ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma New Reader
3/7/22 9:12 a.m.

Yeahhhh, leaving the car as is isn't lasting long and I'm already getting a little itch to tune it (despite requiring 93 and gas creeping past 4 a Gallon for it). Currently it has a Stillen Popcharger, a rear muffler delete, and a NICO Stage 3 ECU in the horsepower department. Can any of the Q45 experts here chime in on what else is possible N/A wise? I'm looking to see if E85 is possible and if any other performance parts are available to buy/swap from other cars as a bolt on. I'm sure someone here is an old school Q45 enthusiast with a closet full of parts collecting dust and the knowledge on how to tune it more. I'm not afraid of nitrous or other forced induction, but I would like to start with a small bump vs going all out in the beginning. 

Thanks in advance y'all, I'll be busy with work today so apologies if my replies are delayed.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/22 10:02 p.m.

Year would make a difference as the engines changed over the three generations.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
4/1/22 8:28 a.m.

How about a Continental Ethanol Sensor and get that beast on E85.  Big savings at the pump and big increases in power available that should really compliment the modifications you already have done.  You will likely need to upgrade fuel pump and injectors but otherwise pretty cheap modification as the sensor is ~$150 depending on wiring/plumbing style.

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma New Reader
6/18/22 7:46 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Holy crap, I did not see this until I decided to log back in today. I need to set this as a new tab on my desktop.

It's Pat's old car. 1990 Q45

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma New Reader
6/18/22 7:48 a.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

I talked to some of the original tuners of Q45 and they informed me E85 is not healthy for the fuel lines. And actually since this last post, I ended up swapping the pump to a Aeromotive Stealth 340lph pump. Just need to get an AFPR and a set of Subaru Yellowtops

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
6/18/22 8:43 a.m.

I don't think there are any substantial gains from using E85 in a NA application.

The real gains from E85 come from the increased detonation resistance and charge cooling, which give the nod to boosted applications.

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma New Reader
6/19/22 8:25 a.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

You're probably right. They do make a supercharger application for the car but that's off the books for a while.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
6/19/22 9:12 a.m.
bentwrench said:

I don't think there are any substantial gains from using E85 in a NA application.

The real gains from E85 come from the increased detonation resistance and charge cooling, which give the nod to boosted applications.

The NA gain is timing advance.  A degree of advance in an LS is 6-10hp.  I got an extra 7 degrees with e85 safely and ~1.25/gal less at at the pump.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/19/22 12:49 p.m.

In the original post, it's said to have a "Stillen Procharger" and that there's "no fear of other forced induction" but everyone including the OP is talking about N/A performance enhancements.  No compute.

Feels like a canoe coming to shore?

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma New Reader
6/20/22 9:34 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

In the original post, it's said to have a "Stillen Procharger" and that there's "no fear of other forced induction" but everyone including the OP is talking about N/A performance enhancements.  No compute.

Feels like a canoe coming to shore?

Nah I see the confusion

A Stillen Popcharger is an adapter Stillen made in the 90's to adapt the end of the intake to accept a traditional cone filter. It's definitely not a supercharger.

And while I want to do FI, I did mention in post I would like to start off with a small bump (N/A mods) vs going all out right at the gate. Hence why everyone has been recommending N/A mods. Plus back then gas was cheaper. At nearly 6 a Gallon where I live, the fun forced induction noises are going on a shelf

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DBLUkDRNqbEne3wvng8BNBB9KCpaJAFphqgq208Ht8LbRQjS0vLU18oTKFtdCYNg