1 2 3 4 5 ... 46
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/12/11 5:24 p.m.

So far I have the Ford Ka (it was kind of hard not to choose the Aygo and paint it up Top Gear Soccer style) and a Mazda2 (gotta make a B-Spec car!) along with all the freebie junk. Playing with no help but the auto trans (since I only have a controller and gearshifting on that was a PITA). The most impressive thing so far is the NOISE! The tires, the "judder" of a FWD launch, the engines, it's all superb!

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
10/12/11 5:25 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: I've got an old-school Xbox that won't accept the kinnect sensor, so I can't really say.

Kinnect will work on ANY Xbox 360. You do not have to have the slim model for it to work.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/12/11 5:39 p.m.

Are you able to re-map the controls any way you want?

And this one will sound stupid, but...

Is there a PS2/3 style controller for xbox? I simply can't get comfy with the xbox controller, but i've decided i really want this game.

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
10/12/11 6:09 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: When my copy of the game arrives I will take you up on that offer sir. Is it silent aside from tires howling?

It is silent aside from the tires, and boy do they howl when you take off in it!

Javelin
10/12/11 6:24 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Are you able to re-map the controls any way you want? And this one will sound stupid, but... Is there a PS2/3 style controller for xbox? I simply can't get comfy with the xbox controller, but i've decided i really want this game.

Yes to #1, and I have no idea to #2. The first time I picked up an XBOX controller after 10+ years of PS controller I thought I'd never get it, and ~3 months later the PS feels odd and the XBOX is super easy.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/12/11 6:38 p.m.

So i can use X as gas, "Square" as brake, triggers to shift up and down, and left stick to steer? Hrm.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
10/12/11 6:51 p.m.

There are somewhere around 14 different controller configurations, but you can't pick and choose which ones you want to do what, just the pre-sets from Forza.

imirk
imirk Reader
10/12/11 6:56 p.m.

Obligatory Scream:

"Why don't they build this for PC?!?!?!?"

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
10/12/11 7:57 p.m.

I think I'll refrain from playing tonight. I need some sleep. Friday is a day off, so I can sleep in, meaning I should be on tomorrow night. Has anyone else grabbed a Suzuki Liana and seen what their best standing start lap of the Top Gear test track is yet? I tried it 3 or 4 time my best so far is a 1:46.4. I do notice there is an acheivment for doing so in the Kia cee'd.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime New Reader
10/12/11 11:36 p.m.

Is anyone else having trouble adjusting? In Forza 3 i did so well i put up Split Screen Competitive Game Plays on YouTube and everything. In Forza 4 i'm off the track and using the rewind and everything. Maybe it's the new tire grip engine deal, but man it's taking me a while to get the hang of it.

Also, the classes seem different. In FM3 i'd upgrade a car, tune it, and test them all on the same track Motegi. That way i could record what the class average lap time was. C-Class was 1:39. In FM4 my C-class times are 1:44, 1:45. 1:46 and that's after really attacking the corners and trying my best.

Also kind of seemed like adding wheels, tires, and bringing tires up to race compound made the car automatically leap up 80% toward the next class. FM3 i would do wheels, tires, compound, sways, brakes, Diff, Roll Cage, struts, and my score wouldn't have really moved all that much. In fact, sometimes it went down from the added weight of the roll cage.

Anyone else notice these things?

Not that i'm really complaining, they're just things which seem quite different from FM3.

Also, don't AutoX in a T-bird. It'll make ya mad.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
10/12/11 11:57 p.m.

They did a major rehash of the PI calculator. Most importantly as it pertains to AWD cars.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime New Reader
10/13/11 12:02 a.m.

In reply to racerfink:

Not sure what that means. Does it explain my troubles?

racerfink
racerfink Dork
10/13/11 12:24 a.m.

The tires are much different this time around, and the computer that they used to run simulations with each car with different parts had a problem with AWD cars coming out of corners.

If you built a car inFM3, and built one exactly like it inFM4, the tire modeling alone is different enough that you'll be a little bit slower now.

AWD cars in particular in the computer simulations, would hesitate coming out of corners, leading to a longer lap time. So they lowered the PI on those cars to help keep them competitive. Only problem was, people using the game didn't hesitate, and the AWD cars had quite an advantage.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
10/13/11 12:26 a.m.

Also, if you're attacking the corners, you're losing time in 4.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
10/13/11 6:04 a.m.

I definitely need to relearn my driving a bit. I can't just chuck the car into corners like I used to and have it stick. I do believe my lap times are gonna be a bit lower for a while.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
10/13/11 6:19 a.m.

There is definately a bit of a learning curve with the new physics, but they just feel soo good at the limit of traction. you can definately feel the squirm of the tires if they have a tall sidewall, and feel a slight slip angle when flying through a corner after a transiton, and the weight transfer of the car. It punishes you for driving sloppy, and it feels so good when you hit that perfect corner. Its great. From what I've read on FM.net, if you turn off simulation steering, the game feels more like FM3.

I need to build a few of my favorite FM3 race and drift tunes, and start there as a baseline for my tuning in FM4.

I am liking the brand Affinity, the choices of prize cars, And how quickly you can earn credits. Of course I blew my whole pile on a souped up 635csi, only to realize if I earned my BMW Affinity, the upgrades would be free so I resold all the upgrades to recoup some funds and have the car ready to race in stock form. You definately dont need many upgrades (or any) to race in career, and if you just wait until you max out a brand Affinity before upgrading cars, you could play the whole career with free upgrades to your cars.

Javelin
10/13/11 9:45 a.m.

In my first 2 races (with no aids but auto trans and ABS) I scored a Clean Pass and a Perfect Corner Achievement. Too bad I came in 2nd on the 2nd race, doh!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/13/11 10:51 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: So i can use X as gas, "Square" as brake, triggers to shift up and down, and left stick to steer? Hrm.

Why would you want to give up analog gas and brake?

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/13/11 10:53 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: So i can use X as gas, "Square" as brake, triggers to shift up and down, and left stick to steer? Hrm.
Why would you want to give up analog gas and brake?

Been racing this way for the better part of a decade. Old dog, new tricks, i just want to play a game. If i cared for the most realism possible.... i wouldn't use a controller.

I'd actually go outside and sit in a real car and drive.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
10/13/11 11:01 a.m.

IIn reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

Grab the regular controller and give it a day. You'll just have to put up with being in the back of the pack with me for a bit.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
10/13/11 11:01 a.m.
racerfink wrote: Also, if you're attacking the corners, you're losing time in 4.

FWD or RWD? I feel like I need to be MORE aggressive in the FWD cars than in FM3, but RWD needs a much more gentle hand.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
10/13/11 11:05 a.m.
Javelin wrote: So far I have the Ford Ka (it was kind of hard not to choose the Aygo and paint it up Top Gear Soccer style) and a Mazda2 (gotta make a B-Spec car!) along with all the freebie junk.

If you're in the car club, I've got preliminary builds of (most of) the B-spec field in the club garage. So far, the Fiesta is the overdog by virtue of more power, but with some time and tuning we should be able to get them on a pretty even field.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
10/13/11 11:27 a.m.

I started working on a Spoon Honda Integra race car... but I tire easily of painting. It's shared. It was going to be an Acura Integra before I realized I'm smarter than the game, which apparently does not think Acura and Honda are the same thing.

Since I only have Affinity Level 5 for Honda, and not Acura, I switched to the Honda Integra for the free parts.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
10/13/11 11:29 a.m.

Also, I found this list of all the cars currently approved and under consideration for SCCA Showroom Stock C (B-Spec):

Approved:

2010-Present Ford Fiesta 4-door 2009-Present Honda Fit 5-door 2011-Present Mazda MAZDA2 5-door 2010-Present Nissan Versa 4-door 2010-Present Nissan Versa 5-door 2010-Present Toyota Yaris 3-door

Under consideration:

2011-Present Hyundai Accent 5-door 2011-Present Kia Rio 4-door 2012-Present Chevrolet Sonic 5-door 2011-Present Fiat 500 3-door 2012-Present Volkswagen Polo 3-door

Javelin
10/13/11 11:33 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote:
Javelin wrote: So far I have the Ford Ka (it was kind of hard not to choose the Aygo and paint it up Top Gear Soccer style) and a Mazda2 (gotta make a B-Spec car!) along with all the freebie junk.
If you're in the car club, I've got preliminary builds of (most of) the B-spec field in the club garage. So far, the Fiesta is the overdog by virtue of more power, but with some time and tuning we should be able to get them on a pretty even field.

The XBOX I'm borrowing isn't set up for wi-fi and we don't have a way to run a cable all the way through the house. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy my own XBOX soon so I can get on Live to get all my LCE cars and join the GRM club.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 46

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZrytFDlppHOlCR5DG1LkOAnRHtET7j2PR28baG80pccnvmMeRpY74CMELM7iEf2w