wgh1311
wgh1311 New Reader
5/28/23 11:47 p.m.

i recently picked up an 81 celica gt with the 22r carb motor

i am wanting to turbo it with a blow through set up. 

i am looking for advice and tips on how to do this as ive never turboed a carbureted car before.

do i need a different carb or can i use the stock one.

will a side draft carb and a down draft carb yield the same results

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/29/23 12:42 a.m.

The easy way is to build a box to put the carburetor in and pressurize the whole thing. Then the float chamber, venturi and everything see the same pressure. You'll need to make sure the carburetor has a foam float so it won't collapse and convert to an electric fuel pump with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

The slightly harder way is to use a bonnet and feed pressurized air to the carb throat. You'll need to make sure that the float chamber is only vented to the carburetor bonnet so that there is the same pressure on the fuel side as there is on the air side. You'll still need an electric pump and rising rate pressure regulator.

It's also a good idea to drill the throttle shaft bushings and add fittings to supply pressurized air to the throttle shafts in order to prevent fuel/air Mix being forced out.

wgh1311
wgh1311 New Reader
5/29/23 11:46 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

by build a box and pressurize the whole thing, what exactly do you mean? make a welded box around the carb and feed the turbo into the box?

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/29/23 2:45 p.m.

In reply to wgh1311 :

Yes.

Buy the old books by Hugh McInnes. He goes through this all in great detail.

mdshaw
mdshaw HalfDork
6/4/23 9:52 p.m.

There must be 22r fi parts & ms it. A turbo carb seems like a nightmare to try to tune no? I had a carb'd early CRX so got fi parts & ms'd it, just the fuel. Left the ignition mechanical. Ran fantastic.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
6/13/23 5:17 p.m.

Motorcycle people do it with CV style carbs.....

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
6/13/23 5:19 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iXlTYHQ95ChnErZGNvUMWKzzZJZd1u97coWLYgLgnpreIx7pRVIKmcmA6VlQsUnj