asoduk
asoduk HalfDork
12/18/16 9:20 p.m.

Forza was the only reason I had my 360. I would like to get back into it, but don't really want to buy an Xbox 1. I was able to play the first few levels, but on the Rio track with hyper cars my PC couldn't keep up.

I have an older "gaming PC"... AMD A8, 8GB RAM, and a 750GTX 1GB video card. It played my previous casual games very well, but after downloading Forza 6 Apex I've run into a wall. When I stared it up it told me that I was low on video memory. I started looking at graphics cards and it seems like the best bang for the buck is the Radeon RX 480 with 8GB @ about $250. I've never spent that much on a video card, so I'm kind of wondering if anyone has any experience there. I'm also wondering if this is a dark hole that will lead me into a new motherboard/processor/RAM.

If it was $150, it wouldn't be a question, but since the XBOX 1 is $250 as well I'm wondering if that's actually the smarter buy since we know the game will run great on it. I'm a casual gamer, so I like casual games. My current games I play are: BroForce, Mother Russia Bleeds, and I have some interest in Farming Simulator 2017 and GTA5. My PC is hooked to a 720P plasma in my basement and I use an Xbox 360 controller. I also have both wheels for the 360 that surprisingly work in Windows 10. I tried iRacing last month, but found that it was just too much for me (too much time in setup and practice and then too hard to dedicate time on a weekly basis for any real racing)

I used to love the Gran Turismo series for PS1/PS2 but the PS3 version didn't get my attention enough to stay with the Sony consoles. While I kind of feel like the Xbox 1 is the best for my needs, I still have some resentment over my 1st 360 that got the red ring 1 week after the warranty expired. Mostly irrelevant, but the current PC is also used for Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix and Kodi.

What to do? $250 video card? XB1? PS4?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/16 9:29 p.m.

While I currently have a desire to build a new gaming PC, in your case, the One will probably do the trick. It has Prime, Netflix, and a whole crapload of other apps built in as well.

I haven't been hearing of any problems from the normal Ones, the S are probably a little new to tell, but they've definitely solved the problems from the 360.

If you are going to buy, make sure you check the microsoft store and ads. Should be able to get 1 or 2 games and a controller included right now.

One thing of note with the One, budget for a bigger harddrive or spring for the 1TB model. 500 gigs is a berkeleying joke when games are 35-60gb each.

Realistically, you could get away with a new video card, but you might need to upgrade your power supply to support it. And if you're doing that, a more efficient board, oh look 32gb of ram for under $60 on sale?, an ssd would really make this fly... It's just a rabbit hole while the console will at least play games made for it for the next couple years. Until Project Scorpio anyway.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/18/16 9:57 p.m.

Pc users are still complaining about frame rate drops and E36 M3ty resource use. Spend the 250 on an xbox. Serves as a solid media platform, seems to be solid (having rrod'Ed 2 360s myself) and if you have xbl, there's a E36 M3pile of free games to be had. not to mention, the funnest grou0 of grm racers you can have! Me, Rico, Kris, sbf, and so on. Example, im currently using a rolls Royse dawn on 24s with studded snow tires to take down hill climbs. Because I can. Top down, pinky out!

failboat
failboat UberDork
12/19/16 4:05 a.m.

After dropping $380 on a fanatec setup that works on PC, 360, and ps3, I am still kind of pissed its not compatible with next gen.

After a few years of being out of the loop on hot new games, I'm in the midst of a $900 PC build at the moment. So I can continue to use the wheel I already own instead of having to buy ANOTHER one. They aren't exactly cheap but neither is what I'm doing.

I will admit user made mods for games was also a huge deciding factor. I could get most of the games I wanted on a next gen console, but not the mods.

asoduk
asoduk HalfDork
12/21/16 10:39 a.m.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a video card. Under $200 for an RX480 4GB OC edition from MSI. It worked like a charm and F6 apex is beautiful! Unfortunately, its short. I'm now thinking either GTA5, Project Cars, or Forza Horizon next.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5ZpypKa5ozMdzlKXQzrnUZS8NKtbG3en3PcpmxXc8v82c1K52uyDtHsMFR2QagRh