Lobuk
Lobuk
12/1/22 11:09 p.m.

I'm new on here so I'm not really sure if I'm in the right spot or not but I got an 07 Silverado replacing the engine with the motor from a 2012 Silverado With VVT and I don't have the option of Taking the computer and wiring harness out of the donor truck my trucks been down for quite a while and I just want to get it back on the road with the bare minimum parts list I plan on deleting the AFM but I believe that VVT is the only thing holdin me up can I use the cam from my old motor in the new one also my old mower has 243 heads and my new motor has 799's do I want to go ahead and clean up to 243 or does It not really matter? And can I get away with using the AFM lifters and still delete it?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/2/22 9:45 a.m.

For future reference, I'd put things like this in the "Grassroots motorsports" section of the forum.  Generally this area is for the shop/garage talk itself (what lift do I get, how do you organize your workbench, etc.).

I'm not an expert on this stuff at all, but I believe there's a lot more changes you need to do to disable the VVT on those.  I thought you had to change the lifters and other stuff under the valve covers?   Hopefully this bump will help someone in the know see it!

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/22 11:36 a.m.

I believe you have to change the cam. Not sure about the lifters. I know this change gets talked about regularly on the Cadillac forum. I am sure there are some other GM truck forums but I am not familiar with them.

https://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/escalade-ext-and-esv-forum-2007-2014.215/

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/22 12:41 p.m.

799 and 243 are the same exact cylinder head down to the ports, chamber and valve geometry.  799 is just a secondary casting number that was used when GM increased production of that head geometry I have an L33 with one 243 and on 799 head running no issues.

Get those AFM lifters out of 2012 motor, those are the failure to really watch out for.  You should be able to delete the VVT and AFM with the front cover, cam, cam gear and valley cover from your 2007 motor.

Why are you replacing the 2007 motor in the first place?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/22 6:55 p.m.

To be honest, for the expense in swapping the cam and lifters, assuming they are not trashed, I'd try to find a different engine unless the new engine was $free.  

I would feel sketchy reusing the head gaskets, and a little ashamed to reuse the head bolts.  I have done both but only on low time engines, like time measured in minutes.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/5/22 7:03 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

799 and 243 are the same exact cylinder head down to the ports, chamber and valve geometry.  799 is just a secondary casting number that was used when GM increased production of that head geometry I have an L33 with one 243 and on 799 head running no issues.

Get those AFM lifters out of 2012 motor, those are the failure to really watch out for.  You should be able to delete the VVT and AFM with the front cover, cam, cam gear and valley cover from your 2007 motor.

Why are you replacing the 2007 motor in the first place?

I thought one had sodium filled valves and the other had solid steel valves?
Same other than that, but that's the one difference.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/6/22 12:44 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

nope only on the 243 heads LS6 that were in the C5. GM is very proud of those valves. Corvette LS2 and CTSV LS6 didn't even get those valves in the 243s

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OyJQHPXFFNAY6wHzNDKMvKTMdoC2x50nr260pmcg5Xy1LXtS3pxHWzAfuxPE6qYs