1 2
dclafleur
dclafleur New Reader
12/20/18 3:05 p.m.

I've been looking to upgrade my rig from a camping chair with a wheel clamped to a plywood tray but have been struggling to sift through everything.  Is the playseat evolution still one of the better deals for a relatively affordable (Under $500) setup?  I've looked at and vetoed most build it myself options. If I have the time to tinker with building it myself I'll end up working on my cars instead.  

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/20/18 5:17 p.m.

I have the GTR GTA setup with Fanatec wheel/pedals, and have many thousands of "miles" on it...  Looks like they're ~$400 these days, depending on the version.

GTR GTA sim seat Amazon

One thing I like about it is the seat slides like a normal car seat, so it doesn't require tedious adjustments for others to use it.

dclafleur
dclafleur New Reader
12/21/18 8:52 a.m.

That looks good, also has a pad for the shifter right out of the box, thank you! 

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
12/21/18 1:16 p.m.

Too bad the only quality looking setup I've found that doesn't include a seat (I've got spares, the last thing I need is another bucket) is only available from overseas.
Simetik K2
I'm already imagining being embarrassed about whatever I'd end up building from 2x4's.  

Office chair wedged against couch and pedals that slide away from my feet under braking (current setup) ... not so hot.

dclafleur
dclafleur New Reader
12/21/18 1:45 p.m.

That sounds similar to my setup, I added my folding camping chair since my office chair kept scooting.. I almost convinced myself to build something but that's like fixing up my shop, something that only happens in "The future."  If I have down time, and I'm working on a project it always ends up being one of my cars.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/14/19 2:49 p.m.

Check out Winchester Computer's sim.   You can buy all of the parts A-La-Carte, so pick and choose what you need.   The nice thing about this set-up, is it can easily be folded and stored in a closet when not in use.   The VR system is nice too--- as you won't bother your significant other while using the sim.

Winchester Computers Sim

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/14/19 4:30 p.m.

I built mine out of left over wood from my scrap pile over a weekend. The only thing I bought for it were the caster wheels, so the entire rig cost me like $25 and a few hours of my time. Unless I needed to have it sitting in the living room all the time, I would not consider dropping $500 on one. That being said anything that you buy will look better than what I built.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
1/14/19 8:12 p.m.

I like that Winchester setup...  that could be easily replicated by a GRMr with a welder and some tube steel.

Chada75
Chada75 New Reader
1/18/19 5:24 p.m.

An old Sprint Kart frame works good as well.

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 New Reader
1/20/19 7:08 p.m.

I got mine in 2013 from rseat.net. It looks like they’re still in business but the rigs look nicer than mine( not that mine is bad in any way). The monitor mount is from sim seats and they are still around too. 

Forth bedroom in the house is the game room. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/19 1:05 p.m.

Just get this out together for my son, it’s his birthday today:

Logitec 920 wheel, pedal and shifter on a $80 dollar frame and a Classic SAAB 900 seat I have had for 10 years probably.  

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
2/27/19 4:36 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

What $80 frame is that?

Other general questions as I'm contemplating building a ricmotech unit in the spring - what wheels does everybody recommend for a wheel and pedal setup for Forza 7 on Xbox? Who has advice on the cheapest dedicated sim build out there? I really liked the Winchester base that was posted. I need something sturdy * whether portable or not is irrelevant but if not it can't take up a ton of floorspace. 

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
2/27/19 5:10 a.m.

Bonus points if it fits my 7 y/o son (I'm only 5'5" so it's not that much of a stretch, LOL. laugh

Aaron_King
3/4/19 4:01 p.m.

In reply to chknhwk :

After I posted that I looked it up, it was $150 not $80, someone on Amazon had it for $80 but I missed it.  Here is what I got:  COCKPIT DRIVING SIMULATOR.  

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
3/5/19 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Thanks! I added it to my watch list to check out later tonight when I have time.  yes

dclafleur
dclafleur New Reader
3/5/19 12:30 p.m.

That still looks like a heck of a deal, I still haven't pulled the trigger on anything because I've been trying to get my car back together before my spring track days come up.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
3/5/19 1:26 p.m.

In reply to dclafleur :

I've got so much to do on my car it's just easier to fake it online than in real life...

dclafleur
dclafleur New Reader
3/5/19 2:04 p.m.

In reply to chknhwk :

I made a mistake of thinking I had my car good except for consumables halfway through the winter. Took it out on a "nice" day to check everything and was greeted with the nasty vibration of a munched pilot bearing.  

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
3/5/19 3:09 p.m.

Ouch. I opened my hood today when I got home cuz I saw a whiff of steam and was greeted with a giant nest...

Pics later. 

Aaron_King
3/6/19 8:40 a.m.

I had to add some metal rails in order to use the seat I had because the rig was too narrow and I also added some carpet sliders to the feet that came with it so my 11 year old could move it around by himself.  Other than that its been great, the rig is sturdy and it adjusts for height and length.

If you want more pictures let me know.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
3/6/19 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Pictures are always recommended!

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/6/19 6:44 p.m.

GT/F1 seat.  Seems like a nice seat package at a reasonable price.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
3/10/19 7:29 a.m.

Thanks for the seat recommendations! What's everyone's preferred wheel? I'm looking at the G920 but what's everybody's thoughts on the Thrustmaster?  Fanatec is pretty much out of my budget - total budget is around $500 for wheel, pedals, seat and rig.  Xbox One S, primarily playing FM7...

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
3/10/19 7:57 a.m.

My high end rig. 

*cat for scale*

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/19 9:30 a.m.

And Spool still stomps us with ease using that.  It is not about the size of your rig it is how you use it. 

laugh

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6xUOCv0YakpiWnYTbRduHvDKITHy9TgWXIsRhsYp5KtJpGRcFMTOic8iYbWsEgNs