No Time
No Time Dork
5/9/20 9:12 p.m.

Looking to get a polisher or buffer for home use. 

I'm looking for recommendations for one that will do a decent job for an amateur. Any recommendation for product to use with it are also appreciated.

I would have preferred to get one that uses the same batteries as my Rigid drill, impact, and heater but it doesn't look like they have an offering. 

We picked up an 2008 SX4 for my oldest son, and he is looking to detail it inside and out. He's also looking at refinishing the wheels with either pair or plastidip.

Here's a pic of the happy young man the day we brought it home:

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/20 9:28 p.m.

I've had a Porter-Cable 7424xp for years, and I love it. Any 6" foam polishing pads will work with it, and you can get them just about anywhere these days. For compounds, Meguiars 105 (heavy cut) and 205 (final polish) are generally considered a pretty good go-to for most jobs.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/9/20 9:55 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

Slow speed, big pad. Is the secret. Brand  is whatever you like  and is on sale. Look at Harbor Freight  if you have no real preference. Stay off the corners and edges. do those by hand. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/10/20 1:46 a.m.

I have the HF 6 inch 

works great 

my pads are from them too. But the Velcro backing of the plate keeps separating 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/10/20 5:07 a.m.

Plus one for the Porter Cable polisher, moderately priced. Bought the DA attachment also. Use it 2-3X per year. Shade tree approved, not commercial grade tho. Currently using Chemical Guys pads and chemicals w/ good results. CG can be kinda gimmicky w/ products so choose wisely. 

Lotta detailing videos and product reviews on YT.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/10/20 5:28 a.m.

I too have the Porter Cable. When I was buying a buffer I stalked the internet car detailing forums and did my research. The Porter Cable is pretty much the standard for quality at a reasonable price. 

I use Autogeek for all my supplies.  They're always running some sale or incentive to get your business. Their forum board is good too.

When I just now opened their website to get a link for you there was a pop-up 25 dollar coupon. They're always doing something like that. 

A good Porter Cable starter kit

They also have kits without the pads and accesories if you just want the machine itself.

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/20 7:19 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

+1 for Autogeek!

When I went through my detailer phase I bought tons of stuff from them. Always first class service.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/10/20 7:44 a.m.

Another vote for the Porter Cable. I bought it to buff and polish my old fiberglass boat. I bought stacks of velcro backed wet sanding disks and foam buffing pads off Amazon. Worked my way up from 600 through 1200 grit wet sanding then 3 buffing levels with Meguires Heavy Cut through Polish. Works great.

I need to use it on the hood of my Mustang but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

No Time
No Time Dork
5/10/20 8:06 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback.

It seems like the majority recommend the Porter cable, so I will be watching for deals in a few weeks. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/20 8:10 p.m.

Yet another vote for the Porter Cable.

speedmust
speedmust
5/20/20 2:04 a.m.

I have the black and decker rndom orbit. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/17/21 3:40 a.m.

Glad the OP asked... I was just looking at them, 'cause I cant find my cheapo. For just buffing out some scratches on my work truck, is the random orbital a plus? They are more than a cheap one, but when ya get into decent quality, they are priced about the same.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/17/21 3:42 a.m.

Ah, caught by the necro thread bandits, again. But straight question all the same...

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/17/21 7:22 a.m.

Porter Cable here as well using Chemical guys polishing pads.  Velcro seems to hold well on them and they was out clean

amerson
amerson New Reader
5/18/21 2:31 a.m.

I started with Griot’s Garage 6 Inch Dual Action Polisher and glad I did. It is very easy to use.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/17/21 3:21 p.m.

Now that I have the cheap HF DA polisher I spend a lot less time on cleaning up cars even though they are polished and waxed more often, and the fleet looks a helluva lot better.  Have no idea if a better tool works proportionately better, but I'm really happy to have the tool and regret not buying one twenty years ago.  The tool cost less than the pads and chemicals.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/17/21 3:47 p.m.

I have two brand new inexpensive ones in boxes.

If you're interested, give me your zip and I'll see how much it is to send one your way

I should be out in the shop later and can take a pic

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ufBNqxWSQQ3FcHu6glrBIZgw5B5JT0Wp7pWfijh53QoN7cYkPBtmztxdvDb09Uhu