1 2 3 4 5 ... 160
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/20 11:20 p.m.

Sorry Matt I just saw this. But after mucking with this I finally got it working and Air was able to join my server!!!!  We had both him and my son on track at the same time!!!  

We can discuss things more tomorrow night. I need to put together a "how to" for the server setup. It was not really all that bad now that I know all the settings you have to take care of. 

The problem is there is not a complete guide anywhere on the web that I could find. I had to read a bunch of "setup guides" and piece together all the various things. It was like every guide did not include one step or one setting.  

The biggest issue that I had to sort out is this game is older and came out before the windows defender security/firewall became a thing that is now installed as part of windows 10. I had to figure out on my own the inbound and outbound port settings for the various protocols. There is nothing on the web that addresses this properly. The last bit that I figured out tonight with Allaircooled was the forwarding of the HTTP port in my routers fire wall and in windows defender.   Turns put that you treat it as both a UDP and a TDP port and not as a HTTP port. 

If I have time I am going to put together a setup guide so other people can not have to go through what I did. 

dean1484
10/28/20 8:27 a.m.

All of this means that we now have an alternative to PC2.  One cool thing is I could set up an entire season on a server and then be done. I have a bunch to learn about all the possible options with in the server admin panel. 

What would be helpful is if others have the game they should also download the Assetto Corsa server setup and install it. It is super simple just download it then make a directory called "server" in the game directory and unzip the server zip file to it. Then you can run the server setup. You can technically unzip it anywhere if you just want to look at it but doing it this way you can run an actual server later if you want.   Anyway there are many many setup options that could make things fun and different some similar to the things we use to do in GT  

I also spoke with my son about setting up a discord and he told me he will show me how to do it. According to him it is two clicks of a mouse and you naming a couple things. He has watched me go through the steps of figuring out the Assetto Corsa server and he said it is way less complicated than that. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/29/20 8:45 p.m.
aircooled said:

I have noticed my wheel has noticeably more dead space than in AC.  I am looking into adjustments that might help.

Whatever happened with the Discord server? I never got any info back from that.

Of minor note:  It looks like the the Setup Database for AC is down.  I am not sure if there are any good alternatives.

edit:  setting gain to 107% seems to help a lot (it's a Logitech thing apparently)

if you never got info back you got stuck in my junkmail.

i've been really busy at work.. so i've not been paying attention to the sim thread

dean1484
10/30/20 6:58 a.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
aircooled said:

I have noticed my wheel has noticeably more dead space than in AC.  I am looking into adjustments that might help.

Whatever happened with the Discord server? I never got any info back from that.

Of minor note:  It looks like the the Setup Database for AC is down.  I am not sure if there are any good alternatives.

edit:  setting gain to 107% seems to help a lot (it's a Logitech thing apparently)

if you never got info back you got stuck in my junkmail.

i've been really busy at work.. so i've not been paying attention to the sim thread

Dropped you an email. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/30/20 8:52 a.m.

Was hoping to jump on and try and play when I got back home this week.  Got back home on wed night and have been without power since thursday morning :/

dean1484
10/30/20 9:00 a.m.

So now that I think I have the server end of things all set is there any interest from people to get together and practice / race / mess around?   Depending on things we could use the discord server noted above for voice chat or as I noted earlier or I can look in to setting that up as well specific to this. 

We could mess around with various cars and and run some sprint races (4-6 laps).  Or if people want we can do longer races.  Or we don't have to race at all just test and tune and try various cars / tracks (the on line choices are HUGE) and see what we all like.   I am betting that we could race 80's GM vans or do a radwood race or VW bugs.  You name it and it is most likely out there to race in this game.

dean1484
10/30/20 9:02 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

It would be fun!!!  I am sure Allaircooled is in and I know Matt will join.  We can see if there are others intrested in some pick up races. 

dean1484
11/12/20 4:26 p.m.

I was going through some old photos I had from years past

Close Finish!!!

High Speed Ring_18

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/15/20 10:55 a.m.

Ok, what's the must have list for multiplayer?  I have some time today and I want to get ready to play.

I have AC installed and working as I have played it many times.  I have not downloaded *any* mods.  Which ones are you guys playing?

I guess I need to get a bluetooth headset also (by wired ones keep dying).

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/16/20 11:49 a.m.

I would highly suggest the Content Manger (just a better way to run and manage the game) as well as the Shader Patch (wildly improves the look) and the SOL weather patch (better sky's and weather).   The first two are linked in the second post.

I am not sure what will be "required" though.  Either way, using the Content Manager will make any changes much easier, you can uninstall and install very simply from it.

Be aware that depending on your PC setup, the shader patch will slow it down (it of course is highly adjustable), but does make the game look MUCH better.

I also installed an overview app (HeloCorsa) and a tire temp / wear app that I have not tried yet (ProTyres)

I guess one important question would be:  What mods NEED to be in place for all participants?  Clearly cars and tracks.  I "think" the shader patch should not be required (your view will just be better) but it seems pretty obvious SOL would have to be on everyone's setup if we want to use it (probably not initially at least, we have pretty much not used it in AC2)

dean1484
12/18/20 10:17 a.m.

We just need to sortout the voice thing. Get that sorted and we can see if others here on GRM want to try a couple of race for fun nights. Hell it is just fun to chat with people while screwing around in a sim. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/18/20 11:39 a.m.

To me the order of operations seems to be like this:

1) get voice working

2) play vanilla AC.  Pick a fun track and a fun car and play with that.  Guaranteed no compatibility issues.

3) start adding other mods one at a time, with some time in between.  Let people get up to speed.

I don't think having your first race with all the mods in place is good and it will prove to be overwhelming for many.

I'm still annoyed that managing mods in this game seems more difficult than it was for FPS games 24 years ago.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/18/20 11:55 a.m.

As noted, probably don't want to start with this, but I have been messing around with modding cars in AC.  Painting cars is pretty easy to do (just edit an exploded skin file).  Modding cars is a bit more involved.  You can change pretty much anything, but figuring out what and where those things are can be challenging.  For example, adding a rear bar to the Corvair model involves adding the bar specs in the Suspension area (which can be interesting figuring out what the values should be), but also adding the adjustment option for it in the Settings area (which controls what you see in the tuning area).

I need to figure out how to run the server for purposes of seeing what the options are.  I have read something that implies you can load up custom cars into the server that users can use, rather then have them all download the exact same file from somewhere.  This could be very useful if we wanted to do some more weird custom stuff (e.g. driving versions of peoples actual cars, interesting customs, handicap cars, etc.)

If, for example, we wanted the participants to have a custom livery on their car.  I suspect all the liveries would have to be loaded into one model and all participants would need to have that model.

12/18/20 11:56 a.m.

I've given Aircooled Admin access to the discord so we can utilize it better.

I can grant more admins as time goes on as well. this will allow us to more easily add more people.. but keep the canoes out.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/18/20 11:58 a.m.

Give Dean Admin also. He will be running the server.

12/18/20 12:03 p.m.

dean and slowbird also added.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/18/20 2:42 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Want a car model to try to port into AC?  I've badly wanted to try to get the LMP360 into AC but I'm just full up with other things to do.  

I'm down for some online racing as well.  Just avoid the 8:00 PM central time.  Over before or start after is best for me (that's kids bedtime)

dean1484
12/18/20 3:23 p.m.

I have the server thing figured out. (That was way more complicated than it needed to be)  

I will be running it on a AMD based system.  3700X in a X570 with 4 cores allocated to the server.  The other 4 cores will be used for me to play the game.  It will share 16GB ram and I have a 2060 super in it.  I have a decent fiber connection so lag and band width should be ok on my end.  Air and I are on opposite ends of the country and with him and my son playing while I watched the server there were no lag issues that I saw.  Air can comment on how he saw things.

I agree with not running any mods at the start.  (The KISS principal)  I propose using the BMW that comes with the game for starters. (other suggestions are very welcome)   

I can preloaded server configurations with cars and tracks so in theory we could jump from one server configuration to another.  It may require people to log back in but using a discord we will not loose voice communication so if there are issues we can still communicate.

If people want to propose car's and track combos we can start a "list" that we can start playing with.

My preference would be to run practice and qualifying followed by a short race.  Kinf od a test and tune with a short race at the end. That way we can get several "races" in over the course of an evening.  And if you crash out you are not stuck running for 20-30 minutes by your self.  If we want to do longer races in the future I am all for it but I figure lets get our feet wet as I am sure there are going to be glitches learning how things work.

dean1484
12/18/20 3:28 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

I've given Aircooled Admin access to the discord so we can utilize it better.

I can grant more admins as time goes on as well. this will allow us to more easily add more people.. but keep the canoes out.

Can you send me another invite.  I can not find the GRM Discord in my setup.  I have the 2 drink Tuesday in there

dean1484
12/18/20 3:31 p.m.

My discord is 

dean1484#9098

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/18/20 3:47 p.m.

One thing I am not sure of, but I think is not an issue, is whether I will need to uninstall SOL and the shader patch (they make the game look SOOO much nicer).  I don't think so, since they are both for appearance on my end, as long as we don't use any of the SOL weather effects (there are a lot more options then basic).  I did run a bit on Dean's server and it did not seem to be an issue.  There were also no lag issues I saw from Dean's server (we will need to load up on people from around the country to put that to a real test of course)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/18/20 4:27 p.m.
nocones said:

In reply to aircooled :

Want a car model to try to port into AC?  I've badly wanted to try to get the LMP360 into AC but I'm just full up with other things to do.  

I'm down for some online racing as well.  Just avoid the 8:00 PM central time.  Over before or start after is best for me (that's kids bedtime)

Yeah, I am not getting into the 3D modeling part.  Although I do have some experiance with 3D, I did play with Blender a bit, but it's pretty convoluted to use.

I am more talking about taking current models and modifying them to fit more specific cars.  E.g. Dean used to race an RX7.  It should be able to be re-created using a stock RX7 and adjusting the parameters appropriately.  I am curious to test this by trying to create the car then have him run it around Bridgehampton and compare it to the historical times he has.

I think the most challenging part may be matching the tires.  Currently it's pretty easy to swap around tires on cars in the game, but I am not sure how easy it would be to re-create (put the spec in on) an historic race tire.  Even if there is a comprable tire, the size may not be correct.  Size is likely a bit easier / safer to adjust I suspect though.

dean1484
12/18/20 7:20 p.m.

So Air does this mean we can run 1979 Chevrolet Chevette on the donut spare tires at some point?  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/18/20 7:49 p.m.

Well, there is an 88 Chevette available,

so yes.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/18/20 8:14 p.m.

I am so down for a spec chevette (or other hilariously slow car) series!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2kOLvJTJ0ynxurYXLcb953d8eTgoTGbQRJvmO7GC4loKyp1Tt5NiJaJFRGbB7Ezo