Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/19 10:05 p.m.

So this house I'm looking at has a shed that's rotted sitting on a concrete pad next to a dirt pile and I have this crazy idea to pour more concrete, tear down the shed, and build a shop. The house is wired for 220V on a 50A breaker for a defunct hot tub, there's already 110V ran to the shed, and I should be able to connect them with a covered walkway. It's hard to explain, so I made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxO0GREBRKo

Thoughts? Do I have enough room? Am I crazy? How much is this going to cost? Metal building?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/14/19 10:21 p.m.

I wanted to make a larger garage than the single car detached unit I have at the moment. I thought I could pour more concrete.

A builder advised me that it would be simpler and likely cheaper to start with a new pad versus trying to cobble together something by pouring more concrete. There were technical reasons I didn't quite understand, but one of the reasons he gave was "standard plans and not wanting to build on an unknown quantity"

If that turns out to be false, we'll both be happy.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
3/14/19 10:31 p.m.

My shop: http://www.gwellwood.com/tools/the-workshop/

Do an all new pad.  And make it thick enough and re-bared enough for a lift.  You can thank me later.

Metal or stick construction will depend on what things cost in your area.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/15/19 8:18 p.m.

I could give a lot of technical reasons, but the bottom line is no, you don’t want to reuse the shed slab. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/15/19 8:54 p.m.

When I was looking at building a shop, the conversation between me and Mrs NOHOME was "Shop or Lotus Elise". 

Building the shop was one of the best moves I have made. Ten years in and never a regret.

Pete

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/19 9:04 p.m.
SVreX said:

I could give a lot of technical reasons, but the bottom line is no, you don’t want to reuse the shed slab. 

That's three GRMers in a row, which means I can now call it "absolute fact". Thanks, will do!

kernymi
kernymi New Reader
4/13/19 12:10 a.m.

Upon seeing the video, your idea is not crazy, it's even great! The space and features of the property could help you build a nice shop that could be profitable and productive in the future. Of couse you will have to spend money and take risk but with all the positivity and skills that you have, you'll make it work. Keep us posted, I would like to hear more about its progress.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/13/19 10:31 p.m.

Such an encouraging canoe. 

Adelphie2
Adelphie2 None
9/7/19 11:39 a.m.

I just see you video you attached. I have the same thinking as the OP said already. You are not crazy and making a good job I think. For building a shop it's enough space. But can't exactly give idea about the cost. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q7WRHwjXtOiZM0FH2Tc7zVfH7sk2PbFOwmSXwqBQL0BSMsRXL0esnqlKsAesxcuO