Peanu_Keeyes
Peanu_Keeyes GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/3/23 5:32 p.m.

The situation is... I'm aging, and just finished another 4 corner brake job in a crouched position with jack stands. It's tough on my lanky 6'+ frame to spend all that time as a contortionist. Time for a lift! 

My garage port is tiny - 100" max ceiling height. The cars I plan to continue working on are my '96 Miata track car, and the Mrs' 2010 Yaris. 

currently looking at this: 

https://www.naautoequipment.com/Universalift-2-7-000-lb-capacity-2-Post-Portab-p/c7000.htm

Any suggestions? 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/3/23 8:13 p.m.

I have a lift similar to this in a garage with 10 foot ceilings and even those a a little low for really getting under the car at standing height. In a roller chair its about perfect. 

Unless you really need the two post capabilities I would say go quick jack or something similar which gets the car off the ground and you can work in a chair or standing depending on your preference. 

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
5/23/23 4:23 p.m.

I have a Bendpak mid rise lift (https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/mid-rise-scissor-lifts/mds-6lp/) that get the car about 45" off the floor. Its great for most work, and the lifting platforms also make a handy available working table. My garage has a 100" ceiling and my Corvette doesn't hit the roof. I've had a Durango on it but we could only lift that to the lowest level (approx 20". Brake jobs are a pleasure - just sit on the rolling tool box.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/23 8:33 p.m.

I have a MaxJack portable and it's about perfect. You can stand to do brakes. I sit on a creeper for underside work. When I'm done I unbolt it, roll it in the shop, and stick it out of the way in a corner.

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/29/23 5:32 p.m.

+1 for MaxJax

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
7/17/23 6:39 p.m.

Would y'all do a trans swap with this ?

birdmayne
7/17/23 6:57 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I would. But I also just did a trans swap on jackstands. Lots of benchpressing required

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
7/17/23 7:06 p.m.
birdmayne said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

I would. But I also just did a trans swap on jackstands. Lots of benchpressing required

And if I had to venture a guess you're far younger than me (1953) .  Looking for minimal physical exertion for these procedures....standing straight up or almost..

mikerunt
mikerunt GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/18/23 10:40 a.m.

Just bought a used set of quick jacks and they work well so far but man - seeing the MaxJax I think I would have gone that route!

birdmayne
7/18/23 10:49 a.m.

Working under the C10 on MaxJax is easy. We have a creeper seat that I can roll around on underneath with ease and comfort. The only downside is loss of lower body leverage when applicable. 

I absolutely love the system and intend to put one in my own shop at some point 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/19/23 11:47 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Would y'all do a trans swap with this ?

The problem with transmission swaps on lower-rise lifts is that as far as I can tell nobody makes a low-rise transmission jack.  All the ones I've seen have a minimum height which is too tall for this.

Peanu_Keeyes
Peanu_Keeyes GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/13/23 1:09 p.m.

So I forgot all about my own thread until last night when I was on my third attempt at replacing my front shocks and shock mounts this week in the cold and on my knees. 

Max Jacks sure looks like the clear winner for me. Thanks for all the info and suggestions!

Japanspec
Japanspec Reader
1/3/24 1:15 p.m.
Toyman! said:

I have a MaxJack portable and it's about perfect. You can stand to do brakes. I sit on a creeper for underside work. When I'm done I unbolt it, roll it in the shop, and stick it out of the way in a corner.

I dont mean to hijack, but I'm also interested in Maxjax. How much did you pay to get the concrete slabs under the lift posts to spec in order to bolt the lift down to the floor? I'm almost certain my garage floor isn't poured strong/thick enough.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
1/3/24 5:40 p.m.

I have a  completely no-name mid rise scissor lift which really works well on front drive cars, you can position them on the lift and get at every bit of the power train. They're also ideal if you are doing something that requires you to be in and out of the doors constantly, like electrical or interior work or if you're a detailer - perfect to get at the lower parts of the body and so on. They are not so good for front engine-rear drive cars if you need to do exhaust or transmichigan work.

For any of that the MaxJax is far superior.....but like any two post it sucks trying to get in and out while in the air - like bleeding brakes or something. But it gives incredible access to the bottom of the car......

I'm surprised and disappointed at how expensive all of these lifts have gotten in the last two years - seems like prices have gone up by a third or even doubled!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8PDIq5ZKGc8fM90DM5LJrCNgPm9bhCdtdrAtQzq7wKzh37GdFkxKbP72VXY2wfKh