1 2 3
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/11/11 1:22 p.m.
Keith wrote: mndsm, that's excellent news! I was about to answer your email... In order to get the rights to deface Elvis, the deal was 200 people at $50 Still, if we get 10 donations through the GRM forum we'll definitely acknowledge that. Heck, the Targa car already flies a GRM sticker. I am definitely up to seeing an all-original epic race car scheme though. I tried before going Martini. We're considering wrapping Elvis for the race, but wrap him with what?

Mr. Bubbles theme car?

I'm trying to scratch together $50. Might not be this week, but it will certainly be before the deadline.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
1/11/11 1:58 p.m.

Just saw this. I'm in at $50 no problem. I just realized that $50x100 = $5000. I have no doubt that you will get 50 people off this forum anyways to help.

I might have to come out this year and spectate Need a service crew?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/11 4:45 p.m.

My vote would be for the same (or similar) livery that the Magma Film-sponsored car ran in the 24 hours of Nurburgring.

Slightly NSFW picture of the Magna Film race car

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/11/11 6:24 p.m.

In for $50. Good luck.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/11 9:06 p.m.

Here's the Targa Fundraising Tachometer! It'll show our current fundraising success.

We've picked up a new sponsor that gave us a nice boost: mnmazda.com

Marty!
Marty! Dork
1/11/11 9:27 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: My vote would be for the same (or similar) livery that the Magma Film-sponsored car ran in the 24 hours of Nurburgring. Slightly NSFW picture of the Magna Film race car

That's hawt.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/11/11 9:30 p.m.

Glad we could help. My guys were pretty excited when they saw this deal come across. No idea how much of that bill i'll be footing myself, but in the end, it's totally worth it. Any time we can be involved with motorsport, it's a win for everyone. Let me know if I can do anything else for ya.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/11/11 9:58 p.m.

Just put in my bid for $50. Good luck!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/11 8:38 a.m.

Okay, so who wants to band together to choose the graphics on Elvis? List so far:

• Javelin
  • Marty!
  • Junkyard_Dog
  • dyintorace
  • mapper
  • davidjs
  • HiTempguy
  • Rusted_Busted_Spit
  • EvanB

We just need one more to earn a GRM Forum sticker! Anybody else?

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
1/12/11 8:42 a.m.

i will be, just waiting on payday

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/12/11 9:07 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Okay, so who wants to band together to choose the graphics on Elvis? List so far: * Javelin * Marty! * Junkyard_Dog * dyintorace * mapper * davidjs * HiTempguy * Rusted_Busted_Spit * EvanB We just need one more to earn a GRM Forum sticker! Anybody else?

If Keith is nice enough to let me put my website on his car AND count my donation to choosing the graphics, I'd be down. That'll give y'all a nice bump.

Keith
1/12/11 9:14 a.m.

Regardless of donations, I'd be interested in suggestions on the Elvis livery. The car is Laser Blue from the Elise right now, which shifts from a medium-dark to a light blue depending on the light. We can either lay something over that or do a full wrap depending on how good the design is. We've used a dark grey for numbers in the past and it looks great in person, but doesn't pop on camera. Silver washes out against the paint, but white should be very visible.

All of you who are part of the GRM forum and have stepped up, please email (keith@flyinmiata.com) or PM me with your real names so I can put a note in our records. We're keeping track of club/group affiliation, and standouts will be recognized!

Sadly, this is no longer on the car.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/12/11 9:24 a.m.

Fire chicken needs to go back on it.

Also, can I get the links to those pics? I wanna stick em on my site so folks know who/what we're sponsoring. I know Elvis well... but some of my other folks may not.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/11 11:38 a.m.
mndsm wrote: If Keith is nice enough to let me put my website on his car AND count my donation to choosing the graphics, I'd be down. That'll give y'all a nice bump.

That would be awesome!

BTW Keith, I am drawing up a few different designs, I'll get them up by the end of the week.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/11 11:42 a.m.

I'm still voting for Magma Films!!!

Keith
1/12/11 11:59 a.m.

mndsm, I'll put together a picture gallery of the car showing underhood. In the meantime, here's the link to the good top shot: http://www.flyinmiata.com/projects/LS1/images/dsc_0502.jpg

I'll stop in the mnmazda forum, say thanks in person and post up a bunch of pics for people to drool over.

The fire chicken offended our mechanic at the time very deeply, he tore it off as soon as I got a picture.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
1/12/11 5:01 p.m.

The fire chicken should make an appearance on the YOUR Targa Miata, since it will have that engine...

Keith
1/12/11 5:28 p.m.

Actually, if I end up with the L33, it will have started life in a truck. I need a big GMC logo instead.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/11 5:39 p.m.

how close are you to the goal?

edit: just noticed the tachometer updates with the current progress.

Keith
1/17/11 6:12 p.m.

That's right, the tach shows the current status. We're seeing a good response. You can see the list of everyone who's contributed on our site. Thanks to everyone who's chipped in, it's looking promising.

There's lots going on behind the scenes. The big news is that the L33 is a go! Yes, I'll be driving a Miata with a truck engine.

GPDren
GPDren Reader
1/21/11 8:34 p.m.

I'm in for $50. I've got to tell a few guys at work about this, one in particular is a huge Miata guy.

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
1/21/11 9:03 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: My vote would be for the same (or similar) livery that the Magma Film-sponsored car ran in the 24 hours of Nurburgring. Slightly NSFW picture of the Magna Film race car

Is it wrong that I said "Look at that splitter !" ?? (see picture...)

imirk
imirk New Reader
1/28/11 6:11 p.m.

Kieth, do you get your SSRs back? Slash what is the wheel and tire package for the Targa this year?

Keith
1/28/11 7:27 p.m.

I might be able to get the SSRs back - but I think they're the wrong wheel for this year. They're a 15x7.

I'm thinking the best wheel/tire combo would be a 225/45-15 Toyo R1-R or Hankok R-S3 wrapped around a 15x8. The track crowd tends to run that size on a 15x9, but that means a stiffer sidewall. I want a bit more compliance. I've got a full set of 15x7s already in the garage - I guess it depends on if we can get a wheel manufacturer on board.

Keith
2/14/11 6:14 p.m.

Update: We've hit our minimum requirement of $10,000! This is partly thanks to our sponsors such as MNMazda.com and MattersOfGrey.com as well as a few clubs that banded together - but most of it came from individuals. There are over 100 names on our Team Member list. I cannot tell you how happy that makes me. We've got the Miata community (and some of the GRM community) behind us.

We're not done, though. Our minimum was just that: a minimum. Any extra will allow us to do a better job on the race, from service crew to video quality to updates from the road.

The L33 engine is being built now, to full V8R Spec. Wiseco is providing rods and pistons for it. The lovely 2.0 is out and will run again later in a new home. That's a bit sad.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PxostrQOlwBZ4mBNPgKqCUvLkJHm4tKoYSGyvm18LAuI3rJCLToex3WMmwNDmq4o