1 2 3
RedGT
RedGT Dork
1/31/18 9:07 a.m.

Located near Allentown, PA.

Bumping this.  I happily drove it another 2.5 months but now I've gone off the deep end and bought a truck so it actually needs to go.

1999 Miata.  Rust free.  Really.  Torsen.  5spd.  213k miles.  PS/PW/Powermirrors/cruise/good radio and speakers, the whole 9 yards.  Everything works except the power radio antenna.  Intact top.  Working A/C.  Original tan interior, and I accumulated most of the parts to convert to a black interior but haven't done it yet.  Seats are black NA ones with a foamectomy on the driver's side.  I'm 6'2" and fit comfortably even with a helmet and the top up.  15" NB wheels reasonably refinished and with Hankook performance all seasons (good daily driver tires), about 4000 miles on them.

Included is a 62k mile NB2 engine out of a 2003 car.  And you can have the engine stand it's on too if you want it.

New RoadsterSport cat/midpipe installed 4k miles ago.  Racing beat muffler.  Non-california 1999 header.  Wideband O2 and gauge.  Boost gauge.

Jackson Racing M45 supercharger kit.  Smaller (better) pulley for 7-8 psi.  This was rebuilt before I bought it and appears to be in very good shape.  Powdercoated black.  I changed the snout oil upon installation.  System is entirely installed on the car and running well, for about 3500 miles now.  Engine management is JR PowerCard and Timing Card with ECU harness.  They work well enough but a megasquirt would be better.

Issues: 

-The right rear parking brake cable is frozen and disconnected but the brake still holds the car effectively. 

-CEL for front O2, rear O2, and sometimes it notices the EGR is The behind-the-cat O2 sensor isn't currently installed so there is a CEL for that.  The primary O2 is currently in need of replacement so it is unplugged and there is a CEL for that.  The car doesn't need either one when running on the tuning cards.  For me, driving under 5,000 miles per year there is no emissions inspection but if you live in an area with emissions checks you would need 2 O2 sensors and to reinstall the EGR tube in order to remove the CEL.  I have the right EGR tube for the car, included.

-Body:  There is a crease in the right front fender, the front bumper is rough, and the hood has a small bend at the very leading edge in one corner.  The paint is peeling from the top of the mirrors as is typical.  The deck lid has a crease in it.  A new perfect deck lid is included, but is not color matched.  The title is reconstructed because of this fender bender. (2013ish)

Suspension is stock shocks and springs that actually ride well.

New radiator.  New front main seal.  Some of the coolant hoses are new.  I polished the headlights and refinished the wheels.  New tires. New valve cover gasket.  Timing belt/water pump was done not long ago, 12k miles i think?

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
1/31/18 9:10 a.m.

I'm not in the market, but something I noticed is, there's no mention of color of the car.  Pictures obviously are even better but this detail could help.

Good luck with sale.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
1/31/18 9:14 a.m.

Pics up now, I've learned to hit post and then add pics otherwise i screw everything up.  Boy you're quick.  More pics coming in a day or two, it's garaged at the moment and hard to photograph.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/31/18 9:15 a.m.

Where is all of this located?  Be great if it was close to Denver, CO...

RedGT
RedGT Dork
1/31/18 9:16 a.m.

Hardtop available for $700 with the car only (since you'd need it to rallycross), otherwise I'm keeping it as I have another Miata.

The daisy wheels in this picture have custom cut snow tires on them, which you are welcome to have with the car too if you want them.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
1/31/18 9:18 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Allentown, Pennsylvania.  Added to first post.  Thanks.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/31/18 9:40 a.m.

Allentown isn't far from me.... That want is strong. Seems like a good candidate for a fun daily. 

If I do end up coming to see it or whatever I would want to learn a little more about the fueling adjustment piece, but it sounds like you're familiar with what it needs. 

Trying to think of how I could pay for it, or if I have anything you might even be interested in trading...

RedGT
RedGT Dork
1/31/18 9:44 a.m.

Tow vehicle trade!  I am eyeing 2003-2005 explorers with the V8 and towing package, seem to go for $3000-$4000 in nice shape.

The fueling adjustment is simply "oh look the wideband is reading a little lean?  better push the '+' button once or twice."

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/31/18 9:52 a.m.
RedGT said:

Tow vehicle trade!  I am eyeing 2003-2005 explorers with the V8 and towing package, seem to go for $3000-$4000 in nice shape.

Yeah, no tow vehicles here... At least none for sale. And unfortunately any tax money in the next couple months needs to pay off the BMW... It kills me to have to sit out on a deal like this because it's just about exactly what I was considering doing, pay off the BMW, sell it, and get something like this. 

RedGT said:

The fueling adjustment is simply "oh look the wideband is reading a little lean?  better push the '+' button once or twice."

I see. That's simple enough. 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/31/18 10:19 a.m.

Well, that's too far for me unfortunately.  Was hoping it'd be within a 6 hour drive, I could load it on the trailer and take it home.

Good luck with your sale!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/31/18 10:38 a.m.

Ugh... so much want... my favorite Miata.  

Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor space to deal with a car that needs work to pass local inspection.

Do you have all of the bits needed to remove the supercharger and return it to stock?

RedGT
RedGT Dork
1/31/18 11:11 a.m.

Yes, all parts to go back to stock are included.  I put the SC on myself in June and kept everything that came off.  IIRC there was an irreversible change to a coolant tube at the throttle body  but the spare engine includes a whole new TB so you're good.

Yeah the lack of local emissions made me lazy.  It's what, $100 in sensors and some contortionist work to make it pass?  I just never had a reason to.  Now that I've decided to sell it I'll work on that stuff as I have time I guess.  It'll need to pass to have any luck on craigslist.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/31/18 11:25 a.m.

In reply to RedGT :

https://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/d/2007-mercury-mountaineer/6475941397.html

Maybe shouldn't show you this, cuz I may be interested.

Mountaineers are cheaper than Explorers...?

RedGT
RedGT Dork
1/31/18 11:33 a.m.

Mountaineers of that era got a 3500 lb tow rating vs the Explorer's 7000 lb.  I've gotta look at why that is.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/31/18 12:43 p.m.

In reply to RedGT :

Post what you find, I'm curious also.

It may be that some Explorers have 4WD and some have AWD, all Mountaineer and AWD.  Other than that the drivetrains are identical.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/31/18 12:49 p.m.
RedGT said:

Mountaineers of that era got a 3500 lb tow rating vs the Explorer's 7000 lb.  I've gotta look at why that is.

That is really surprising. I have always thought that they were the same vehicles. 

Badge engineering is a lot more complicated than I thought!

Oh yeah, I like the Miata. Good thing it's not close by, I'm really having a hard time resisting the urge to buy one. Especially want one with the Eaton blower, had one of those on my Tacoma. Loved the torque curve, loved the sound. 

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/31/18 12:53 p.m.

Towing

NewCars.com says towing is "markedly more the Mercury Mountaineer's forte than it is the average midsize SUV's," as the 2007 model's towing capacity ranges from 3,500 pounds with front-wheel drive and 6,930 pounds on the Mountaineer's Premier V8 model when fully equipped with the optional towing package. However, Kelley Blue Bookrecommends drivers leave the towing for the V8 models.

Towing varies wildly with the options chosen, also notice it says front wheel drive?  Maybe they meant 2 wheel drive, that I can believe.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/31/18 8:51 p.m.

I was hoping to see this was sold. Sounds too perfect for me. Especially the parts about the body creases. I don't want to have to worry about the body. 

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
2/1/18 8:11 a.m.

I've been kicking the idea of a Miata, and being a reasonably priced one with a supercharger AND hard top available?  PA can't be more than 3-4hrs from Dayton.  Hmm..  Just filed tax return.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/1/18 8:53 a.m.

As the owner of a supercharged Miata, I'd just like to say SOMEONE BUY THIS.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/1/18 8:56 a.m.

I'd love to have it, if it was within a days drive I'd be all over it.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
2/1/18 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

If my understanding of Ohio is correct (brother is in Columbus), none of the CEL stuff is a problem for you either devil  I'm about 7 hours from you though.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
2/1/18 10:08 a.m.

I can't believe nobody has stepped up to buy this yet.  It's a deal!

(I lacks the funds to buy sad)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/18 10:38 a.m.

Here's what I read: 

1999 Miata.  Rust free.  Really.  Torsen.  5spd.  PS/PW/Powermirrors/cruise/good radio and speakers.

Everything works. Intact top.  Working A/C. 

15" NB wheels with Hankook performance all seasons 

Included NB2 engine out of a 2003 car with engine stand. 

New Roadster Sport cat/midpipe. Racing beat muffler.  Non-california 1999 header.  Wideband O2 and gauge.  Boost gauge.

Jackson Racing M45 supercharger with better pulley for 7-8 psi.  System is entirely installed on the car and running well.

Engine management is JR PowerCard and Timing Card with ECU harness.  Pulley works welland the car has 7+ psi of boost.

Daisy wheels with custom cut snow tires.  Add hard top for $700. 

$3500, you can drive it home to Pittsburgh. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
2/1/18 12:26 p.m.

I like that ad too, just entirely glosses over how the average idiot would struggle with inspection. :D

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WRC4LnMpr7sFzH05pgF9FrkoijhfRMolXhSDn4ST8wCx0B5g7ixqG9xKKcwSuO5H