tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/20 8:49 p.m.

I would really like a competition approved roll bar for a '91 miata, but it must be incredibly cheap. Like the cheapest one ever. Challenge car at half budget cheap.

It doesn't need to clear a soft top or hard top. It doesn't need to be pretty. It doesn't need to have padding or covers or anything Ike that. Just keep me legal for sporting events that require this stuff.

This is a big ask, but this is also the right crowd to ask for just such a task. Typically, I do not pinch pennies for safety gear, but this is challenge related. 

Also, I have a large hoard of na miata parts that could be used in whole or partial trade. Like a large amount of interior parts, carpet, heat/ ac, stereo / speakers, hood, rear bumper, trunk lid, soft top, wheels, steering wheels, clusters, wiring harness, computers / modules, etc.. I don't even have a complete list of it all yet, just packed shelves. 

Located just outside Philly and can figure something out for a good deal.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/20 9:01 p.m.

You're not going to find much at all that is NHRA legal for below 13.5 without building one from tubes yourself.

12/14/20 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Yeah, I figured i probably wouldn't. I am ok with that, for now... taking a 13.5 for a 12 flat car stings a little but I am planning to keep the car for a couple of years during which I can learn to make one myself if need be.

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/14/20 9:33 p.m.

tb, I might be interested in some of the parts stash for a car I am working on.  It has a roll bar in it from Boss Frog, but I don't know if that would satisfy what you are looking for.  Would still be curious about the parts so I'll shoot you an email.

https://deftracing.com/miata_parts/miata_boss_frog_double_hoop_rollbar_standard_black.htm

12/14/20 9:53 p.m.

In reply to Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) :

Replied, and am looking into that bar since I am unfamiliar with convertibles and miata stuff.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/20 11:48 a.m.

In reply to tb (minimally supportive) :

I'd be trying to make friends with Andrew Nelson

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/15/20 11:58 a.m.

I think steel tubes and a welder are the right way to do this. Exclude any steel you cut or grind off. Don't paint it.

12/15/20 2:46 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to tb (minimally supportive) :

I'd be trying to make friends with Andrew Nelson

Well... we are friendly, but not really friends, if that makes sense. Just wildly different personalities I think. Also, he is always working on his own cars and never has extra time.

12/15/20 2:48 p.m.
tuna55 said:

I think steel tubes and a welder are the right way to do this. Exclude any steel you cut or grind off. Don't paint it.

That is the ultimate plan but probably will not happen for this year. I don't know how to weld and certainly not know well enough to trust my life to my own work. Im looking for something to be safer for now until I get to that stage in a year or two or three...

WonkoTheSane (FS)
WonkoTheSane (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/20 3:58 p.m.

If you're willing/able to travel up to CT when the 'rona blows over, you're welcome to pop in and use my tubing bender and welder.  I'd be happy to lend a hand getting going of course.  I have a bunch of 1.75 x .090 you can use for cheap. 

12/16/20 4:22 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane (FS) :

Very generous offer, thank you. I will keep it in mind.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LHvJUGkjbt5z3KzFzGftJPpwFvT21oudQ0DU9hfRcVmsgkG2qHwJx9X1vrJVv3S8