DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
3/3/20 1:58 p.m.

I'm looking for low budget sim rig ideas to attach a wheel, seat, and monitor to. Anyone have any links or pics to some decent setups? 

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
3/3/20 5:49 p.m.

I built mine out of 1" x 2" aluminum tubing.  I'm seen some made out of 2x4's that work just fine too.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/3/20 6:49 p.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/my-50-diy-sim-rig-build/57426/page1/

Here's my cheapie version from many moons ago, unfortunately all of the pictures have went the way of photo bucket but I think there's enough of a description to get the gist of what I was able to do on short money.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/3/20 7:43 p.m.

Good post. My son built a gaming computer this winter, and I was thinking about a sim rig.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
3/4/20 10:01 a.m.

Right after I posted this, someone on one of the iracing facebook pages posted up a few shots of a rig they just bought second hand. Super nice 80/20 setup. I'll go back and find the pictures to post. I would love to go the 80/20 route but that stuff ain't cheap. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/4/20 11:12 a.m.

I built mine out of MDF and a couple of 2x4's, it's not fancy (or square, whoops) but it puts me in a driving position very similar to my Subaru or old BMW. I was even able to mount my Thrustmaster T3PA pedals inverted which is a big improvement and much more realistic to what I actually drive.  Down the road when I move to a direct drive wheel I'll either need to build something new or stiffen it up but it handles my T300 just fine.

I'll snap a few pictures tonight just to give you some ideas on what is possible for not a lot of money.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
3/4/20 11:35 a.m.

I actually bought a stand off of ebay last year, my logitech stuff bolts right to it, it's surprisingly solid 

That plus a spare bucket seat, two strips of metal to attach seat to rest of rig, and some spare foam mats to elevate the seat, solid setup for around 80 bucks plus the seat.  

Could be done more cheaply as a DIY but this took zero effort on my part other than 15 minutes of assembly.

adam525i
3/4/20 4:30 p.m.

Here are some pictures of my setup. Before I was running VR I just used the 29" ultrawide LG monitor on an adjustable amazon mount but I haven't since, a smaller monitor would work better with the fan now (a must for VR) and my non existent cable management could be improved. I modified the throttle pedal with an extra hole so it hangs a bit lower in a more natural position. The seat is a manual comfort seat from an E28, BMW seats (at least up to an E46, maybe later) are easy as they mount flat. When I need to move the rig I pull the seat, wheel, monitor and shifter off, stand it up on end and lift by the handles I cut out.

I'm pretty sure that was one 4' x 8' piece of mdf and a 10 ft long 2"x4" plus hardware to do everything. 

Looks like I need to vacuum...

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
3/5/20 8:06 a.m.

Right now I just have a nice Racing/Gaming Chair and my desk.  I don't have a separate room for my computer so it is in the main area of my house.  When I get the room in the future then i will be making a rig.  For the moment I like seeing what others do.  Great looking setup Adam.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
3/5/20 11:00 a.m.
adam525i said:

Here are some pictures of my setup. Before I was running VR I just used the 29" ultrawide LG monitor on an adjustable amazon mount but I haven't since, a smaller monitor would work better with the fan now (a must for VR) and my non existent cable management could be improved. I modified the throttle pedal with an extra hole so it hangs a bit lower in a more natural position. The seat is a manual comfort seat from an E28, BMW seats (at least up to an E46, maybe later) are easy as they mount flat. When I need to move the rig I pull the seat, wheel, monitor and shifter off, stand it up on end and lift by the handles I cut out.

I'm pretty sure that was one 4' x 8' piece of mdf and a 10 ft long 2"x4" plus hardware to do everything. 

Looks like I need to vacuum...

Thats exactly what I'm looking to do minus the VR part. I just can't do VR I get nauseous way to easily. I haven't found a headset yet that doesn't make me want to vom after 5 minutes. I hate it because the flight sim job I used to have had some really trick stuff. 

adam525i
3/5/20 2:06 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

I started in VR with IRacing and could handle an hour plus right away no problems. Dirt Rally 2.0 I almost returned to the steam store as it made me nauseous almost right away, I'm now to the point where I'm fine for about an hour before I need to take a break which is fine. That monitor stand let me get the monitor right up behind the steering wheel to get it close and a wider FOV - Amazon stand.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/5/20 2:09 p.m.

Old

New

I'm strongly considering moving to a playseat challenge & a monitor arm that can extend out pretty far (any recommendations for one that will support a 35"??).  Having to disconnect all this garbage to sit down and play other games, especially when Doom Eternal is about to come out, is not acceptable.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/7/20 7:29 a.m.

I'm rocking a $40 card table and chair currently. It works but isn't the most comfortable. 

I've debated upgrading to a video game chair like this, and then adding some 2x4s to mount the wheel and pedals. 

iborg
iborg New Reader
3/15/20 7:59 p.m.

I know this is against the build it theme but have you looked for a used second hand one? I've seen complete sims minus console or computer for a coulple of hundred. I picked up an Open Wheeler sim that I don't think had been used for $20 on Shopgoodwill.com. Not the world's best sim but without a doubt the best $20 rig.

chada75
chada75 Reader
3/16/20 7:53 p.m.

An old kart chassis with Three Screens?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/16/20 9:45 p.m.

I've been using a playseat challenge for ~ a week now.  

I would advise most people to just go ahead and get one.  Its the right tool for the job, even if you don't need your setup to fold up/stow easily.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/18/20 7:02 a.m.
BradLTL said:

I'm rocking a $40 card table and chair currently. It works but isn't the most comfortable. 

I've debated upgrading to a video game chair like this, and then adding some 2x4s to mount the wheel and pedals. 

That's a total flashback to my early teens. Mom bought one. Kinda comfy in shape, but the balance is strange, so right around the point where you lean back and relax, the chair rolls you on your back. So, it's either hold yourself slightly off the seat back and build those abs, or pretend you're an astronaut ready for takeoff. If you could chock it, it'd be great. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/18/20 7:55 a.m.

I built mine out of leftover wood scraps I had in my pile and one of the old seats I took out of my Mini. The only expense for me was I bought 4 wheels for it and a screen.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XclIQhNs2N9e50a0ZMhm9KEaRFPpIPM80YEEoqJ3tVRvtR4PJGwyGH9emkDOmMMP