1 2
jdogg
jdogg Reader
5/5/20 7:22 p.m.

My parents are moving, and when we were kids he took on a Saab Sonnet project and never finished it and let the scrapyard come for it, but kept the two engines he had for it strangely.

Within the next month they are moving out of their place and he will have these motors up for grabs. I know nothing about them but I'm sure they are complete engines. They were for a 1968 model.

In retrospect, I wished he hadn't got rid of it, I could have done some really cool things with it but I didn't know about cars enough back then to save it. It had a roll cage and was someone's racer.

The engines are in Florida, in Palm Bay. If you are interested, or have one of these cars and are trying to resurrect it, this is the deal for you.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/5/20 8:15 p.m.

Damn I really really keep getting temped to start my unusual engine collection.  How much?  Can't promise they'd ever get used other than to say "Yeah that sitting over there is a Saab Sonnet V4.  Oh you've never seen one?  Let's go look at it."

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Do you still have the kit car? One of these would be great for it. Two would be even better. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/6/20 8:46 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

No that's going to Gumby here soon.  I need to stop looking in these for sale sections.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/20 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Oh, well my second suggestion was going to be use them in the Lotus.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/6/20 11:06 a.m.

You get the engines and you can have the Lotus.  Deal?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/6/20 12:19 p.m.

It sounds like there is talk of a nearly free lotus in here..  Tell me more.

 

I have a Sach's 303 rotary that is the extent of my odd engine collection..

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/6/20 12:50 p.m.

To the OP. There was a group of 5 or 6 Sonnets that sold in the past few years in that area of FL on CL., My guess is that at least some of them were purchased locally. I would try and post the engines on CL and FB Marketplace. Maybe also try listing them on saabnet.com classifieds.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/6/20 1:36 p.m.
nocones said:

It sounds like there is talk of a nearly free lotus in here..  Tell me more.

 

I have a Sach's 303 rotary that is the extent of my odd engine collection..

At this point I'm just trying to see how far I have to go to get Pete to make a bad decision.  He asks about my Lotus every few months.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/20 2:51 p.m.
spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/6/20 4:43 p.m.

I wish I was close.  Those are good little industrial engines.

jdogg
jdogg Reader
5/6/20 7:11 p.m.

You'll have some time and depending on where some of you are I might be able to strap it to my catwalk and deliver it for a nominal fee

03Panther
03Panther Reader
5/6/20 11:11 p.m.
Woody said:

I wish these were close to me.

Also...  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/saab-story/133419/page1/

The suggestion of a 62 Mustang 1 knock-off build is killing me... one more thing to add to the wish book of dreams I'll never see...

That compact little V4 would be very cool in the right application

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/7/20 9:15 a.m.
Woody said:

I wish these were close to me.

Also...  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/saab-story/133419/page1/

Man. That was originally posted during (one of) my hiatus from forums. I could've contributed a LOT to that thread. Ha.

I'd scoop these engines up if they were anywhere near me since we still have a V4 car in the stable.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/20 9:37 a.m.
jdogg said:

You'll have some time and depending on where some of you are I might be able to strap it to my catwalk and deliver it for a nominal fee

I'm in Jacksonville so if you can't find someone that needs them I'll save the little orphan engines.

jdogg
jdogg Reader
4/14/21 11:31 a.m.

These are ready to be moved, want them?

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/14/21 12:54 p.m.

OK, what kind of power do these engines make? I know the sound is glorious, but are they "all bark and no bite"? There might be a Lotus Elan coupe body hanging around here that might be looking for a driveline. Might be.

 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/14/21 3:28 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Damn I really really keep getting temped to start my unusual engine collection.  How much?  Can't promise they'd ever get used other than to say "Yeah that sitting over there is a Saab Sonnet V4.  Oh you've never seen one?  Let's go look at it."

I would LOVE to get those V4’s... but stampies statement above applies to me as well!

i haven’t even been able to make the time to get over to Jacksonville to get the lotus, but a V4 would be perfect in that!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 4:05 p.m.
jdogg said:

These are ready to be moved, want them?

If that's directed at me sure I'll come get em.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/14/21 11:44 p.m.

From this statement from the inter web, "Pinto/Kent/Lima Pattern (also see Taunus/Cologne Pattern) (Lima pattern has the two top bolt holes moved up about an inch) "  Along with : "The 2.3, 2.8, and 2.9 with Taunus/Cologne Pattern, also made it into the Ranger, and Bronco II."

Can I take it that a 5 speed MT would not be too hard to put behind one?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/21 9:51 a.m.
Stampie said:
jdogg said:

These are ready to be moved, want them?

If that's directed at me sure I'll come get em.

Then I'll come help you put them(both) in the Lotus.

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
4/15/21 10:55 a.m.

I could use one of those for my Sonett.  I wish I was closer.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/21 2:05 p.m.

In reply to rustyvw :

You and Powar are neighboring states it looks like.  Maybe we could GRM express them.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/15/21 4:31 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie said:
jdogg said:

These are ready to be moved, want them?

If that's directed at me sure I'll come get em.

Then I'll come help you put them(both) in the Lotus.

I might be right at half way between y’all ... both is a worthy challenge!

Ive got a decent size shop and tools; just a lack of motivation (and money) 

im not sure Pete is backwoods enough to be with me and stampie, but maybe we’d rub off on him!smiley 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/21 6:36 p.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

OK, what kind of power do these engines make? I know the sound is glorious, but are they "all bark and no bite"? There might be a Lotus Elan coupe body hanging around here that might be looking for a driveline. Might be.

 

Threadjack:

I'd like  to know more about the engineless Elan coupe that may potentially be within driving distance of me. 

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
jTs2sMBVtIyQytd7yzClpauys9Wa4wiZXyXm5fjYpgjwqJnmr9A4EBvCchCo5Czk