1 2
BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/12/22 12:31 a.m.

Perhaps this has been covered before, but I'm up late working in the garage and listening to my favorite.

What's your favorite album to listen to in the garage?

Mine is the album "Shapeshifting" by Young Galaxy. It just takes me to another world when I'm up late and by myself in the garage.

Give me some other favorites. I'd like to give them a try.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/22 12:38 a.m.

I'll often have TV shows that work well as radio plays playing. Archer is a favorite. You don't need to see it to enjoy most of it.

Music - I'm notorious for listening to ska in the shop, especially if it's from Quebec. Gotta have my happy horns.  But a more serious suggestion: Public Service Broadcasting tends to get a lot of airplay in the garage. So does Galactic and Jamiroquai. 

BA5
3/12/22 1:06 a.m.

Good call on the Jamiroquai. I'm a fan, but at a minimum its been years since they've made it into the garage rotation.

NPR is long, boring drive listening for me. I don't know if I could focus on listening to them AND working at the same time. TV would probably present a similar issue, although Archer is awesome! 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/12/22 1:11 a.m.

If I had to choose just one, soul music. Booker T. & the MGs at the top of the list.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/22 1:22 a.m.

In reply to BA5 :

I use shows like Archer as if they were radio plays. I don't listen to radio plays :) That was not clear. 

Although Archive.org does have a whole bunch of vintage serials available, so you could listen to Dragnet or Bonanza or something obscure. 

BA5
3/12/22 2:05 a.m.

Ooooo I like that idea (listening to old radio serials). 

I'm ~ 1/2 way through the timing belt on my pilot, so I have a good bit of listening to do coming up.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/12/22 7:34 a.m.

Classic Rock on the radio. Gives noise, but I don't have to fiddle with it.

Of course, the advertising is so obnoxious I find myself going for JackFM a lot these days. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/22 8:05 a.m.

Shuffle on the music app on my phone. It has a little bit of everything. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
3/12/22 8:20 a.m.

I usually like a good old stompin rhythm for shop time so it's usually Steeldrivers, The Elms, Joe Bonamassa, bluesy rock type stuff.

I have an album of Bach pipe organ pieces that gets used for special occasions. Usually when the torch and cut off wheel have to come out :P

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/12/22 8:38 a.m.

Usually Pandora with The Cleverlys, Earl or Weezer radio. Depends on the mood; if it's small jobs I'll break out CDs but the one disc player means 40 minutes or so at a time and I have to change it or listen again.

edit: oh yeah, steeldrivers are great for working. Plays often on The Cleverlys mix

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/12/22 10:39 a.m.

Slow Blues.

It helps calm me when I work.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
3/12/22 11:01 a.m.

Back when they were on the air, Click and Clack were listened to on Saturday mornings. There's probably old shows for streaming now. 

Second on Keith Tanner's ska. I love me some Less than Jake. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
3/12/22 2:15 p.m.

I like every kind of music in the shop. 90s country, 90s hip hop, 90s alt rock, 90s metal, it just depends what mood I'm in.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/22 5:44 p.m.

Stuff that can just fade into the background.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
3/12/22 6:07 p.m.

Older country music like Marty Robbins or Waylon Jennings. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/12/22 6:59 p.m.

Ska is a constant, but I have everything playing.. I stream pandora from an old Gen 1 ipad hooked up to the stereo.

The Skatalites are great productivity music.

Where you can stream Archer nowadays?  I used to watch it, but it looks like it's off Netflix now?

BA5
3/12/22 10:47 p.m.

I think it's still on Hulu.

BA5
3/12/22 10:49 p.m.

'ska' is not the common answer I expected....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/13/22 12:35 a.m.

In reply to BA5 :

Well, are we talking 1st wave, 2nd wave, or 3rd wave?

Cause I'm going with Bad Manners.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
3/13/22 9:20 a.m.

I have a siriusxm boombox above my workbench. The antenna runs up through the wall, into the attic, and out the ridge vent on the roof.

68TR250
68TR250 HalfDork
3/15/22 7:47 p.m.

Nothing!  Ever since I put in the Barrina (sp)  lights I get nothing on the radio.

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/17/22 1:35 p.m.

I usually hit shuffle on the "Supernatural" soundtrack. Mostly classic rock, which I grew up listening to while wrenching with my dad. 

Claff
Claff HalfDork
3/17/22 2:18 p.m.

The garage is where the last operational cassette player lives (old bookshelf stereo). That's where I listen to all the tapes I bought in my misspent youth (1984-1992ish). Here's a random sample

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/18/22 10:17 a.m.

I usually just listen to the radio when I'm in the garage.  Oddly enough, a lot of times, the channel I pick tends to correlate with whatever was popular when the car I was working on was new.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/18/22 12:16 p.m.

Why do so many listen to ska in the garage?

So when you drop the 10mm socket, 

Eeryone else says:

Pick it up!

Pick it up!

Pickituppickituppickitup!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gxyGkxReCgflP7qsU0dpI9Fb9aLRqlSxFMh6Suweu9KN8cTcC5Bh3mkDdBkrCbNu