jdogg
jdogg New Reader
9/24/19 9:08 p.m.

I have access to a fair amount of later Windows XP-era and early Win7-era laptops with serial ports that could be used to program standalone ECUs *looks in the direction of anyone with a Megasquirt or an old Haltech or AEM* All in good condition, most are Core2 architecture Dell. I used to run a laptop repair shop and got out of the business a few years ago, and a friend of mine took it over and runs it now and I just remembered he has all this junk sitting around.

Is this something anyone here would be interested in? They'll be cheap. I know I'm new here but I've been selling on Probetalk since 2004 and eBay back when the Dead Sea was just sick. I got an IBM T30 for my build, but right off the top I know I have a Pentium 3 1.2ghz Dell early netbook collecting dust that I bought for my build and the T30 popped up, and old IBM Thinkpads are cool. I know he has some D6xx models which are Core architecture, a couple of industrial HP's that are C2D and about on par with an IBM T60.

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
9/24/19 10:24 p.m.

I may be interested in one.  My last serial-port-having laptop had some sort of mobo related failure, as a result i haven't been able to touch my tune in a couple years.   The "industrial HP's" sound interesting??

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
9/24/19 11:19 p.m.

USB-Serial adapters exist.  Some work better with Megasquirt than others.  My first one was from DIY Autotune, but it developed issues. My current one is from the Tuner Studio guy.  Can't remember the web name.

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
9/25/19 7:29 a.m.
SkinnyG said:

USB-Serial adapters exist.  Some work better with Megasquirt than others.  My first one was from DIY Autotune, but it developed issues. My current one is from the Tuner Studio guy.  Can't remember the web name.

True.  However it’s one more thing to fail (as you’ve experienced), and I don’t really like the idea of my “nice laptop” bouncing around in the race car either.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
9/25/19 9:33 a.m.

There's not a lot of options beyond that.

I -do- have a lappy with a built-in serial port, but it is antiquated (Win98 I think?) and deathly slow. Eventually, it too, shall die.

jdogg
jdogg New Reader
9/25/19 11:51 a.m.

Tell you guys what, I'll get on the horn with him this week and see about liquidating them on here. They will be cheap and will come with legal Windows installs on them, no pirated junk. They will have batteries, but you MIGHT be on your own about a power supply, and most of the Dells take the standard PA-10 or the PA-9 made for the earlier Latitude, of which I also own a copy. I'll also test the serial ports on them using my own Megasquirt software to make sure it connects to my ECU

The industrial HPs are Elitebooks I believe and definitely run Core2 architecture so they will have enough balls for a Win7 install if you want to do that but honestly XP is just fine for standalone you aren't gaining anything running a newer OS.

The T30 I have is a 2ghz P4 and runs Tunerstudio flawlessly as well as all my Innovate software for my wideband, all under XP SP3 so you should have plenty of balls using Core architecture. Obviously with XP, limit your Internet usage to GRM boards and standalone ECU software downloads lol. The batteries will be hit and miss, I suggest you buy one if you want a working battery these have been sitting a while. I know that 1.2ghz Dell has a bad battery in it and will not hold a charge but it will power on and boot into XP so right off the bat I have that one.

jdogg
jdogg New Reader
10/17/19 11:30 a.m.

Update, my connect fell through on the original store but I got a new one and they have a bunch of that old E36 M3 laying around, I scored a spare T30 and I did see a bunch of other machines with the proper stuff. P3 to Core 2 Duo era machines, is anyone still interested? I have a nice on-hand stash of stuff, I have a Dell Insprion 600m with Pentium M 1.5ghz and WinXP, with serial port, Dell Latitude P3 1.2ghz but with no CD-Rom it's an early Netbook but I've seen them in racecars. I have another P3 1.2ghz Latitude with CD Rom, the older style with the modular bays. All with serial ports and USB as well.

If I can get up enough interested people I'll round up like 5 machines and put them on here, and if you use Megasquirt I can even pre-load the software. All legit OS installs no pirated software.

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
10/21/19 6:48 p.m.

Historically, I've always kept 2-3 old laptops around for garage-duty (I buy them on ebay for $25-$35 and relatively cheap shipping).  I DO like them to have wireless internet connection.

My Autologics (diagnostic computer) can only connect to a 32-bit computer.

Are we on the same page still?

jdogg
jdogg New Reader
10/22/19 9:14 p.m.

Pretty much yeah, what are you looking for?

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
10/23/19 6:54 a.m.

How cheap is cheap? 

jdogg
jdogg New Reader
11/16/19 3:56 p.m.

Probably 50 bucks plus shipping depending on hardware. It's up there a little bit but i'll be fitting them with IDE SSD's if I can find them and that will dramatically improve performance and battery life as well as heat output. I acquired another pair of Pentium 3 Dells as well, complete with serial ports. I'm on the road now though, probably in December when I come home I will list them all here, I think I have like 5 machines. One of the P3 Dells has a car charger with it. I'll make you a good deal and I will be looking for trades too for little things as the time comes close to do my KLZE engine swap

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w9BpPB5aLRA1gM7DktZlnQ395WWvkwW9mcgtvkBWTV9XE15pYI9Kk5ixtIUnb7m2