OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
8/1/21 11:37 a.m.

Hey all.  Had these for a year or so, finally got around to getting a spare set of e21 strut tubes to shorten and put these in to, and they aren't going to fit.  Turns out that BMW used the excess inventory of #2 pencils for strut tubes...

I think they go for $200ea new, so figure that for the pair, plus shipping.  Or ?  As Monty Hall would say...

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
8/1/21 12:53 p.m.

Interesting. These may be useful in MN12 (89-97 Thunderbird/Cougar) applications, where performance shocks are NLA and people have been working on DIY insert conversions for a while now.

As discussed here: https://www.tccoa.com/threads/s4gunns-tbird-front-suspension-options-summary-bilstein-insert-diy.178561/

I volunteer tentative interest, but defer to anyone with more definitive interest/cash in hand.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
8/1/21 3:35 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Might one inquire as to at what price point your interest grows beyond tentative?  I mean, I know where I'm posting, as it were.  surprise 

I've got other parts coming, so at some point a price that offsets most of the cost of those becomes attractive...

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
8/1/21 4:10 p.m.

In reply to OldGray320i :

The $200 seems reasonable, I would just need a couple weeks before I could outlay that amount.

toonarmy
toonarmy New Reader
8/1/21 5:18 p.m.

Might be interested- apparently these are the same part number for 510s as well.  Where would these be shipping from?

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
8/1/21 5:43 p.m.

Re: shipping, great question, from 85749, Tucson. 

It's a "generic" race insert, so if it fits your strut tube (they're an OD of 43.5mm) you'll have some good dampers.  

Check the Koni website for dimensions and specs. 

toonarmy
toonarmy New Reader
8/2/21 9:39 a.m.

PM sent. 

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
8/13/21 4:04 p.m.

You could always weld in new tubes.  That being said, if you still have them, I will take them.  Fit perfectly in a TR8.  Already have several sets in different TR8s.  Love them.  PM sent

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/21 2:08 a.m.

I think those fit pre 85.5 944 and the 87 944s. I would fave to chk part numbers to be sure. 

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
8/14/21 4:27 a.m.

He PMed me back that they were sold.

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/14/21 3:11 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I think those fit pre 85.5 944 and the 87 944s. I would fave to chk part numbers to be sure. 

For future reference, they do not. I have both sets of tubes and the early pre 85.5 ones are much too small (I bought them with hopes they would work and I wouldnt need to cut up the set on the car and weld them back together), and the later ones (also an 87, its what I have on my car now) are basically an interference fit, so if you dont weld the gland nut on top really perfectly, your going to have a bad time. 

toonarmy
toonarmy New Reader
2/12/24 9:39 p.m.

After 2.5 years of these being stored on a shelf in my basement with all the other 510 parts, I've come to the realization that I'm never going to use them (times change, plans change...). With my focus firmly on the track Miata, I'd love for these to find a home where they'll actually be put to use. 

Still never installed and remain in the bubblewrap packaging in which I received them. Looking to get out of them what I put in ($200 plus shipping).

Irony?  If you'd posted them up last year I'd have bought them back.

I finally had some bigger strut tubes welded on, and bought another set of them.

They're actually really nice in use.

Gratuitous pic of the car on them (which now has a fuel pump/possible relay issue... Missed today's auto-x due to that and - more importantly and accurately - the wife's disk pushing on the nerve in her lower back).

toonarmy
toonarmy New Reader
3/22/24 3:37 p.m.

Still available!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qcSavOqgPQOekhDzep7Q7oItxZUhket3UKUS0rYidL6GLNLnfdbVjZ5Yf3WdbqMt