1 2
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/13/22 3:21 p.m.

Sold - sold- sold

Complete TPI system from a Corvette.

The manifold set is from a 1989 and the computer / harness is from a 1991. This uses a MAP not a MAF. The computer is in a weather proof  box that mounts under the hood, great for retrofits. Some rerouting of vac lines will be needed but it will work. Came off a running car. Includes distributor and fuels lines too.

GRM price has been lowered to $100 !

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/13/22 4:03 p.m.

Dang that's hawt!   Nothing in the fleet can use that setup but I do like the looks of that a LOT!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/13/22 4:12 p.m.

Stampie or Doc to the yellow courtesy phone.  Stampie or Doc, please.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/13/22 4:20 p.m.

I like this, but vortec heads won't work 

5/13/22 4:33 p.m.

Someone made a short run of manifolds to work with Vortec heads. Good luck finding one though.

The aluminum Vette heads are basically what came on the ZZ4 crate motors and do a pretty good job. Any of the 87-95 center bolt heads should fit.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/13/22 4:37 p.m.

man.... that would be great on the C10.....

5/13/22 4:41 p.m.

Buy lunch and I'll meet you half way.

5/13/22 4:48 p.m.

If you want to use this on the early style heads, swap the base with one from 85-86. They aren't hard to find.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/13/22 5:16 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

Someone made a short run of manifolds to work with Vortec heads. Good luck finding one though.

They're still available from Scoggen Dickey and Summit Racing.  They're not cheap though.

I've used one on a dyno mule I built for testing prototype ignition systems and components

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/13/22 6:47 p.m.

I'm still tempted 

5/13/22 7:12 p.m.

What would you put it on?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/13/22 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

He's got a Morris Challenge car he's been wrenching on

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/16783/

5/13/22 7:21 p.m.

I'll be in Atlanta june16-19

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
5/13/22 8:34 p.m.

So for those that know more than me, what would I need to do to make this work properly on my 84 Vette, aside from just swapping the parts all over?  I was about to do a rebuild on the crossfire tbis but would prefer to use this for a variety of reasons. 

APEowner
5/13/22 9:27 p.m.
Sonic said:

So for those that know more than me, what would I need to do to make this work properly on my 84 Vette, aside from just swapping the parts all over?  I was about to do a rebuild on the crossfire tbis but would prefer to use this for a variety of reasons. 

My initial thought is that you shouldn't need anything significant beyond a different fuel pump.  My recollection is that the TBI systems ran at a lower pressure than the TPI stuff.

5/13/22 10:11 p.m.

Are you still using the original heads? This won't fit early heads, you would need a lower manifold from a 85-86. Is your car manual or automatic trans?

If its an auto, you'll need the right TV cable. 84 was surely different

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
5/13/22 10:53 p.m.

Completely original 84, manual trans so no TV cable to worry about.  Getting a lower intake shouldn't be too hard.  Fuel pump isn't bad either, I did that already as the original was crusty AF after sitting for 20 years, but was also cheap.  

APEowner
5/14/22 3:17 a.m.

If you want to use this on the early style heads, swap the base with one from 85-86. They aren't hard to find.

What heads is this setup for?  I thought all non-vortec intakes were interchangeable?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/22 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Sonic :

It's super easy. Power, switched power, ground, fuel pump, fuel return line, and an ALDL connector. I ran one of these on my 72 Monte back around 1992.

5/14/22 2:53 p.m.
APEowner said:

What heads is this setup for?  I thought all non-vortec intakes were interchangeable?

The heads changed in 87, easily identified by the valve cover bolts being on the center of the cover rather than the perimeter. The intake manifold bolts go in at a different angle but not straight down like a vortec. 

APEowner
5/14/22 7:22 p.m.
APEowner said:

The heads changed in 87, easily identified by the valve cover bolts being on the center of the cover rather than the perimeter. The intake manifold bolts go in at a different angle but not straight down like a vortec. 

Ahh.  I forgot about that.  Thank you.  As I recall there was interchangeably by enlarging the holes and using tapered washers but there's probably not enough room for the bolt heads when trying to put a late intake on earlier heads.

5/22/22 10:01 a.m.

With all the interest I figured someone would have scooped this up by now.

$200.  You know you want it.

8/27/22 6:42 p.m.

Offers? Anyone?

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/27/22 7:20 p.m.

That's my favorite look on a SBC; but I have nothing to put it on! Bad timing for a "one day", but if it's still around in another 3 months...

8/28/22 7:22 p.m.

Careful, you'll get email in 3 months.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z1ZTAJx04QL4VdsuQdElRdN2dqYN8imB5dbAxFWT0gZrQ5zrRIRxbMfOsr9f3RhY