tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/27/20 10:14 a.m.

I have a utility sink in my laundry room, which borders the garage. The laundry room doubles as a pantry. Tunawife has asked if I can move the utility sink to the garage, which is actually a big win anyway. The deal is that the garage is about 18" lower than the house, and I want the elevation to stay the same to keep the piping the same. 

At first I thought to plop the sink down on something like a drawer that's 18" high, and strong enough to hold a sink full of water. It turns out that I can't find anything affordable. Like $20 affordable. Then I thought I could just build a cabinet around the utility sink. That looks expensive and a giant pain also.

I've checked CL nearby and nothing is working for me.

Any ideas?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/20 10:22 a.m.

Mine is mounted in some sort of box/cabinet that came out of a closet organizer with custom-length legs made from 4x4s. The box could be replaced with a flat sheet of plywood, maybe doubled up if you want extra strength. That should come in well under budget. Mine isn't a plastic tub, though, it's a legit drop-in sink. 

If you've got one of the plastic tubs with four wobbly legs, it would seem that an 18" high platform would not be difficult to build.

A good place to find cabinets etc is the ReStore at your local Habitat. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/27/20 10:43 a.m.

The utility sink originally in my garage was mounted on a plywood cabinet. 18" high (I just measured it). Door on the front for underneath storage. Open back for plumbing. 1" quarter round to keep the sink in place. I could probably build a duplicate from scrap wood I have around.

Definitely more stable than the smaller utility sink on flimsy plastic legs I put in the garage to replace it, but I wanted the sink in the garage to use less floor space.  This sink is in my basement waiting for me to plumb it to the up-flush toilet I still need to install... 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/27/20 10:57 a.m.

I screwed 2x4s in an alcove and set the sink in. The lip of the sink just rests on top of the boards.

We stood on the countertop and had a decent amount of stuff/water in the sink and never had issues.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eizZ7qehL3ZSweUIQ1X6And5IZvmgfINPTaYaApGYq4vX2IPfd4mkTkctuuUhMOB