1 ... 45 46 47
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/21/21 8:37 a.m.

I ran with the TDT crowd last night.  Good times. 

The S800 is a fun little car on a tight track.  Maybe good for a... kart track :)

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/21 8:55 a.m.

I would also like to change the track.  The current one is "ok" but I am getting tired of it.  I am ok with something new to experiment with.   I am thinking that the GTE cars will be better on a faster track but I have not tested any of them so I may be completely wrong.  

dean1484
7/21/21 9:00 a.m.

Air, can you actually make a car pack?  I was thinking depending on how the GTE cars perform could you go in and equalize them and then we put it together as a pack?  We would have to look at both handling, power, and power to weight.  Not a simple task.  Obviously what is fun is that cars do have differences but lap times are similar. Like the Mini and the Falcon as an extreme case.  Also, track type plays a big role in it as well but being that it is a class of cars equalizing tires, weigh hp and torque would be within the ruleset anyway yes?  Or do they work on a power to weight system with weight being added to cars as a season progresses.  Similar to what we were doing in the previous race series here on GRM.

cmcmillin31
cmcmillin31 New Reader
7/21/21 11:54 a.m.

The S800 was a lot of fun to drive, and I agree it would be good on a short track.  

For tonight is there a separate discord server for Wednesdays?  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/21/21 11:55 a.m.

Just zipping the car folders into one package will cause them to load all at the same time, so a car pack is pretty easy.

Adjusting base weight, torque, and braking power is very easy.

Tire swaps are very easy, assuming there are tires of the desired size and type on another car.

Suspension adjustments are of course a bit more involved.

GTE cars?  Have you looked at this?:  https://assettomods.wixsite.com/assettomods/single-post/GTE-Pack

GT500?: https://assettomods.wixsite.com/assettomods/single-post/gt-500-pack

Volkswagen Kaboom Bug 2008 by Lucas Mace

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/21/21 11:57 a.m.

Wednesday night is the "official" unofficial GRM Assetto Corsa night.  That is through the GRM discord.  The game runs 99% of the time on a server that Dean hosts, but I can backup host as needed.

Two Drink Tuesdays is a separate collection of racers (although some overlap) and they have their own discord server and their own game server.

dean1484
7/21/21 3:22 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I will have to look at that GTE pack.  Looked like it is only 4 cars?  I may already have the Ford GT and the Aston in the google drive content folder.

dean1484
7/21/21 3:24 p.m.

Ohhhhh My!!!!  GT500 cars!!!!  I remember those!!!  Those were fun!!!

dean1484
7/21/21 3:28 p.m.

Hay Matt.  If you get a chance reach out to Spool and see if he is joining us.  We can not have you running away from us without some competition.  Tell Spool we will even run hairdresser cars if he shows up.. ;-)

I wonder if they have a replica of the car Spool was driving.  Cool Lotion?  Cold Lotion?  Don't remember the exact name but we could see about racing those.  Was that an MX6 or a Probe? It has been a while.  Just think of the livery opportunities for Air!!!!!

I found this:  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10c-yEA8iJOvoyeAe7UDPZhsxMF1VAogx

I also found this place for even more cars:  https://assettocorsa.club/mods/auto/

dean1484
7/21/21 3:30 p.m.

Air I was thinking this

dean1484
7/21/21 3:37 p.m.

And I found this.  An XJ13!!!!  We need to see if this works.  It was a car of myth and legend when I was a kid.  One of my dream cars to build as a kit of some sort.

https://assettocorsa.club/mods/auto/jaguar-xj13.html

From here: https://assettocorsa.club/mods/auto/

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/21/21 5:42 p.m.

I believe that was one of the 20 mill cars in GT.

On a similar note, apparently High Speed Ring is out there also, that brings the list up to:

• Apricot Hill/midfield
  • Trial Mountain 
  • High Speed Ring 
  • Seattle Circuit 
  • Grand Valley Speedway 
  • Autumn Ring 
  • Deep Forest Raceway 
  • Special Stage Rt 5

Here is a bit of bait for Spool:

dean1484
7/21/21 6:00 p.m.

High speed ring was where Matt and I had the epic M5 race.  I ran out of gas on the last lap in the last corner. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
7/22/21 11:59 a.m.

I had to dig up an ancient photobucket account to find the photo, but here is the closest finish that we had in the old GT series.  This was me vs Graefin at SS Route 5.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/22/21 12:19 p.m.

Yeah, I remember that one.  I remember making a pic with a line drawn on it to show the finish line because it was so ridiculously close.

Here are some pics from last night (the S600 race did not save for some reason):

cmcmillin31
cmcmillin31 New Reader
7/22/21 1:22 p.m.

I love that it says "visit Florida" 

Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
7/22/21 4:54 p.m.

Ah! I missed the good stuff last night!

dean1484
7/22/21 9:23 p.m.

GTE cars are up on the server at the moment. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/22/21 10:54 p.m.

It was definitely a contrast of cars.  The S600 and Caterham where both very dynamic cars that loved to drift, the GTE cars essentially did not tolerate any sliding.  The Aston also hated almost any curb and too much gas at low speeds, so stay well within the lines at all times!

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
7/23/21 1:44 p.m.

I think the GTE cars will be interesting.  The Vantage and Camaro are super fast in a straight line but give up some in the corners.  The Porsche is slow on the straights but faster through the twisty bits and has better fuel economy.  The only issue with the Porsche is that you have to use the hard tires, anything softer will overheat immediately, and the other cars can run softer compounds without being similarly punished.  That said, depending on the tracks and/or race length or consumption rates it could be a strong car.  

dean1484
7/24/21 8:49 a.m.

I really liked the GTE cars. My testing mimics what Matt said. I want to test the Ferrari more. I drove it some and liked it very much. It was similar the the 911 just not quite as good in the corners but it also had a bit more speed in the straits.   It  is interesting that the basic traits  of these cars is very similar to the what I remember in PC2. 

I would like to test these with max tire ware and fuel use to see if they would be a possible choice for that type of series. 

They may also lend them self to a sprint type series. 

It would be interesting to here from people about doing a series.  I am torn in that I am liking that we have been changing things up every week or two. Even changing it up on the fly as we did this week with the gte cars. It is also nice that we all start out with a clean slate every week.

I remember some series that we did that as they went on people would drop out as they fell further and further behind the leaders in the series. I completely understand this as I can see people basically not having fun after a time.  

dean1484
7/25/21 12:57 p.m.

No Spool?  Did anyone hear from him?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/25/21 1:42 p.m.

He's probably been setting up AC and has realized he cannot set the steering to 90 deg lock to lock :)

Regarding the racing:  We should probably try and set up a short test race, with pit stop, since we really haven't done much of that.  It would be nice to test the affect of handicapping weight adds also since we would probably want to use that also.

Cranking up the fuel / tire wear is probably the best way since the required pit stop thing was a bit strange in a short race when someone gets far behind or ahead.

Silverstone International seems like it would fit the bill.  We can see if any of the cars have tire wear or fuel issues.  I am curious about the size of the fuel tanks on the cars (which can easily be adjusted if needed BTW)

Doing some checking the C7.R is a base car, so we should add it to the list:

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/26/21 9:35 p.m.
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/27/21 11:24 a.m.

I suspect, if nothing else, that would create some pretty clean racing...

Oh, and in doing some research, the GTW BMW is out there, but it would have to be purchased ( € 3,00 )

1 ... 45 46 47
Our Preferred Partners
RooyENgWjTsSc2hvG9ncPiTn2EtoBMOySMNOmMpbJlecvhJ8VY9ClmPOcrJ5ZrUS