gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
12/10/22 9:35 a.m.

What do you do for hardware and small part organization?

I have a couple of these type that are overflowing.

I want to go quite a bit bigger but I dont know what direction I want to go with it. I could get a couple more of what I have and build a shelves or a cabinet to hold them. I'm also considering building a big all wood setup with dividers like the parts department I've seen in old dealerships. Or I could build shelves to fit my needs and buy or collect little containers to fit. I saw one where a guy cut the tops off oil quarts so they were about 4" tall and used those on a shelves. That would be cheap and effective.  How do you do it and what would you do differently?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/10/22 9:47 a.m.

https://www.uline.com/BL_8779/Bench-Panel-Racks

I have a similar system, just mounted to a wall plate. Different size containers available and you can lift them off and carry them to the project. I have smaller bins within each larger one for the small hardware like machine screws/nuts/washers.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
12/10/22 10:39 a.m.

I was just looking at this from HF I'm thinking maybe building a cabinet to house a couple of those with larger built in compartments in the bottom.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/10/22 10:48 a.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

The only downside is dust. If you do any sanding or grinding in the garage, they will collect dust.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/10/22 11:39 a.m.

Appleseed,

There are  flip up lids available if dust is an issue. For my stuff, the dust settles to the bottom and is my reminder to resupply my stock.

I have min eright next to my fixture table so there is always griding dust and other stuff flying around.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jwM7dgwxUdxME6jma9A6gfEtiS24H2t50EZ1p0h4aaHAkZGdvumrOA5rA2JE4zEo