RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/14/22 3:24 p.m.

Fine, I'll try this again. I'll edit links in later because I just had a huge post written up, changed tabs, and it's gone.

The piracy discussion, that stemmed from an emulator discussion, got me thinking about a lot of old games again. Now sure, there are a ton that are emulation only, due to low production numbers, age, lack of hardware sales, or being buried in the desert. But a handful of publishers actually like their fans and listen to them, and have made some great rereleases through the years.

I just wwantto highlight a few here for anybody that is looking.

Rare Replay Full game list

My personal favorite. They've got most Rare games from the 80s to early 00s. NO Golden eye or donkey Kong country. But the perfect dark series, attic attack, banjo and kazooie series, are all included. Also, and I think this is a really cool feature, as you play through the games and mark milestones or achievements or complete challenges, you'll unlock a lot of behind the scenes and making of videos, with the crew from rare taking through the challenges that had, or explaining concepts and how they had to work within hardware bounds. If you're into videogame history at all, that part is worth it. I got my copy at Gamestop years ago, bundled with Gears of War for like $7 used, now on gamepass. 

Midway Arcade Origins

It's older, came out during the 360/ps era, but includes over 25 classic midway arcade games, 720, rampage, arch rivals to name a few. Everything is as it was in the arcade, graphics, wonky controls and all. It's on sale a lot of the time for under $5 on Xbox. I don't track prices anywhere else. 

Sega mega drive classics. Full list from PlayStation blog

I picked it up for $8 on sale before Xmas, and it's also usually on sale. Sure you can play sonic everywhere these days, but when was your last round of Vector Man, Decap Attack, or Toejam and Earl? I count 53 games on its "shelf".

There are other packs, and if you have any please soak up, these are just my 3 favorites that I've found so far. I think I've spent maybe $25 for all three titles through the years too, for around 100 classics, I'd say 60% of which aren't weird catalog fillers. 

I'll try to edit in links to full game listings. 

Also, for those of you missing Golden Eye 64, it's coming soon. Rumor mill says March. Achievements have been unlocked by players on my tracking site, so it's in the hand of testers at least, but more likely reviewers. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
2/14/22 3:30 p.m.

Valkyrie needs food, badly.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WFX0p2s5Rmbfe7jlXnqP4YRcaFpi6uS8s6WTvTmcI5aYmqApprBNePCNGLeehc4H