David_H
David_H New Reader
7/11/22 12:49 p.m.

Can anyone recommend a quality crimping tool for non insulated open barrel terminals from 20 to 16 awg? I purchased one from AMZN, preciva 48b that had several good reviews; it made fantastic B type crimps but after ~100 crimps it is not working correctly. I would prefer the ratcheting type that crimps the conductor and insulation in one shot, and have replaceable dies. I won't use the tool too often (hobbyist) but want a tool that will make quality crimps every time; willing to spend some coin for a good tool, but affordable would be nice. 

I don't trust reviews on AMZN anymore so looking for recommendations from anyone who uses this type of tooling regularly. 

Thanks!

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/11/22 1:15 p.m.

I made my own. Long ass one inch square tube handles and a piece of quarter inch plate with the common crimp sizes drilled half round on one side , and a corresponding bump ground into the other side. Cost an hour, zero outlay and works great.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/11/22 1:29 p.m.

I lucked out and got some Xcelite crimpers used decades ago. They've been workhorses and I've never had a single problem with them. I don't know if they even make them new any more, but a used set is not to be feared and I would recommend them. My non-insulated crimper is an MIC 2210 and it crimps 22awg through 10awg. (It has two sets of jaws on the die.) I don't see any on eBay for a good price right now, but recently sold shows one selling for ~$30 with shipping and another at ~$60 with shipping. I'd pay either price for one in good shape, they're serious tools. (Mine were bought surplus from the air force, and they do not mess around with tools.)

I'm sure there are a half dozen other brands that will work well, but if mine broke tomorrow I'd replace them with the same.

David_H
David_H New Reader
7/11/22 11:27 p.m.

Thanks for the recommendation, looks like it is still made but now it's the pressmaster KRB0560, at $175 it's almost a bargain.  I'll keep looking for a used xcelite ecp112, but doesn't look promising.

David_H
David_H New Reader
7/11/22 11:29 p.m.
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) said:

I made my own. Long ass one inch square tube handles and a piece of quarter inch plate with the common crimp sizes drilled half round on one side , and a corresponding bump ground into the other side. Cost an hour, zero outlay and works great.

Would be interested to see some crimps from your homemade tooling 

TheWraith
TheWraith Reader
7/17/22 10:12 a.m.
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/17/22 12:21 p.m.

In reply to TheWraith :

Astro makes good stuff

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vcyMwoaFPTU6DsDEN7Z2DZKFGnG1CdnrmgU1J1SVM0tbCxln9HxGCh4Ow3gNhsMt