1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/19/20 11:08 a.m.

Couple of questions/frustrations:

1)  Is there a way to get a practice run in without creating a whole championship?  I just want to pick a car and a track (or random track) and go.

2)  How come in career mode when I finish an event and I have the fastest time, on the next screen it will show a different driver with the fastest time? Sometimes by quite a bit.  Are the runs done in groups or heats or something?

End of stage screenshot from when I come to a stop after the finish:

Next screen:

Fugaku
Fugaku New Reader
1/19/20 7:15 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

2)  How come in career mode when I finish an event and I have the fastest time, on the next screen it will show a different driver with the fastest time? Sometimes by quite a bit.  Are the runs done in groups or heats or something?

Maybe it's simulating run order or something? So you had the best time when you finished, but someone after you beat your time?

Also I'm excited for R-GT! So many fun cars. Now which to choose....

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/19/20 9:43 p.m.

In reply to Fugaku :

It is indeed simulating run order.   Within the menus right before a stage you can find your place within the run order.   It will simulate the drivers before and after you.   It also considers terrain deformation as the surface gets torn up and that does effect the ai drivers times.

The best way I've found to practice is to create a custom championship which seems silly for what would normally be a practice mode in other sims but its how they do it I guess.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/19/20 9:45 p.m.
Maniac0301 said:

The best way I've found to practice is to create a custom championship which seems silly for what would normally be a practice mode in other sims but its how they do it I guess.

I was just messing with this.  Time-trial is the easy button actually.

I just drove an R-GT car and it was way, way better than expected.  I didn't see any way that level of power could be planted on a rwd car that easily.  I'm excited.

Fugaku
Fugaku New Reader
1/20/20 9:35 p.m.

I just finished the stages. Thought I'd give the M2 Comp a spin. In VR it feels like you sit low in the car, so I found myself having to straighten up and peer over the hood when going over hills.

Some other notes: I don't remember seeing what the surface degredation was for stage 2, but it felt like the car was wandering all over the place like the roads were rutted. It was certainly interesting. Managed to finish without taking real damage though. Honestly I felt pretty smooth until stage 4, where I lost my jive. I think I went off twice and spun 3 times. It probably would have ended my rally right there if it was real life. It was also spooky to go flat out on those certain sections in the dark. I saw ProDarwin and Dead Tom were pretty speedy in the dark. I lost a ton of time in those night stages.

I also took this event to try left-foot braking. It doesn't feel that much better than just lifting off the throttle to move the weight forward. It was only in certain sections where I was already going slow that I felt like I was able to throw the weight forward where I wouldn't have by lifting off. I also locked the tires a couple times attempting to throw the weight forward, so there's some risk to it too.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/20/20 11:10 p.m.

In reply to Fugaku :

I have that issue with some of the cars in VR.  My quick fix is to make sure I have reset view bound then I stretch or hunch so that when I reset the view and then sit normally it adjusts where I am in the car.  

This was a fun combo my previous experience in R-GT was with the Camaro and the Porsche.   Two cars which I have found I really don't like driving.   I think I would have been best in the M2 and it seemed really capable in my testing,   I liked the Aston Martin but it seemed like it didn't have the suspension travel.   As soon as you dropped a wheel it would get out of shape quick but it was really really good right up to that point.   The big surprise for me was the Mustang it feels as good as the M2 but is somehow more fun to drive.   

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/21/20 7:02 a.m.

That was fun, but I stuffed the car into a rock about 90% of the way through the first stage.  Second stage was all kinds of messed up, engine overheating, etc.  Luckily at the service area I was able to repair almost everything.  When you only have a single interval, there is no penalty to doing a quick fix.

I was trying to make up time and just got sloppy.  Had 2 offs I had to recover from.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/21/20 10:49 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I was chasing your time almost every stage.   We were going back and forth only a few seconds between us either way.   Fantastic fun and great runs.   I gotta figure out how to chase down Rocketsaru which I think is Fugaku here.   Its hard to keep track sometimes.   

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
1/21/20 4:15 p.m.

$20 later the game has been ordered. Arrives on Friday. I should be able to post some times this weekend. Will be playing with my Xbox controller.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/21/20 7:28 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Question:  How are the brakes for you guys in this game? 

I'm struggling with them.  They appear to binary.  I mean there are obviously different rates of slowing, but they lock almost instantly.  I tried a couple of different cars on the dirtfish free area and they lock up like crazy.  I decided to trouble shoot after I had been running a stage but several times I tapped the brakes lightly, started sliding, and let up but never recovered any grip.  Its very frustrating.

Ok, this is an issue again, but I think I'm getting close to figuring it out.  I drove the mini today on a wet asphalt course (something in Spain).  If you locked the brakes, the car will slide forever.  If you lock the brakes, then let up, then turn it, the car will slide forever.  You have to make sure you leave enough time for the wheels to grip again before turning.

But also, even if you brake just right, you have to turn in slowly or else the car will just go perfectly straight and you can hear the tires sliding. Trying to steer the car on that course was like walking on eggshells.  I guess I need to play with steering linearity a bit.  It would be nice if there were a little more info on that settings page.

shagles
shagles Reader
1/22/20 9:25 a.m.

Just ordered a copy. Should be here tomorrow so I can hopefully get in on the next series.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/22/20 12:31 p.m.

In reply to shagles :

You and Clutchsmoke should be in good shape make sure you create the account on the codemasters site and see if you can get into the racenet club.  I think you can do this even without the game in hand.

https://dirtrally2.com/clubs/club/232522

A new championship just started you have between now and Sunday to get your runs in for the week.  The championship will go on for 3 events so 3 weeks.  I've been keeping the Championships short to allow for a steady stream of new drivers.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/23/20 12:27 p.m.

That was super fun!  I used the Aston Martin (because the SOUND!) and was trailing until the very last stage, where I made up a bunch of time.

The next rally is Poland (very choppy, narrow, fast) in the slowest cars in the game- should be freaking awesome and a true test of everyone's bravery.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/23/20 1:32 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

"The next rally is Poland (very choppy, narrow, fast) in the slowest cars in the game- should be freaking awesome and a true test of everyone's bravery."

Heheh thanks I'm trying to come up with fun and exciting events.   Good matchups of classes and terrain type.   If anyone has any favorite pairings let me know.   If we want to do something like a 3 week championship with the same class for all events I can set that up as well.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/23/20 9:00 p.m.

Argh, frustrated.  

I was doing a historic championship.  Leading by ~24 seconds at the last stage.  At the last stage I still have a tire change.

One the tire change screen it shows Wet as recommended. 

Weather shows 0% chance of precipitation.  Stage overview says the same and says "Dry Surface"

I couldn't really tell which was correct, so I gambled and went with the soft tires.

Wrong, course is wet.  I don't think there is any chance of keeping a <30 second lead on the wrong tires :(

Upon further inspection, I realized the Stage Overview part was actually highlighting the first stage of the rally.

Again, the UI of this game really needs some work.

shagles
shagles Reader
1/24/20 6:48 a.m.

In reply to Maniac0301 :

I requested to join. For anyone else joining up, you do have to have the actual game installed before you can access the clubs section of the website. 

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/24/20 7:43 a.m.

In reply to shagles :

Awesome glad to have you.   Just got you approved.   Get some practice in Rally GT and jump on in.   Don't worry too much about doing amazing your first event.   On my first one I fell off a bridge on the first stage and died forcing me to DNS the rest of the week.

There is hardcore damage on with a medium repair area after the 2nd stage.   Assists are also off but I do have 1st or 3rd person camera enabled as I know some prefer one over the other and I don't believe there is a performance advantage for 3rd person drivers.   

czerka
czerka New Reader
1/25/20 12:24 p.m.

I'd be really good at this, if I could figure out how to keep from the guaranteed major screw up I do every stage.  Stage three was really fun on this one.  It was really satisfying getting the braking right as your flying thru the darkness and have to brake before you can see some of the corners.

shagles
shagles Reader
1/25/20 12:54 p.m.

Welp i DNF'd from too much damage to the car. That second stage beat me up a good bit. I definitely need some more seat time to get my Forza habits turned off. Tons of fun though. I started career mode so hopefully that'll help. 

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/25/20 5:31 p.m.

In reply to shagles :

Awesome.    This is one of those racing games where you think twice about full throttle for a very long time.   I love it.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
1/26/20 9:41 a.m.

Messing around with time trials now. Stages feel very narrow!

engiekev
engiekev Reader
1/27/20 9:46 a.m.

Good racing!  I think my favorite car in the game is that GT porsche, very easy to control with a light pedal.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
1/27/20 11:43 a.m.

I need to stop hitting things in the game. I think there was only one stage I did clean. The others I had an off or 3 before getting a flat then limping along from about half way to the finish. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/27/20 12:31 p.m.

I don't think I have ever driven a poland stage without hitting stuff :(.  And usually nothing but the "edge" of the course.

I may have to setup my wheel just for this stage.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
1/27/20 3:55 p.m.

It's probably more manageable with a wheel setup (I just have a controller) ,but on these stages in certain tight sections I went off the INSIDE of the turn a few times because seemingly at random the front end suddenly found a BUNCH of grip near the Apex and I didn't have enough room to counter it and add power. Anyone else notice this?

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EAQm5Rhl5TRy30dYd7uvBzu1lDBmy4DSvkpbqXgVlnx8KxjlwZON8f6fBHADSWKs