1 ... 62 63 64 65 66
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/24/21 1:38 p.m.

Yeah 11 and 12 is what I was referring to.  

T1 I overshot for like my first 10 laps lol

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
11/24/21 3:26 p.m.
BradLTL said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

You really need to take some brave pills for T1.  It's blind and the corner falls away from you before the course comes back to you.  So you turn in faster than you think, you start to slide wide towards the trap, and then grip comes back at the last minute.

https://youtu.be/1RwUGrIkD04?t=259

The other one is "tunnel turn", or turns 11 and 12.  You have to get 11 right or you end up on the grass outside of T12.  In both of those corners you have you use a lot of curb to hit the line just right.  I never quite got it right with the speed+line.  I could do 1 but not the other.

https://youtu.be/1RwUGrIkD04?t=343

Road Atlanta has a couple turns like T1 at Barber, a bit less severe in terms of elevation but a little higher speed and it definitely takes some practice working up to it.

Brad, you may also want to invest in the virtual track walk that Ross Bentley does, they are fantastic and have helped me greatly getting up to speed on a couple of tracks.  There is a TON of information given, it usually takes me a week or two to fully digest and make my own track notes from.  As a point of reference, I've been to Road Atlanta three times, my first was just standard youtube video watching/line discussion.  I was way off pace of the classes I usually compare my times with so I knew it was driver error.  Between my first and second times there I only did one event so I don't think my driving skills changed much between, but I did get the virtual track walk and spent a lot of time with it.  My next time out I immediately dropped 4 seconds.  They aren't super cheap, but the time drop vs money invested can't be beaten.

https://speedsecrets.com/virtual-track-walks/

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/21 6:43 p.m.

We are on for tonight.  A test and tune event with some sprint races tossed in with the R53 at barber.  Brad are you on discord?   If you are or want to join we could stream our views and you could watch /heckle us and see what we are doing. You would also get a feel for the car in the game. 

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
11/24/21 7:14 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

FedEx has so graciously decided to not deliver either of my packages today (one of them was dinner, so that is frustrating).

I do have a discord account, I'm guessing that it's my same username because I'm not very original. I'll try and get logged in so I can chat with you.

Edit.. I'm BradLTL#4557

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
11/24/21 9:12 p.m.

Ok, here's a similar dyno to the mods mine has currently

Weight is 2513lbs (and I weigh 210 if you're asking)

Also the drag coefficient is 0.39

I don't know if you can account for tire size, but I was running 205s. The Dunlop's seem very temperature sensitive as well.  Saturday it was 80 and overcast, I was 3-5 seconds a lap faster than Sunday (videos) when it was 93 and bright sun on the track.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/24/21 11:01 p.m.

This is the engine in the car w  were running tonight.

Wheel Torque (nm)

Car + driver is 1275kg

Drag coeff appears to be 0.32 * 0.69 = .22  which is insane and would explain the speed being way too high at the end of the straight.  Alternatively, it could be .303, I'm not sure exactly how the game calculates this.  Either way it seems to be off by quite a bit.

Perhaps equally concerning is I can't figure out where frontal area is in any of the files

gears: 

If you could find a reliable source for the actual gear ratios in your trans that would be helpful

dean1484
11/25/21 5:42 a.m.

The mini was good fun at Barber last night.  I could see that as being a series or at least part of a series. Looking at the torque numbers above it makes sence that the BOP did not hit this car that hard as peak power was in the middle of the range not at the top.  

The GT cars were a bit bonkers.  Some testing after at Goodwood and the best lap I have is a mid 1:24. Race pace for me will be higher. 

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
11/25/21 7:24 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

If you could find a reliable source for the actual gear ratios in your trans that would be helpful

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/25/21 2:00 p.m.
dean1484 said: ​​​​​Looking at the torque numbers above it makes sence that the BOP did not hit this car that hard as peak power was in the middle of the range not at the top.

The numbers I posted are wheel torque.  Peak power is up top.

dean1484
11/25/21 4:57 p.m.

Assetto Corsa is on sale again on steam. 

dean1484
11/25/21 8:42 p.m.

Some Mini on Mini Action at Barber

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
11/25/21 10:14 p.m.

I absolutely love the last car on the grid going all Hunt for the Blue October and becoming a submarine approaching T2 after the start.  That said, what kind of monster has the map in the dead center of the screen?

dean1484
11/25/21 11:37 p.m.

I use it like a hud. At first it is a bit weird but I got use to it quickly. If started with the Corvette. It is so fast in a strait line and the tracks are narrow you can not take your eyes off the track even for a second. Now that I have had it this way for a while I really like it.  

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
11/26/21 5:41 p.m.

Ok. After suffering through FedEx's guessing at delivery, the PC showed up today. I spent some of the day getting it setup. Windows, Steam, Discord, AC+CM and a few other small things.

Wheel took some doing to get going.  Had to install G Hub before it would respond to controls in AC.

With SOL and the shader update, all textures set to ultra, it runs a respectable 80+ FPS (which is good because the TV is only showing 60). Not bad for $400.

Need to actually get into and configure it now, but I'm exhausted and only running on 4 hours sleep... so tomorrow then.

dean1484
11/26/21 5:56 p.m.

E30 Race finish

from back in February 2021

dean1484
11/26/21 10:47 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

That is great!!!  This game is remarkable in that it can look as good as it does and can run on computers that are far from top of the line.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/27/21 7:43 a.m.

What are the specs on what you got?  That's pretty decent performance for a $400 box.  I would advise trying a race with 8-10 other cars to make sure the performance holds up.  Also be aware that some mods will tax things way more than the kunos stuff as they aren't nearly as optimized.

dean1484
11/27/21 9:24 a.m.

1080p is the key.  I think you could run it on one of those high end kitchen appliances. AKA Doom running on a toaster. laugh

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
11/27/21 9:30 a.m.

Yea, Dean's got it. I'm outputting 1080p and that helps a lot. 4k would bring it to its knees. It's an i7 3.7ghz, ssd, 16gb ram, and 1030gtx.

I debated buying something new with a better GPU, but then decided that this would work and difference in price is a race seat for the Mini.  Priorities.

dean1484
11/27/21 9:58 a.m.

Actually that is a decent rig for gaming.  Add a better graphics card when the prices come back to earth.

I have a AMD 3700x (8 cores at 3.6 ghz) 16 gb ram and a 2060super and it is pushing 260fps at 2k.  At 1080 it was something like 360fps.  I only have a 144 hz panel so anything above that is not needed.  

But I am also running the server on that while I play and have dedicated 4 cores of the cpu to that and every player on the server uses about 1gb of ram

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
11/27/21 12:47 p.m.

Spent a few minutes this morning configuring things and then running a couple laps at Barber for level setting. In the short session, 10 laps or so, I was in the mid 47s. It was fairly easy to pick up and drive, so not at all like Project Cars.

Things that I immediately noticed about the Mini:

• There is what feels to be a hole in the power from about 4000 to 5500 that doesn't exist on my car.
  • In order for it to feel right, you use 2nd gear which you don't in real life
  • I can't steer it on the brakes as well as in reality, the rear of the car is too stable under braking
  • We've already talked about the car being too fast
  • The curbs at Barber, specifically the kink, are too flat. You can't hit them that hard IRL or it'll push you off the left side of the track
  • The crest at T4 isn't significant enough, you need to almost be straight on the steering wheel when you crest the hill or you'll go for a ride, it also feels much steeper IRL

Hopefully my kids will behave and I can mess around some more tonight.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/27/21 1:47 p.m.

Power band is easy to fix / adjust. Based on your graph above, it looks to be a bit of a flatter torque curve high up than what is in the game.

Brake steering is likely brake bias (maybe rear toe?), with is also easy to fix.  Adding adjustable bias might be a good way to tune it in.  I can probably play with these two this weekend.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/27/21 1:53 p.m.

As a reminder, if anyone wants a VERY good discount coupon for (quality tools at affordable prices) let me know.  I have  4 more I can give out, I just need your real name and an email address to send the coupon too.  Dean is ready to go.  Matt and Darwin, I already have you info, so if you want one, let me know.

I want to submit them and get the coupons by Monday or Tuesday of next week, since they are effective next Tues I believe (for two weeks).

dean1484
11/27/21 2:36 p.m.

Also the fall steam sale is in effect and Assetto Corsa with every add on pack is less than $15.00. The base game is $7.93

dean1484
11/27/21 2:44 p.m.

Brad we have a tune for the R53 that cleans up the handeling. It has become one of my favorite cars in the game. 

If anyone is looking for a challenge Take the R53 with Prodarwins tune and try Targe Floral track. It is so much fun. 72km track from the 50s that winds its way around the mountians of Italy.  

A note to those that try it. You have to turn off fuel usage or you will not make it with a full tank at normal usage. 

Video of My lap. Yes it is a 40 plus minut lap in the R53.  This is also why I moved the track map up in the center. You need it in this track. 

1 ... 62 63 64 65 66
Our Preferred Partners
51IPENAiwEzR24TecYw4tDFnvsmOqB9sEov2itpJkhSNTPY9fcXc0jiAu6TLvJaw