iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/23 11:13 a.m.

So I've leased a shop space finally. The building is brand new and I've decided to epoxy the floors in an attempt to keep things looking decent. This weekend I want to etch the concrete to make sure the surface is setup. I've watched some youtubs and seen some articles but do any of you have first hand suggestions? Can I walk on the acid covered floor? Are my shoes going to disintegrate? Can I keep the door open and not need a respirator? Does the acid taste funny?

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven Reader
1/18/23 6:30 p.m.

Probably not too helpfull...been 20 years now

We hosed down the concrete, washed; then followed directions, rinsed.

Used rubber (rain) boots.  I don't recall any problems.

Wide, 18 inch rollers.

Proper temp inside.  Cold is bad.

Full cure before moving in.  We did it right before a 2 week vacation.

We used U-Coat-It...doing well after 20 years.

Preparation, clean, temp, cure time...no cheating!

I've done it in old running shoes.  Used a broom with plastic bristles to push it around.  Take all the standard precautions to keep it off you and your eyes.   Have a hose on the ready for safety, and then to rinse.

Study concentrations.  Too strong, left in one spot too long, can cause a crater.  Pay attention and keep it moving towards the door from the back.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/18/23 10:54 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

They make eco friendly concrete etching solutions now that are a lot less harsh for you too.  You also want polyurea and not epoxy.  Like all things tech has improved over the years.  

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/23 11:12 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to iansane :

They make eco friendly concrete etching solutions now that are a lot less harsh for you too.  You also want polyurea and not epoxy.  Like all things tech has improved over the years.  

I went ahead and grabbed a few gallons of the less harsh stuff from the big orange store and will be trying it this weekend. Hope it works, and hope it lasts awhile.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IfPw5rK2DhausCWbhdALKdUbFJmznHDcOX1QR1tyEKPSYYZ44AY7EkWKRlI2cAuQ