1 2 3 4 5 ... 38
kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
12/5/13 11:42 a.m.

For those of us who have to "wait 'til Christmas", updates re: the track creator would be appreciated.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
12/5/13 12:39 p.m.

Wait 'til Christmas? I'm upset I have to wait 'til Game Stop opens! No midnight release like they did for Skyrim...

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
12/5/13 12:57 p.m.

You can download it now if you want. You have to wait until Friday to activate it though.

I think the Track Creator may not be available on launch anyway, so you may not miss out on any of that Kazoo.

There is already an update available... 1.2 gig download... be prepared.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
12/5/13 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

I called GS yesterday to see if I could pick up my copy on the way to work tomorrow, and the sales guy goes, "Oh, you're the racing game guy!" since I'm the ONLY pre-order they have for GT6.

People will line up around the block for GTA, Madden, and CoD, but racing games just aren't doing it anymore.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
12/5/13 2:21 p.m.

Yeah I figured it's not going to be as popular. I guess in all honesty I didn't even check if there's a midnight release, I guess I could get desperate and go to WalMart at midnight and pick up the copy, but that's a bit excessive when I could just wait another 9 hours.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
12/5/13 2:29 p.m.

I know this is a GT6 thread, but...

I picked up a PS3 on Black Friday, but I promised not to open it until Christmas morning. I picked up GT5: XL Edition for it for like $9 on Amazon to go with it.

Am I setting myself up for disappointment? I had been a GT fan through the release of GT4, but then I got an Xbox (and later a 360) and liked the Forza games better. Forza 4 is far and away the best console racer that I've played. I have the PSP GT game, and it was a huge letdown.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Reader
12/5/13 2:37 p.m.

$60 for a new game is a bit steep for me I will wait wait for a used copy or when the prices goes down. I am sure the graphics will be great but I liked the driving experience of GTR3, RACE 07, and Rfactor better. I hope it is a better driver feel.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
12/5/13 2:49 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

I couldn't say, I've never had an Xbox so I've never played any Forza games. I would say, though, calling GT for PSP a huge letdown is quite an understatement.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
12/5/13 3:16 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet: Not sure if its still available, but there was a GT6 demo you could download for free on Playstation Network. My understanding is it used the physics/tire engine from GT6. I'd say drive them back to back. If you haven't exhausted GT5, it will probably keep you happy for a LONG time. If you drive GT6 and simply must have that physics engine (it is better, IMHO, how much better is a matter of impression), spring for the $60 game and peddle GT5 at your next garage sale.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
12/5/13 3:17 p.m.

I have heard they are pretty similar driving dynamics wise. I think GT is a bit deeper in terms of cars and some secondary game aspects. GT is definitely more world focused with heavy Japanese influence (I hope you like GTR's there are a LOT of them in the game), the tracks are also more world focused.

My suggestion, and what I find the most enjoyable: Stick to pure stock cars as much as you can. They drive much more like real cars then when they get modified (ESPECIALLY if you are using a wheel). The game can get really wonky when you start messing around with the suspensions too much and adding really sticky tires. (e.g. the MX5 Touring car is almost impossible to setup for oversteer with RS tires! )

Also be aware (as I am sure it is with Forza), the tires are heavily "cheated" towards sticky. A real race tire is more like a Race Hard tire and a real Sport Tire is more a Sport Hard tire. You can see this by what tires come with cars stock (most sports cars are on Sport Hards).

One thing I find enjoyable to do is to compete in the Seasonal Events (where all the money is) in pure stock / unmodified cars. Makes in more interesting / challenging (all the AI cars are unmodified BTW).

Online should be interesting after GT6 comes out. You will probably get a bit less of a "hard core" crowd. Look for Shuffle Races online, those can be pretty fun / interesting.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
12/6/13 12:00 a.m.

First review is up (one hour first run through really). You can clearly see the new suspension dynamics and the Used Lot is gone. They mention being able to race mod any car and qualifying and drift events have been added for custom races. Menus seem a lot faster all cars are now premium (high resolution)

They do show the Miata cone challenge and the stadium shown above totally empty, so maybe more hope for custom AutoX / cone tracks. I did not see any sign of the custom track builder yet (as expected).

No levels or experience points, but you do have to collect "stars" to advance in the career mode.

http://youtu.be/HqCuhDD708A

failboat
failboat SuperDork
12/6/13 6:42 a.m.

ill be trolling the gtplanet forums all day looking for screenshots from players. they are starting to trickle in.

I cannot get over the pizza cutter tires on some cars. but damn the game is looking as good as ever. I am a huge forza fan but always thought GT had the edge as far as looking more realistic visually.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/6/13 10:22 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I know this is a GT6 thread, but... I picked up a PS3 on Black Friday, but I promised not to open it until Christmas morning. I picked up GT5: XL Edition for it for like $9 on Amazon to go with it. Am I setting myself up for disappointment? I had been a GT fan through the release of GT4, but then I got an Xbox (and later a 360) and liked the Forza games better. Forza 4 is far and away the best console racer that I've played. I have the PSP GT game, and it was a huge letdown.

Its a wash, you'll miss some things and realize certain others were awesome. I miss the used car dealerships and the MS6 from the GT series, I never liked the whole "you must level up" BS

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
12/6/13 10:38 a.m.
yamaha wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: I know this is a GT6 thread, but... I picked up a PS3 on Black Friday, but I promised not to open it until Christmas morning. I picked up GT5: XL Edition for it for like $9 on Amazon to go with it. Am I setting myself up for disappointment? I had been a GT fan through the release of GT4, but then I got an Xbox (and later a 360) and liked the Forza games better. Forza 4 is far and away the best console racer that I've played. I have the PSP GT game, and it was a huge letdown.
Its a wash, you'll miss some things and realize certain others were awesome. I miss the used car dealerships and the MS6 from the GT series, I never liked the whole "you must level up" BS

Yeah, I certainly missed all the weird Japanese used cars from GT4 once I started playing the Forza games. I'm a collector by nature, so it was fun to buy all the obscure cars offered out there.

I like leveling up in Forza, especially Forza 4, because you get cars and credits out of it. It motivates me to continue playing the game.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/6/13 10:47 a.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

I never noticed leveling......that was probably due to the fact I made my money from the auction house.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
12/6/13 10:58 a.m.

I really liked the used wheel shop on GT4 too. It sounds like it was gone for GT5.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
12/6/13 12:43 p.m.

got my copy, just need to install and update.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
12/6/13 12:49 p.m.

Ok, my only complaint so far is the hand holding at the beginning and taking away my poor first choices from me. Makes you buy a Fit first thing.

Now, at least, I have my ugly LanTabo.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
12/6/13 12:52 p.m.
failboat wrote: I really liked the used wheel shop on GT4 too. It sounds like it was gone for GT5.

YES! I loved that as well. Hopefully GT6 has more wheel choices.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
12/6/13 12:54 p.m.

Also, Steelies on everything.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/6/13 12:58 p.m.

Oh, here is the GT6 thread.

Spoolpigeon wrote: I really hope they clear up the user interface and make it easier to go from event to event.

I just read this, and it sounds awesome:

The prolonged loading times seen in the last game have been massively cut down, menus are easier to navigate, and the transitions between option screens are now much faster.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/12/gran-turismo-6-the-empire-strikes-back/2/

However, this scares the E36 M3 out of me:

The bad news is that the re-balancing isn't quite as successful as we would have hoped. 1080p performance is far more variable compared to Gran Turismo 5, with smoothness visibly compromised by slowdown and judder
However, the flipside of this is that the fluidity of the experience is definitely compromised - if the engine fails to render a frame in time for the beginning of the display's vertical refresh, the update effectively stalls for anything up to 16ms until the screen refreshes again. At 720p resolution, this doesn't happen quite so often but in 1080p mode, it happens a lot, resulting in very noticeable, distracting judder.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gt6-demo-vs-gt5

I think its the PC gamer in me, but I would much rather sacrifice visual quality/effects for quicker load times, menus, etc. Any slowdown during gameplay to preserve visuals is not acceptable.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
12/6/13 1:55 p.m.

Installing right now, fingers crossed

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
12/6/13 1:58 p.m.

I like the new physics. I'm surprised the B licence has less tests than usual, and is unusually easy.

One thing I LOVE is you now get to pick the color of the cars you win.

One thing I don't like is that you can't just do all the licence tests up front.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
12/6/13 2:01 p.m.

Picked it up at lunchtime today, but I'm giving it to my wife to give me for Christmas, so I probably won't bust the shrinkwrap for a couple weeks.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
12/6/13 3:05 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote:
failboat wrote: I really liked the used wheel shop on GT4 too. It sounds like it was gone for GT5.
YES! I loved that as well. Hopefully GT6 has more wheel choices.

from what I have seen (comments on gtp) there are new wheels added to the game.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 38

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P2myuOWI1BZJduXDiCHPQeeGV6OqLZkIdD06dAG9XTeh78L5It7iHn7Y0VNE75vJ