Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
2/22/21 4:21 p.m.

Is anyone playing Assetto Corsa or ACC using VR? I have a Oculus Quest 2 and I cannot get the frame rate where I think that it should be. I am running it on a USB 3 cable that had a lot of good reviews on Amazon. 

I have played with all the settings many times. The Oculus settings, the VR Stream settings, changing settings on the headset in SideQuest and the setting in AC and Content Manager. I am not getting over 35 FPS. There are not a lot of good posts that I could find to help me. ACC looks like trash, so I have been playing AC. 

Any ideas where to look? any links to someplace that can offer help? I have been looking on facebook groups and reddit, none of the web forums I found have been too helpful. I dont care for youtube as I get sidetracked and wind up messing with something totaly unrealted. 

Below are the specs of my computer. Thanks 

Processor: AMD Ryzen7 2700X 8-core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) CPU Processor
Motherboard: B450M Motherboard
Memory:16GB DDR4 3000 Gaming Memory
Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 2070 SUPER  
SSD: 1TB SSD  

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/22/21 6:23 p.m.

I have a similar PC setup as you (substitute your AMD processor for an Intel overclocked to 5.1 GHz with the same GPU) and AC runs pretty decent on it. I run a Windows MR headset though so I use Steam VR with it so I'm not sure I can be any help to you. I know in Steam VR playing with the supersampling really cleared up the image for me but that won't gain you any framerate. Good luck though, there's so much cool content for AC that it is worth figuring out.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 HalfDork
3/3/21 12:41 p.m.

Unfortunately the Quest 2 does not send native video and audio through USB.    It has to compress it similar to the process to compress audio and visual for streaming but it must do so dealing with something like 4x the normal resolution compared to twitch streaming.   This means it must earmark a fair amount of computer capability to do so.   Some games deal with this better than others.   

While the core count and clock speed of the 2700 processor are great for what it is it is still the equivalent of an i3 in the cache and pipelines to the PCI express channels.   Sims are incredibly processor intensive and the compression on top makes it all the more difficult.  I think the system would be able to handle Asetto Corsa with a native video headset like the Rift S but the extra compression overhead is just pushing it too far.  I don't think turning the in game graphics down will help as the bottleneck is likely the processor and not vid card.

For that reason I recommend you lower the bit rate of the Quest 2 connection which will ease some of the load on the processor.   You should be able to start increasing the graphics in game to send some of that load to the video card and balance it out so the overall picture quality is decent while maintaining the frame rate.   Lower the refresh rate of the headset to the lowest you are comfortable with for example I have no issues with the 80hz the Rift S runs at for racing games.

While the Quest 2 is very impressive for the resolution and refresh rate it can output even the beefiest computers mostly only hit those numbers on very easy to run games like Beat Saber and Gorn.   Sim experiences require much more out of a computer and compromises have to be made.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
3/4/21 5:20 p.m.

thanks for the write up.  I found the USB test on the Quest app and the cable that I had (that had tons of great reviews) turned out to be crap. Luckily it was still in the window for an Amazon return. I got a new one, played with the settings and I am able to switch the Quest to 90hz and get a average of 89 FPS with the graphics turned up. The new cable made all the difference. I have only played AC and not ACC yet, and I let my iRacing account expire. 

sim racing in VR is so cool. I am not faster, but I have been able to do 10 laps with +/-0.1 second lap time difference (practice - no other cars on track).  I am very happy with it now. 

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 HalfDork
3/4/21 5:23 p.m.

In reply to Rusnak_322 :

That's fantastic and yeah I love VR sim racing.   I'm glad you got your setup worked out. As stupid as $70 for a cable sounds I do think the oculus link cable is the best solution especially if you do room scale stuff and need to move around the flexibility and lightness of the link cable means more than most would think.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gVIXUW0l2oovnuwmRVdsNiY2GSPIHgUOchn5D9cPLHMSDXaRDZj7isgc2FMzKD9L