HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
8/1/22 8:57 a.m.

Ok, I'm trying to remove the rear hub assembly on my '93 Miata track car, and it looks like the bolt that goes through the lower part of the assembly may be galled to the assembly.  I can't turn the bolt without the entire assembly rotating with it.  I'm figuring someone on the hive has dealt with this before, and hopefully has a recommendation for removal.  I've tried heat & penetrating oil, but no success so far.  What advice can y'all give me?  Thanks!

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/22 6:11 a.m.

Clean with a wire wheel, heat and candle wax would be my suggestion. Good hunting!

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
8/25/22 9:50 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

I've tried some heat & different penetrating oils, but no success.  Ended up pushing the hub out and leaving the assembly on the car while I put in the new studs.  What's the trick with candle wax?  That's a new one to me.  Thanks!

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/20/22 3:51 p.m.

Late to the party here, but I've fought this and ended up pulling the entire arm off and putting it in a hydraulic press. Careful though, I did mess up one control arm that way. Not so bad that I wouldn't use it, but it's now an emergency spare more than a daily. 

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
9/21/22 10:03 a.m.

Just bought a press, may end up doing that over the winter, try to ease it out with more WD40 and just upping the pressure a little at a time since it's not a rush.  Thanks for the suggestion!

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
11/24/22 9:46 p.m.

You are in reference to the main bolt that holds the hub on the bearings. When I have replaced fans bolted to the engine I use a impact wrench. The quickness of the impact wrench force spins the bolt off without the fans clutch turning.  I have used that on one of my Miatas to replace the CV axel.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/22 10:21 p.m.

the candle wax works in to the part, like solder cavitates on to wires.  I have seen it work. PB Blast and heat may or may not be better

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w1tSd4JSFjv0Q989oVqDA98lloz0Jnp6BGxyu7vfoELBuD2u9lPIhFnvcu2FibON