nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/23/19 9:17 p.m.

same as my truck cost. smiley

gotta be fake?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/23/19 10:42 p.m.

I bet it's $250 for one section of a specific size.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/23/19 11:52 p.m.

i later thought that too but having recently bought cheap stuff in the $80 range it might not still be too bad.  I just don't have anywhere to put it sort of well honestly I don't.  Oh well deals always pop up year in year out. smiley

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
1/24/19 6:17 a.m.

Local place near me sells uprights for @$50 each, shelf beams for @$15 each, and the wire racks for @$10 each, which would put one section like those at @$200. 

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
1/24/19 7:02 a.m.

I have about 200’ of pallet racking in the shop and it was sourced from a local company. That company outfits large warehouses and always has “scratch & dent & bent” pieces in his yard. When I need something, I go look thru the bent pieces, measure for the height that I need and see if I can find pieces that will work. Normally the uprights are 20’+ tall and are bent right where they attach to the floor when a forklift hits it. They cannot be reused, so if I only need some 12’ tall, cutting them gets me what I need and he gets some “walk around cash” for the damaged pieces. I normally pay between $20-25 for uprights and $10-20 for the cross beams. Also, I’ve never bought any of the wire racks, instead opting for 2x3’s and 1/2” plywood for shelves. 

Ive also bought several sections of lighter weight racking from CraigsList. It’s currently in our basement storage room and works great! Much cheaper than the chrome wire racking from the big box stores, twice as deep and will literally hold a small car weight wise. 

I suggest searching CL for pallet rack or just pallet, you might be surprised what you find.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
1/25/19 3:42 p.m.

What lotusseven7 and oldopelguy said.  Look for a place near you that deals in used warehouse racking.  I registered for the email list for one in my area and within a month or two of doing that, a package popped up that was like 50 linear feet of shelving (uprights and enough beams to do 3 shelves per section), 12' high, 5500 lb capacity per shelf, for like $550.  Used, but who cares.  

edit - just clicked link, I see that was in Rockville, which is near me.  The place I got mine from is therackboss.com

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/25/19 7:32 p.m.

glad i started this thread. saved it.  i will have a steel building soon i swear. just gotta work on the land part. smiley

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
1/26/19 7:31 a.m.

$250 probably isn't too bad. You can likely save a few bucks by hitting up the local industal supply liquidator.

Locally:

8ft uprights are $50

10 to 12 foot uprights are $60

8 to 10 foot rails are $20

The grates are $12

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
1/26/19 7:35 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Every major city has at least one place that buys and sells used racking.  Commercial racking is massively better made than most of the cheap imported stuff not to mention a tiny fraction of the cost. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GslMEu1EoDX4fTJXJorjPsm1mn7LLFmYq3I4ywbv0J2qvARSDN3IhUYMeTQbKEGN