Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
5/28/15 10:17 a.m.

Argo1 wrote:

OK, since we are discussing passing under braking, I thought that I would chime in. Last week Anth was the perfect dance partner as we swapped position many time during two races. It was a "clinic" on how to pass heading into corners. We never touched. If a picture is worth a thousand words, here are a few thousand showing a few different situations last week.

Start of lap two and Anth drafts past me down the straight and I cannot pull even before the corner (1). I slot in behind (2).

I get a run on him into turn 3 (1). I pull fender ahead before the turn in point - note wheels are straight (2). Anth slots in behind to give chase (3).

I mow some grass and lose momentum heading into turn 6 and Anth sets up for a run down the inside (1). He realizes he won't pull ahead by turn in and backs out. I give room inside just in case (2).

He gets past down the straight on the next lap and I catch him with a run into the hairpin (1). I out brake him and pull fender ahead before the turn in point - note both cars have straight wheels (2). Anth slots in behind to give chase again (3).

Anth drafts past on the next straight (1). I cross over and draft back up the inside (2). I manage to gain fender ahead before the turn in point - both cars straight wheels again (3). Anth falls in behind to attack again. Lather, rinse, repeat (4).

The point is that two drivers with situational awareness and who are in control of their cars can swap positions many times cleanly during a race. If the pass is completed before the turn in point it does not interfere with the other car completing the corner. They may not get the fastest line but it does not put them off - just like in real races. Also note that in none of the situations were we nose to tail in the braking zone. That is the cause of most contact at corner entry.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/28/15 8:37 p.m.

Forgot all about that post! That was a while back.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/15 10:28 p.m.

I was going to say is that the gt300 series?

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/28/15 10:55 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Yep. It was at Fuji.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
5/28/15 11:00 p.m.

This really is a great way to show the proper rules and good driving techniques. A good lesson for the new guys, and a good refresher for the rest of us.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2bRAMcjttefeDJEXstwdgXE9k2ktw4HlexQr4sR1ryGLVJSqelSvEHpCQ5c2gWUa