1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/20 7:01 p.m.

Running Cyberpunk 2077 on a supremely underpowered rig.  Still pretty damn fun.  I like how vertical the world is.  You can almost parkour across it and not touch the ground

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/13/20 8:38 p.m.

I picked it up today. On my Xbox One X, it has had some petty severe slowdowns while driving and fighting with multiple attackers. And a single hard crash so far. 

I'm impressed with the customization options, and I love the idea, but it's been slow going so far it seems. I keep dying.

Mr_Asa
12/13/20 8:56 p.m.

Until you get a few levels under you, you are weak as a kitten in a fight.  I've had good luck using the environment to shield me.

I let Jackie (I started as a Nomad) be a tank for me in fights while I hide and choose my shots.  Better guns and better skills start to get me out from cover.

Good mix of allowing you to avoid fights through stealth takedowns and forcing you to head on fight.

Edit: since I got to Night City I haven't driven anywhere.  Been enjoying being a pedestrian too much.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/13/20 9:27 p.m.

I havent played it yet, I'm not sure what it IS honestly.  I mean I've heard of it for sure, but is it FPS, RPG, ???

I've heard it has a hilarious amount of bugs, so on that note I probably wont consider it until its been out for a year.

Its been predicted to have punishing system requirements for forever now, so its no suprise that it runs like absolute berkeleying garbage on the PS4/Xbox One.  I'm surprised they are even selling it for those systems.

And on that note, I'll probably also wait until I have a stronger pc (currently rocking a 3600x & 1070)

Mr_Asa
12/14/20 2:13 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

There seems to be a very wide range of settings for the game.  At its optimum it seems to be like Crysis was.  A bear and a half to get setup properly.  However at the middle where I am (low being previous gen consoles) it is still a gorgeous game.  

The most common bug I have seen is navmeshing issues for the NPC pedestrian and vehicles.  Nothing gamebreaking.  Only have 12 hrs in it though.

For reference, my machine is what I got to get me through the secondish half of my engineering degree. 

https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GE72-Apache-Pro-GTX-970M/Specification

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/14/20 8:03 a.m.

It's on my shopping list, along with a better video card. Recommendations?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/14/20 8:13 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

There seems to be a very wide range of settings for the game.  At its optimum it seems to be like Crysis was.  A bear and a half to get setup properly.  However at the middle where I am (low being previous gen consoles) it is still a gorgeous game.  

The most common bug I have seen is navmeshing issues for the NPC pedestrian and vehicles.  Nothing gamebreaking.  Only have 12 hrs in it though.

For reference, my machine is what I got to get me through the secondish half of my engineering degree. 

https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GE72-Apache-Pro-GTX-970M/Specification

yikes, you must have a high tolerance for terrible frame rates.  According to this a 970 averages under 30fps.  Yikes.  This is the lowest benchmark I see on Tom's hardware.  Looks to me like the bare minimum is a 2060 or 1080ti.  I'd probably need a bit more because I have a 21:9 so there are more pixels to drive.

I am curious what it is like on the lowest settings though.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/4ik2ALqmP8aNnegRMTtWn.png

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/14/20 11:16 a.m.

I've got 18 hours into it so far.

love the game, wasn't so sure at first and now that i'm rolling a bit.. i'm enjoying it.

It's difficult.. i'm playing on normal and you have to be strategic with it to not get destroyed by your enemies.. I started on hard and immediately turned down the difficulty because i was so terrible.

I'm running the RTX medium graphics on my 2080 Super and I have a 12 core Ryzen3900 CPU. so i'm among the lucky ones apparently because i have current/barely last gen Hardware.

Mr_Asa
12/14/20 11:32 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Meh.  Never had a good system.  Its what I've always been used to.

F:NV runs pretty good on it at least.

Mr_Asa
12/14/20 12:21 p.m.

I played a bit with the FPS counter on.  I'm actually between 30-40FPS in the daytime.  Night drops it about 10 FPS.  Combat seems steady.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/14/20 1:06 p.m.

Sounds like the experience on the current gen consoles is a bit less than ideal:

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/37076/important-update

12/14/20 1:45 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Calling PS4 and Xbox One current Gen consoles is a bit of a stretch..

PS4 is over 4 years old.. and Xbox One is over 7.

Should CDPR have handled the launch better on those platforms..... yes..

but even PC hardware that is that old is struggling to a degree

Mr_Asa
12/14/20 1:47 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Remember Goldeneye? On the N64?  Similar footage from what I've seen.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/14/20 3:30 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to aircooled :

Calling PS4 and Xbox One current Gen consoles is a bit of a stretch..

Maybe, but the PS5 was JUST released.  Also, apparently it doesn't matter, although it looks better on a PS5, the horrible AI is still there (I believe this is also the case with the PC).  This almost certainly a release they fully knew was bad, and hoped to patch their way to a decent release before anyone noticed.   Summary, be very cautious if you are interested in this for a console (likely best to wait until it's fully patched, and well discounted)

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/14/20 3:47 p.m.

Once the "next gen" patches come through, I fully suspect it to become a different game.

Over 8 years in development, my guess is the initial delay this April was when they got the dev kits and started pushing resources that way.

I can't even entirely blame CDPR with the new console makers insistance on keeping the old ones relevant. We're going to be seeing a lot more of this trying for the whole "family excellence" before we start seeing true exclusives that really make use of the new hardware. 

12/14/20 4:27 p.m.

Here's what the game looks like on my PC for example.

I knew CDPR did a tie in with Porsche and I've been wondering when i was going to see the 911 in the game and it showed up last night for the first time.

So I snagged a screenshot of it using the in Game photo mode, but this is exactly what it looked like in real time before I hit the capture button.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/14/20 4:32 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to aircooled :

Remember Goldeneye? On the N64?  Similar footage from what I've seen.

Mr_Asa
12/14/20 5:34 p.m.
RevRico said:

Once the "next gen" patches come through, I fully suspect it to become a different game.

I really hope they rework the cops.  I understand that in Night City the NCPD are just another gang, but I stumbled across one of the organic NCPD side missions, bunch Maelstromers had cornered a cop car and were gonna kill the cops. I engage, they kill the cops, in the ensuing firefight I shove a shotgun in the face of one of the Maelstromer's and one or two pellets accidentally hit the cop car.

Then I have a warrant out for my arrest.  And that's how it is supposed to work, apparently.

Really hope they fix that.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/14/20 5:44 p.m.

I've got a couple hours into it. It's been fine on my series x. It's really sort of confusing and overwhelming. I get about an hour and I'm done. 

The customization though....I did not realize it would be THAT detailed. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/15/20 8:43 p.m.

I'm playing it on Stadia, and it performs great.  I've had a odd graphical glitch here or there, but nothing like what the internet is reporting. I suspect the worse the hardware the more likely you'll encounter some crazy behavior as the game engine fights for resources.

I'm about 5-6 hours in, getting into Act 2. The main story is engaging to me, yes a bit more linear than some would like, but I'm not going to play through the game a thousand times so I'm not sure it matters much.  My only complaint is that the story pushes you along so much that I haven't felt right doing a side quest yet.  I've heard some great things, but just haven't felt like I could take a break yet.

My V isn't particularly good with guns, and I'm a long way out on my FPS gaming days, so I'm playing a bit more to the stealth / tech side of things.  I also let Jackie tank for me early on.  And I ran away from a fight after barely doing any damage and then doing the math on my remaining ammo.

I didn't buy I to the hype train, and didn't have unrealistic expectations... So I can enjoy it for what it is now. I suspect CDPR will make a ton of changes and improvements like W3.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
12/15/20 9:56 p.m.

Bought a new graphics card to get my computer able to handle it without exploding.  

Turns out I'm E36 M3ty enough at the game that I'm getting murdered on 50% of missions.  

On easy mode.

12/16/20 9:24 a.m.

In reply to SnowMongoose :

using stealth, taking your time and using hacking are the keys for me making it though missions.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
12/30/20 11:30 a.m.

I have about 50 hours in on xbox one, running on hotfix 2 and aside from a few interface glitches (menus not staying open after being in a vehicle, fixed in a hotfix I have yet to install) I have had 2 hard crashes, and a handful of freezing moments that led to poor graphics briefly and I have been able to replicate the cause (driving to fast/running too long and the graphics get muddy, then freezes trying to catch up, I feel this is more the hardware itself vs the game, may be an optimization issue which I believe they also addressed in a hotfix) so I know how best to avoid them. I have made changes to the 'visual' settings since the xbox has a few options you can on/off just because I wasn't a fan of making it look like an old film, and something about the dynamic lighting.

Combat has been fine, the occasional 'locked in on scope' which happens so infrequently it may be my controller, the odd glitch has happened here and there but aside from a break in immersion (one guy floating, shot him and he fell and became 7 guys) they haven't been horribly game breaking. There are some weird A.I. hangups that causes enemies to stop fighting, hide and basically just taunt you, and the NCPD seems gun happy and spawn out of thin air to shoot you if a pedestrian happens to fall over in the road (was clear of them as I past by but he fell over from fear or something) 

It's far from the 'unplayable mess' a lot of media outlets are trying to make it out to be. It has issues yes but it's enjoyable and playable. But I've been looking forward to the game for quite awhile thanks to playing and replaying games like Deus Ex, Shadowrun and the fan made PC Shadowrun games. 

Of course, ymmv, and I'll report back when I get the latest hotfixes/patches installed if anything has changed

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/30/20 12:36 p.m.

I've become engrossed. I'm playing on an old xbox one s and it seems pretty good. Obviously nowhere near some of the PC screen shots I've been seeing but it's still an amazing world. I think I'm about ~30 hours in and only on like the 3rd or 4th main story mission. I've just been roaming around building up quickhack skills and other mods. I've only died a handful of times but that's mainly because I've been able to stealth my way through 80-90% of missions/quests and not engage directly until there are very few enemies left.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
12/30/20 9:16 p.m.

Im probably 40-50 hours in, finished the storyline once and I wasn't on a linear path to do so, I like mucking about with the side missions.  Purely by accident it seems I chose the path to the "best ending" (that being, most satisfying) and I was still underwhelmed.  Not sure why there is a penchant toward "not so happy" endings in video games these days.   But gameplay in general is a bunch of fun and it has the opportunity for just a lot of random play.  I like a good storyline game but I hate it when I finish a storyline and there's not much else going on while Im still feeling involved and wanting more so the ability to keep playing and even reset to right before the final mission to explore other paths and outcomes is nice.

Driving is nigh on impossible if you are a keyboard and mouse player as I am, but this is why I keep a controller plugged in to my PC, I grab it when I need to drive.  But as someone else noted as long as you are in the city, walk, you see and do so much more.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jn1JycHiP64ZHHWncBzPJ0kAFXJAQfkKPV8WndZC1S4OLo1MIgB2SFMyFW7EqYGp