1 2 3
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 12:37 p.m.
dherr (Forum Supporter) said:

Height being the issue? I put an LT1 and T56 in an MGB GT and Keith did the same with an LS motor. On the GT6, the turbo would not clear the shock tower without  surgery. 

Yes, hood buldge or MGC hood would be needed. Also, length is an issue. I'm keeping it as a street car so I want to keep the heater box and associated panels. So that means the steering rack would have to move even more than i've already needed to move it. 

Not that it can't be done, but rather that it becomes a major surgery. Where's boxheadtim? seems like this would be an awesome way to make lemonade out of a blown engine BRZ...

RX8 would be a killer candidate too. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 12:39 p.m.

I got the LS1 into my GT with the standard bonnet and the heater box. No comment on the steering rack location :) At some point, it really is best to just chop the front of the car off and rebuild it.

I think the Ecoboost high pressure pump could cause problems with the stock heater box, though. It's in just the wrong place.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 1:11 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Correct on the high pressure pump. Also, wouldn't the V8 be not quite as tall up front? The very front of the motor is the issue for hood clearance.

Keith Tanner
8/5/21 1:15 p.m.

The V8 is full height at the front - there's a throttle body up there :) 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/6/21 8:57 a.m.

Hmmmmm Thanks for the tag AWS; definitely interested for the wife's red NC. Not sure how involved this would be, but price & location are extremely attractive.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/6/21 1:09 p.m.

Turns out (I forgot) that the transmission was trimmed to work in my application (non NC), so won't bolt into an NC, as I removed the section for the power frame connector. But should be ideal for anyone doing a swap into something else.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/7/21 1:35 a.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

Disappointing. I wonder how difficult that is to find... or is it the entire rear trans housing casting?

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/21 10:32 a.m.

So you removed the upper (DS) mount ear, but retained the lower center location?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/7/21 1:49 p.m.

I've got an MZR 2.0 to fit under the hood of a 61 Midget. I'd wager we could get it under whatever you want. Raceline sells a valve cover that will reduce height about 1/2". 

also- I kept the ppf mounts and just welded up a new ppf to fit where I needed it. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/7/21 2:02 p.m.

It just dawned on me I could put this in my Nissan Hardbody.   The original Z-24i throttle body injection has E36 M3 the bed.  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
8/9/21 7:08 a.m.

Height and length would not be the issue for a Volvo 122, but the width might interfere with the upper control arm mounts.  I gotta get my inch-telling stick dealie out and check again.  It'll be close. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/9/21 9:07 a.m.

Let me know as I'll be pulling it out of the GT6 this week. Happy to take any measurements you need that are not on the drawing. 

Keith Tanner
8/9/21 9:29 a.m.
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

Disappointing. I wonder how difficult that is to find... or is it the entire rear trans housing casting?

Probably just as easy to find a new trans. Or work on your aluminum welding skills :)

If you've still got the lower points in place, you can mount it like a normal transmission with a bushing under the tail.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/9/21 10:13 a.m.

That was my intentions, the lower portion was fine for building a mount, but the upper section was too bulky for my GT6 project.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/22/21 6:59 a.m.

Pulled the engine and transmission out of the GT6 yesterday, so this is available now for anyone needing 250+ HP in a compact package all set for RWD.

Harness is complete, this is what you need for SCS Delta modify to work with their standalone ECU.

Transmission is in great condition, shifts nicely, no play in the main shaft, you can see how I had to modify the tail section to fit in the narrow GT6 chassis. You can easily fabricate a tail mount off the bottom two holes of the power frame connector.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
8/22/21 9:11 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Height and length would not be the issue for a Volvo 122, but the width might interfere with the upper control arm mounts.  I gotta get my inch-telling stick dealie out and check again.  It'll be close. 

If you set back the motor enough that is not a problem!  :)

Mine is under the windshield.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/22/21 5:35 p.m.

See we have now solved all the problems including how to get it to fit in almost any ca :-)

Come on, someone needs this combination in their project!

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/23/21 7:55 p.m.
dherr (Forum Supporter) said:

See we have now solved all the problems including how to get it to fit in almost any ca :-)

Come on, someone needs this combination in their project!

I wish I hadn't seen this, because it would be pretty entertaining in my Z.

And it would be against the grain and piss a lot of people off... nice

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/24/21 6:27 a.m.

Sounds like you need to do it smiley

damarble
damarble Reader
8/28/21 12:21 a.m.

Smoking deal!

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/28/21 5:55 a.m.

Need to do some measurements to see if this would fit in the 924... Wouldn't need the transmission, though, but would need to figure out how to slice off the bell housing and make an adapter plate to bolt the torque tube to... and how to get the whole package up to Boston...

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/28/21 1:06 p.m.

That would work, I am sure I'll be able to sell the transmission . I am happy to strap it all to a pallet, but shipping would not be inexpensive, perhaps the GRM train can help to get it up there? Of course this is coming from the guy that got up at 4:30 this morning to drive to the Jersey Shore to pick up a TR4 engine and 7 hours later is now finally home.....

dherr (Forum Supporter)
9/2/21 7:03 a.m.

This is going up on Ebay today, need it out of my garage unless someone steps up!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/21 7:50 a.m.

I was thinking about this package yesterday while laying under a crusty NA6 wondering why I'm going through all this work for what is sure to be a subpar powerplant and trans. 

Just not in the cards at the moment unfortunately. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
9/2/21 8:16 a.m.

How much does it cost to have the standalone ECU mod work done?

EDIT- just went to the website...looks like about 1400 pounds.  Woof.  OK, I'm out. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bl31lDRNJCa1yPiZGxWjsFkVnylrFx5qeSkkaNjT5TAxdiluSMMe3gerRXep5QBH