Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
6/18/20 3:57 p.m.

This likely is equivalent to a typewriter build for some of you guys but it was time to upgrade from my 8 year old build running bootleg Windows 7.  I only intended to upgrade to Windows 10 so I would stop getting the "your software is not genuine" message but it kind of snowballed.  I figured I might as well upgrade my SSD since I was doing a clean install anyway, then a new graphics card, new CPU, new motherboard, ram, etc...

I finally got the motherboard last night and was able to install Windows and boot it up today before I came to work.  I think it should be able to run iRacing.  I mainly use it for Fusion360, Photoshop, and Cura.

Specs:

i5-9600k 3.7ghz

32gb DDR4-2666

AMD Radeon RX580

WD 250gb SSD for windows/programs only

Asus Z390-Plus motherboard

Corsair TX650 power supply

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/20 4:13 p.m.

Nice.  Looks really good!

Here's mine, in situ, a Cooler Master case (huge quiet fans, lots of room for....activities), I5-2400, ASUS P8H67-M Pro, 16GB Ram, Radeon HD 5850, 250gb SSD, 6gb of data storage.

I have another full ATX board to build up for this case that will allow me to more easily add a second card for Crossfire use and I can move this board to my Shuttle case for a garage box/server.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
6/18/20 4:39 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

That sounds similiar to what I had. i5-3570, 16gb DDR3, Radeon HD 6850, 80gb OCZ SSD, in a NZXT Phantom case.  It was just too big and loud for what I need.  I felt like it never performed as well as it should on paper.  Hopefully this one will last me another 8 years and I'll be set.

I think I'm going to throw all my old stuff in a smaller case and give it to my daughter.  I just need to buy a new power supply, that's the only thing I moved over from the old build.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/20 5:01 p.m.

Nice CPU fan!

(I spend way too much money on Noctua fans for all the machines I occasionally build)

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/20 5:15 p.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

Yeah, I purposely switched to this larger case from the smaller Asus/AMD box because it was so much more quiet than nearly anything I had used in the past.

Seriously this case has 4 fans all of them about 8" in diameter.  So they run slowly and the temps stay around 70-75 degrees.

Those older AMD's just run warm and the smaller fans used in most cases just don't move enough air.  Especially when you add a proper video card, drives, etc.

I did have a nice watercooler setup for an old P4 setup I had.  That was nice for a HTPC system I had in the living room briefly.

Anyway, the new board will be an i7 system with 32gb and dual AMD cards and this one will get cycled out.

It is much too easy to overbuild a system these days thanks to the available products, tools and vendors.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
6/18/20 10:03 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

My new case is borderline too small.  It was a tight squeeze getting the side panel on with all the cables.  It runs pretty quiet though which is nice.  I got sick of replacing fans on the old case.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Ur0p2fPJgMPuvCPz7O7Y4AZ9sD3Io0qfZ7QcGrkq47RmQW0qszYCPoByKXJohwQ