partsstuff
partsstuff
9/23/19 7:40 p.m.

I have 3 sets of Mazda 12A cases including rotor housing and 1 engine complete without exhaust, distributor or intake. Engine supposedly a 28,000  mile example from a 1982 RX7. 1 set of cases is from a RX3 except 1 rotor housing from a RX7 all other cases are from RX7's. Engine turns and sounds like it has 6 pulses in 2 crank rotations.  Trying to figure how what price to ask and how to inspect rotor housings. Any advice on asking price? Thanks

monsterbronco
monsterbronco Reader
9/25/19 5:21 a.m.

Here are some pictures that Partsstuff (My uncle) sent me.

more at this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DqT1yxSa17sLKP82A

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
9/25/19 8:26 a.m.

Price is probably going to depend greatly on the condition on the housings. If they are scored, pitted or flaked then is likely scrap.

An unknown unopened motor is probably in the $300 range depending on how complete it is. 

Good luck!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/26/19 2:14 p.m.

You'll want to get pictures of the rotor housings and document anything odd about them.

A brand new 12a housing is almost $1000. If yours are in very good shape, you can probably get $500 each for them.

There is an article on determining the condition of rotor housings here.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/19 5:10 a.m.

Where are you located?

Also, chrome flaking is somewhat to be expected on a 12A, the Mazdatrix guide was written when parts were still available.  Nowadays, as long as there is something there and it's not dented from FOD, it's considered to be good enough to run.

I have held on to all of my "bad" rotor housings, because they will eventually be the least-bad option, and people are still working on rechroming processes.  When that happens, i have a lot of cores...

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/27/19 1:00 p.m.

Atkins rotary sells brand new 12A rotor housings. I think they are producing them in-house- that is where I got the $1000 price tag for new ones.

There is always the cermet coating for your rotor housings, too.

Knurled.
9/27/19 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Atkins is no longer turning 13B rotor housings into 12A.

partsstuff
partsstuff New Reader
10/15/19 6:31 p.m.

OK so I cannot count I actually have 7 rotor housings and none have chrome flaking or pitting that I see. The housing off the RX3 has not been cleaned like the others. Thanks for all your help. Parts are located in West Chester Ohio which is 25 miles north of Cincinnati. I will upload pictures soon.

Knurled.
10/15/19 6:32 p.m.

I will buy them all.

partsstuff
partsstuff New Reader
10/15/19 6:42 p.m.

partsstuff
partsstuff New Reader
10/15/19 6:47 p.m.

partsstuff
partsstuff New Reader
10/15/19 6:49 p.m.

To Knurled, where are you located and have you looked at the pictures?

Knurled.
10/15/19 6:50 p.m.

Still will buy them all.  The side housings interest me also.

wae
wae SuperDork
10/15/19 7:38 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

If you need any relay assistance, I anticipate being at the RallyX on the 26th and barring that, we're always up in Canton around the holidays.

Goner
Goner New Reader
10/15/19 9:16 p.m.

I'm interested in these but I am new here and do not know how to send a private message?

Knurled.
10/16/19 5:18 a.m.
wae said:

In reply to Knurled. :

If you need any relay assistance, I anticipate being at the RallyX on the 26th and barring that, we're always up in Canton around the holidays.

I have THREE cars that run and drive and are registered, now!  But thanks for the offer.

monsterbronco
monsterbronco Reader
10/16/19 6:14 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Sent you a message with contact information for partsstuff.  He is having an issue with the site to send.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PVH84V5veUy1TUfkFcLV1jmvegbD64jY3yuqeASec7ndU9eNzKon5nKwFDBJMjsn