1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 ... 160
Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/23/23 3:11 p.m.

Great racing last night!

If only I could have capitalized on my pace... LOL

Got away clean on the start of the 1st race, but ran off and spun in Loop on the restart.  Then I burned up my tires trying to catch the field and spun a couple of times.  Did manage a 2:02.7 lap in race one... not that it helped!

2nd race I had a good run through the field and caught the race for second...  got into 3rd and got bumped from behind and spun off.  Caught back up to 5th by race end, which I think is my best finish so far.

No problems I saw with track re-entry last night.  Now that everyone has "radar" I think we've probably resolved that issue.

Gotta say I was disappointed with the driving dynamics of the NA Miata...   I just did a few laps around Nurburgring GP with the ND Miata.  It drives far better than the NA, even with the slight tuning changes we tried last night, and it's a little faster.  You can still get it loose and slide it around, but it's way less snappy than the NA, and I think it would make for better racing, especially when several folks are running close and someone gets a little loose.  I would encourage folks to try it out.

That SR20 E30 is a hoot.  It really rewards driver finesse, but I think it's a little too mental for close racing.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/23/23 3:51 p.m.
dean1484 said:

In reply to BradLTL :

If people don't mind we could run those tracks with the Miata. We could add the Brad Mini to the test folder as well. 

Most of the tracks are WIP and some are hot garbage.  I wouldn't want to subject anyone to that.  Only RA, Nashville and Hallet are worthy of other people.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 4:53 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

You did not try the Pacer????  wink

dean1484
3/23/23 4:54 p.m.

I am just saying that we will be doing pacer racing at some point.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/23/23 6:27 p.m.

Mini or Miata single races on one lap tracks.

Afterward exhibition shenanigans race with stuff like E30 or pacer

That is my proposal 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/23/23 6:45 p.m.

That might be a good way to explore options.  Although I would say, the second race is always the most interesting.

On that note, I am interested in everyone's opinion on the 70's cars in the Testing folder.  They very much drive like cars from 1970 (e.g. Sauce will hate them), but that are interesting to drive and might make for some good racing (?)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/23/23 8:16 p.m.

Final results and standings:  Congrats to Sauce for a rather clear win.  Colin almost caught Dean, Gameboy just avoided getting passed by Darwin and despite his best effort in giving me 6th place, Brad still managed to keep it (essentially only because he placed better then me in the last race).  I am posting the first post below for archival purposes (linked from 1st post)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/23/23 8:17 p.m.

FINAL STANDINGS:

RESULTS:

The Cars:

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/prod.mm.com/uploads/2023/01/24/1674613756_image_mmthumb.png

dean1484
3/24/23 8:24 a.m.

Definitly want to look at the 1970s car pack. 

dean1484
3/24/23 8:25 a.m.

Oh and we need to come up with a t shirt. 

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
3/24/23 8:53 a.m.

I have to download that carset.  Go Javelin.

After looking over the results from the 1st series I could see a distinct improvement in my finishing positions.  Let's see if I can do that with the Miatae

MKirby

dean1484
3/24/23 6:46 p.m.

The Pacer is not a bad driving car and makes great noises. It is far from fast but for some weird reason I like it!!!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/24/23 10:14 p.m.

The pacer on a kart track must happen.  It's too fun

Random grid, series of 5x. 3 lap sprint races or something 

e30Matt
e30Matt SuperDork
3/25/23 8:09 p.m.

I seem to be in the minority here,  but aside from the rear brake locking issue I don't have a problem with how the NA Miata drives.  The Bentley required very deliberate inputs (especially with the pedals) and it may just be that the NA is in the same vein so it was an easier transition, but other than the brakes I have no complaints about the car.  The ND is undoubtedly easier and may be the way to go, but I'm fine either way.  

dean1484
3/26/23 12:17 p.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

I can drive it but it is not a simple car to drive. Loose is fast but loose can also be frustrating annoying and generally not conducive to close racing. 

e30Matt
e30Matt SuperDork
3/26/23 5:32 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

That's the thing, I don't find it to be loose at all, to me it's generally neutral. The exception is if you try to trail brake and the rears lock up, but just brake easy and in a straight line and that isn't a problem. 

dean1484
3/26/23 6:53 p.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

Mostly under braking it is loose. And there is no adjustment for it. 

I will play with it more but it was under braking and turn in that it is loose but if you don't get it rotating it will plow out of the corner. It takes a specific driving style. 

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
3/27/23 7:38 a.m.

So this week are we running the NA Miata at Nurbergring?  Or is it testing for the next upcoming series?

Just curious as that is who I am.  

See you virtually on track.

MKirby

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/27/23 12:04 p.m.

Normally we do have a bit of a break between series, to allow figuring out the new one (car and tracks) and test out some cars to make sure there are no issues.  Even if the NA Miata is "the one" it's not a bad idea to throw in some other possible cars, if for nothing else, future consideration.

I have access to some new tracks BTW:  There is un update to Heartland as well as Thunderhill.  There is an Irish (?) track called Tandragee which is sort of an old school urban track (might be good for a Miata).  There is also a fantasy track set in the mountains that looks cool (might be better for higher powered cars though).  Pics shown below.

I am playing with the highlights from the last race.... uhm.... was there a problem with running Porsches there?  Only looked at most of the first race and, damn!

Regarding the t-shirt.   I did see some drawings on Discord which might be a good start for a t-shirt (sort of water color colorize it?).  Do we want to do an "artsy" t-shirt, or a bit more photo?  My initial though is to do a shot of the Sauce Bentley doing something impressive with a tag line something like "Why pass the Grey Poupon when you can pass the entire field?" or maybe "When you can't pass the Grey Poupon because your on a flyer!"

I will be out next week BTW.

Pics of the new tracks:

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/27/23 12:16 p.m.

Sehnanigans are fun, but I prefer we actually have a defined race even if its not a series week.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/27/23 12:42 p.m.

Yeah, that is fair.  It can get pretty non-productive to just goof around. 

We really don't need long races for testing, so maybe 2 or 3 lappers?  We have NA and NC Miata's we can play with.  Just stick with Nurbergring?  Something like Thunderhill might be a good option also (lots of different lengths / variations).  It might be fun to throw in a Mustang / Javelin race.  Some of the new guys might enjoy finding out what the old cars drive like.  Of note, I have no idea how those cars match up, but there are multiple versions, from street to race.  I still like the idea of a classic Mini race (some are not a fan of how they drive, it takes some getting used to).

This would be the time if someone want to try something, to suggest it.  Favorite car.  Favorite series etc.  Most all of it is out there (some of the super modern stuff may be a bit more difficult).  Some live up to the hype, some don't', now is the time to figure that out.

andy_b
andy_b Reader
3/27/23 2:02 p.m.

If they haven't been run before, there is a Formula Vee car out there that is a blast to drive.  Slow car that truly feels fast, is reasonably forgiving, and is loose enough to make finding the limits a challenge.  

Could be fun as a spec class or as part of a balanced vintage field. 

EDIT:  Here is the FV car I played around with: Miscellaneous Minutiae: Formula Vee ------ version 20220522 (perendinator.blogspot.com)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/27/23 2:09 p.m.

Someone suggested a car very similar to the formula V's.  Some open wheeled car from the early 70's, don't remember the name, I will look for it.  I found a good model of it, so that is an option also (I think a bit more power than the V?).  It looks like there is a FV model out there somewhere, someone posted a undated physics mod for it on Race department.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/27/23 3:28 p.m.

Found a Formula V car and the other one I was thinking about is a Formula Ford (about twice the HP).  I can put them in the test folder if we want to try them:

dean1484
3/27/23 6:40 p.m.

I was going to run the Miata. Maybe we do two 10 minute races with revers grid. I can preset several server setups so we can cycle through maybe 4 cars if we start promptly at 9:00 we could be done by 10:30 or so. 

I will set up the two Miata's the Pacer and one other. A mystery car. I will make sure it is a Kunos car

1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H1ZoRPmgSUvKY4Mq1MkAbyO2Q3uGI0jvozcdhSwWlNlOluHzhGLCuLI0FJjKqdtZ