GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
8/19/21 8:46 a.m.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=4065&acctid=12157

This is near to me in Nebraska and I've used GovDeals before; and light googling shows parts are available. Is buying a used lift for shadetree stuff a good idea?

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/19/21 9:19 a.m.

It's probably not a bad idea...

I'd just be patient and careful putting it together and making sure there's no leaks and the safety cables are fine and all that. You could have a good lift for a fraction of a new one. 

I got an Atlas, basically new. They're on the cheaper end, but good, but currently are out of stock a lot of places and prices have gone up because of steel costs I'm assuming. 

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
8/19/21 9:19 a.m.

Absolutely. I have one of those exact lifts in my shop right now. I call it a foster lift because I'm basically "storing" if for a friend. He retired from wrenching professionally and sold his shop, I get to use it until he builds his new garage at his new house.  I already had a Rotary brand lift so now there are two and I'm kind of spoiled now. Nice to stack cars out of the way.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/19/21 10:38 a.m.

This is a great question in the general sense.

I don't know much about lifts, and suppose that won't change until after I've bought one, which I hope to just do once.

So I'm planning to just buy new and have it installed by people who do that for a living.

Not knowing what I don't know makes that feel like a safety issue, but it also feels like it could be burning money out of ignorance. I'd just rather be out some additional money than end up wearing a project car.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
8/19/21 11:26 a.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

This is a great question in the general sense.

I don't know much about lifts, and suppose that won't change until after I've bought one, which I hope to just do once.

So I'm planning to just buy new and have it installed by people who do that for a living.

Not knowing what I don't know makes that feel like a safety issue, but it also feels like it could be burning money out of ignorance. I'd just rather be out some additional money than end up wearing a project car.

Damn, that's an excellent point I hadn't considered; like I have no question that I could center it properly and anchor it, but I don't know if my slab in my garage could take it; I just don't know how thick it is. Thanks for the advice!

wae
wae UberDork
8/19/21 11:49 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Find an inconspicuous spot and start drilling and see how far you go.  If it isn't thick enough or if you have some cracking, I think you can just cut out a couple sections, dig down an appropriate amount, and then pour fresh concrete.  I've heard that you can actually put the anchors in the curing aggregate so that you don't have to drill when you're finished, but make sure they're in the right places!

I went with a scissor lift, primarily because I didn't want to do the concrete work.  I figured that I pretty much never do anything with RWD transmissions or anything, so the fact that the lift blocks the center of the underside wasn't a big deal.  Naturally, it didn't take too long until I had a jeep that needed a new clutch....

Oh, but to answer your actual question...  It's going to be a PITA to pick it up and unload it, and you may need to put some money into it at the local hydraulic shop, but I don't think it's a bad idea to go used for a discount like that.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/19/21 12:38 p.m.
wae said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

It's going to be a PITA to pick it up and unload it

I picked mine up from a buddies' place and just used an engine hoist. Wrapped a 2" ratchet strap around the lift post and adjusted till I found a good balance point, and then was able to put it onto the truck. Same for unloading. Also same for standing them up in the garage, just adjusted the pickup point a bit so it was tippy. Me and my brother in law did all of that and had it bolted down in no time, just the two of us. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/19/21 1:08 p.m.

The shop I picked up my used lift (a 1988 VBM which became Challenger in the 90s) used a forklift to lower the lift onto the biggest uhaul trailer I could rent.  Then I drove an eye-bolt into the wall, and used a come-along to wheel the lift out of the trailer on furniture movers.   I had a garage door opener at the top of the ceiling, so I used a pipe between the opener support brackets and the come along to lift it upright, and that aforementioned eye bolt to help me walk it into position.  

The lift has been flawless for the past 8 years that I've owned it.  

I always be sure to rest vehicles on the safety latches, so the hydraulics aren't overly pressurized for long periods of time.  I don't know if it matters or not, though.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/21 2:37 p.m.

Call the guys that service lifts for the auto shops around you.

I bought a used lift on cl then had the lift guys move it and install in at my shop. I paid $1500 for the lift and 600 to move and install. Seller was an ahole so I gave the installers an extra $100 tip for putting up with his BS.

Anyway, they commented that they always have used lifts in stock, and they would've charged me about the same as I paid for the used one. So if I ever need another I'm going to just call them.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
8/19/21 3:05 p.m.

I've purchased parts for the lifts from this place:

https://www.sviinternational.com/

They have parts for all manufacturers.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lUEgyHOFCZN4CrjxcSMIOlVb1lF4n5IkjymOMJLIqtQdDFRtltWejvdJ0Ps97CVq