1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/17 4:25 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

That looks like a decent deal. FYI the '84 Z-51 has the stiffest springs of any C4. 

Scooter
Scooter Dork
9/24/17 6:59 a.m.
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/24/17 8:39 a.m.

I live in New Alexandria.  If anybody wants me to check that out, let me know.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/24/17 8:50 a.m.
stroker said:

So what is THIS actually worth?

I don't know...but I'm AWFULLY tempted to contact the guy and find out.

jabos7
jabos7 New Reader
9/26/17 7:12 p.m.

I've never seen a c-list ad that has 13 pics, in which every single one could be labeled "ouch"!

Pete Gossett
9/26/17 8:44 p.m.
ClemSparks said:
stroker said:

So what is THIS actually worth?

I don't know...but I'm AWFULLY tempted to contact the guy and find out.

Well the Dana 44 is worth a grand, and maybe $500-each for the motor & trans. So I'd offer $750. 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/27/17 8:40 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

My usual answer has Been " I have the Parts to Fix that"  But this time I don't think I have enough Parts.  Like Pete Said 750 but IF you needed running gear MAYbe 1000.oo

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/27/17 5:27 p.m.

I imagine for any real performance hopes you want a manual but the 4+3 can be not so durable?

Pete Gossett
9/27/17 6:21 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

Not necessarily. The 4+3 isn't a smooth shifting transmission, and the 700r4 is a (cheap) valve body from being fully manual if you care to go that far. Honestly, with V8 torque the automatic isn't the penalty-box it is behind smaller engines. It was good enough for Rodger Johnson to win multiple national championships for about a decade.

2GRX7
2GRX7 New Reader
9/27/17 9:43 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
9/27/17 10:33 p.m.

Just an FYI for potential project c4 vette buyers based on my experience...the firm asking price is usually 2 or 3 times what sellers will actually take.  Moreso than most used project cars.

Probably didn't need to be said.  Snagged my piece of E36 m3 c4 for $500 after they had it listed for $1700 firm.  Took them 3 weeks to come to that conclusion, but pictures of Ben Franklin laid on hood convinced them.  They even threw in the harbor freight blue tarp covering it.wink

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/29/17 7:02 a.m.

Is there a go to spot to maybe search for c4's that are slightly more expensive but maybe someone has already done some track mods to? How much effort/cost is involved in switching from auto to manual in these?

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/29/17 7:59 a.m.

Corvetteforums, prices of nice ones are pretty low so buying a pile isn't a great savings unless you WANT to nickel and dime it to nice or race it.

Pete Gossett
9/29/17 9:22 a.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

The effort to swap wouldn't be any worse than any other car. The 4+3 isn't particularly desirable, so I'd guess it's not expensive; however, the Dana 44 that was behind them is. The ZF 6 speed is pretty pricy though.

Honestly, I'd suggest finding a Z51 that fits your price range, but don't worry about what trans is in it. Drive it, then decide if it's worth swapping - and I'd suggest driving a 4+3 car before you go through the expense and effort of doing that swap.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/29/17 9:02 p.m.

What do you get with the Z51 you wouldn't get by upgrading shocks anyway? I just don't know enough about them to know if I need to be looking for a manual vs an auto for track work.

Pete Gossett
9/29/17 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

1.94-turn lock-to-lock steering, stiffer springs, extra cooling fan. There are variations across the years, but generally a Z51 will have the lower rear gears too. 

In the case of my 85 Z51, even though it's an automatic it has the lower rear gears(don't remember the ratio offhand), and also cloth sport seats. Those are separate options from the Z51 package, but were frequently paired with it. The Z51 also included 16"x9.5" wheels instead of 16"x9"(even though stock tire size was 255/50-16 for both), but you'll probably want to swap to 18" wheels if you really want to stuff some(315) rubber under the car. 

I have a site bookmarked somewhere that has all the specs listed. I'll see if I can find it. 

EDIT: This site lists spring rate, wheel rate, swaybar size, and wheel size across the C4 years and Z51 vs. non-Z51. While this site gives the following generic overview of the differences from year to year:

RPO Z51 Performance Handling Package (1984-90, 1996)

Original Option Price: $350-1,295 (The latter price represents 1988 models, which included 17 inch wheels)

Much more common on C5s and C6s than it was on C4s, the Z51 package had a few small changes over its few years available on a C4. 

1984 models: Heavy duty springs, shocks, and bushings, larger sway bars, fast ratio steering, engine oil cooler, and auxiliary fan.

1985-90 models: Heavy duty springs and bushings, Bilstein shocks, larger sway bars, fast ratio steering, and heavy duty cooling.  Larger front brake rotors and calipers became standard in 1988, as well as 17 inch wheels. Both Z51 and base suspension spring rates were decreased in 1985 due to harsh ride complaints from the 1984 model.

1996 models: Heavy duty springs and bushings, Bilstein shocks, and larger sway bars.  Heavy duty cooling options and fast ratio steering had become standard on all models at this point. Non-Grand Sport models also received 275/40/17 size tires on all four wheels instead of 285/40/17s in the rear, and 255,/45/17s in the front.

Option Restrictions: 1987-90 models required a manual transmission; Not available on a Convertible until 1996; 1996 models also required power seats, and Performance Axle Ratio, if ordered on an automatic car.  Not available with FX3 or F45.

RPO Z52 Sport Handling Package (1987-88)

Original Option Price: $470-970 (1988 models included 17 inch wheels, hence the jump in price)

No doubt introduced to provide a suspension option for those who demanded a convertible or automatic car, Z52 combined all of the cooling options and fast ratio steering, as well as Bilstein shocks in a slightly softer suspension.  This proved to be a very popular option, finding its way into near half of all of the Corvettes produced for these two years.

Option Restrictions: Not available with Z51.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/29/17 9:54 p.m.
conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
9/29/17 10:05 p.m.

It's a bonus to have a Z51 or, in some years, a Z52 or Z07 car.  They usually have fluid coolers in addition to the extras Pete mentioned. The fast steering rack alone is worth the price of admission so to speak. A base car will keep your hands very busy on an autocross course.

If you find the right car and it isn't Z51 the rack can be swapped out for a few hundred, but the lower rear axle ratio is something you really want to have even in a base car because it's not so easy for most of us to change the rear gears out ourselves. Look for RPO G92 on the build sticker. 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/30/17 8:44 a.m.

And those RPO codes are usually in the glovebox or are they found where cars normally have the vin plates etc?

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
9/30/17 10:15 a.m.

One of two places, depending on the year: under the center console lid/armrest or under the lid of the PS rear storage compartment. 

Willis
Willis New Reader
9/30/17 6:57 p.m.
Pete Gossett
10/1/17 9:30 a.m.

In reply to Willis :

That looks pretty nice, glad it's not close to me.

Willis
Willis New Reader
10/1/17 5:19 p.m.

If It wasn't for the weekend I would have already been in contact with the guy.  Now, tomorrow...say around 2pm when I'm a little bored at work.............

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/1/17 6:55 p.m.

well,  no key is way better than no title...........

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/2/17 7:32 a.m.
Willis said:

If It wasn't for the weekend I would have already been in contact with the guy.  Now, tomorrow...say around 2pm when I'm a little bored at work.............

If you buy it and end up not wanting it I'd take an $800 corvette. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c2yh95P9UEz38Ma0sjYG2XlhXbqb0OfEA9aYrCdOGjGQXkMQd6Xbgw4NuSZPkOUb