T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/11/20 3:17 p.m.

So, GT7 and PS5. Discuss.

Depending on the price of the PS5, I may just buy a gaming PC instead to not be limited to console games. I heard the official Sony announcement came out today, but I haven't watched it or read about it yet.

Discuss.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/11/20 3:18 p.m.
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/11/20 3:21 p.m.

GT7 graphics look good and they showed Trial Mountain in the trailer.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/11/20 3:34 p.m.

The ps5 looks to be an interesting machine to be sure. My problem is, Sony seems to be straying further and further from a useable gaming experience. I've owned every sony console since the ps1, with the exception of the ps4. I haven't found a reason to own one yet. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/20 7:51 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

What does "useable gaming experience" mean?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/11/20 7:52 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

At least to me, the UI on a PS4 is clunky, at best- and I really don't like the whole touch pad integration on a controller that already feels too small. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/20 7:58 p.m.

Gotcha.  They really haven't done much for really improving UX on it for sure. There's nothing worse than trying to find the one setting you need. Hopefully they'll give it an overhaul.

failboat (Forum Supporter)
failboat (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/21/20 7:54 p.m.

Fwiw, all the latest Forza games are cross platform between Xbox and pc, and you don't have to pay for Xbox live subscription on pc.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/20 12:35 p.m.

I saw a review of this last night and it looks to me to be the most promising of all the car games/sims that is in the pipeline. It even looks like the used car lot may be back!!!!   We can only hope that gifting cars will be a thing!!!  

This could unify what is now a very fragmented car sim online community if they are doing what looks to be getting back to what made it so much fun. 

Vajingo
Vajingo New Reader
9/18/20 1:12 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I saw a review of this last night and it looks to me to be the most promising of all the car games/sims that is in the pipeline. It even looks like the used car lot may be back!!!!   We can only hope that gifting cars will be a thing!!!  

This could unify what is now a very fragmented car sim online community if they are doing what looks to be getting back to what made it so much fun. 

I hope you are prepared for the worst online gaming experience of all time. I gave Gran Turismo sport a full year of online racing. After that, I was so disillusioned with my favorite video game of all time that I sold my PS4 and I'll games, and use the money to build my own PC. Iracing is not much better, but at least they do police it. 

I hope GT will sort it out. It started to get really bad on Gran Turismo online lobbies. People figured out that they could give you a penalty if they brake check to you before going into a corner. So you could be following along cleanly, getting ready to pass, and all they have to do is slam on their brakes before the braking zone. And there you go, you just got a 10 second stop and go penalty and your rating just went down. Some of the top drivers learned how to bump into cars and spin them out without even getting a penalty. And then there are some people that figured out how much of the track limits they can abuse and go absurdly off course without any penalty at all. 
great game that was missing all of the cars, no tuning, and a HORRID penalty system. 

dean1484
9/18/20 4:11 p.m.
Vajingo said:
dean1484 said:

I hope you are prepared for the worst online gaming experience of all time. I gave Gran Turismo sport a full year of online racing. After that, I was so disillusioned with my favorite video game of all time that I sold my PS4 and I'll games, and use the money to build my own PC. Iracing is not much better, but at least they do police it. 

I hope GT will sort it out. It started to get really bad on Gran Turismo online lobbies. People figured out that they could give you a penalty if they brake check to you before going into a corner. So you could be following along cleanly, getting ready to pass, and all they have to do is slam on their brakes before the braking zone. And there you go, you just got a 10 second stop and go penalty and your rating just went down. Some of the top drivers learned how to bump into cars and spin them out without even getting a penalty. And then there are some people that figured out how much of the track limits they can abuse and go absurdly off course without any penalty at all. 
great game that was missing all of the cars, no tuning, and a HORRID penalty system. 

What does any of that have to do with GT7?  GT Sport sucked. GT6 was fun but I really only practiced and raced with a group of 20 or so people so the crap you see in open public rooms was not there. GT5 was by far my favorite. To me the used car lot and gifting cars and the various other quirks it had made it fun. Granted the physics were not the absolute best but they were very playable.  

My general opinion of online anything in public servers generally sucks. Why racing with the same group every week is so much better.  

Oh and the ban hammer in GT6 and GT5 was nice. No voting. Your basic dictatorship at work. The whole voting to ban in some games sucks. 

Vajingo
Vajingo New Reader
9/18/20 9:28 p.m.

Hey, like I said, it WAS my favorite game. I hope they can turn it around. I was just so disappointed with GTS that I can't see how they can fix it for gt7. The online experience was ruined. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/19/20 5:38 p.m.

The GTS and PC3 trend was to dumb down the games. Hopefully that trend is over.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/26/20 12:36 p.m.

I was watching a video on how the Trail Mountain course has changed though the series (gone in the current one, returning in the next) and it made me realize what I really liked about GT in the past.

It was very focused on street cars.  A race car in the early versions where very uncommon.

The current gen has LOT more race cars then the past.  Because of that focus, it effectively makes the street cars less interesting.  One of the aspects the is pretty much required to make street car racing interesting is being able to modify them (to equalize the cars).  The return of tuning in the new game brings some promise.

There are plenty of sims/games that are all race cars or have a very large selection.  Nothing wrong with race cars, and racing, but having a bunch of modified street cars from various eras makes for some rather cool races.

Heck, I would forgive some less then perfect sim driving experience for more of what made the old one fun....

.... just reminiscing a bit....

If they can bring this back, that could inspire me to go to PS5 / GT (I cringe though that I might need another wheel).

dean1484
9/27/20 11:12 a.m.

Ohh I am with you Air. Just seeing those photos. The Beetle races with nitros. That was an epic series. One of the most fun ones we ever had. Beetles on dirt (your photo). That was so much fun. 

dean1484
9/27/20 11:41 a.m.

Oh. I am thinking of upgrading to a Fanatec so I could make you a deal on my G29.  I don't want to spend the $$$ but it has become obvious to me that I have probably maxed out my ability's on my G29. Sauce and I have had some discussions about this and I have been doing some homework on wheels and the consensus is that the Fanatec wheels give you more and better feedback allowing you become a better sim driver. 

dean1484
9/27/20 11:43 a.m.

I use to be able to keep up with sauce and TJ and in both cases once they changed to the Fanatec wheels they both have gotten better. 

dean1484
9/27/20 11:47 a.m.

Actually another thing I just thaught of is that if GT7 is less realistic in the driving model the advantage that the Fanatec wheel seems to have may not be there as the data points it uses may not be in the game. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/28/20 12:04 p.m.

That is likely true, but the Fanatec is also very internally adjustable, so you can do a lot more with what is there.  Also, consider you are unlikely to completely abandon other game (e.g. Assetto Corsa) where the advanced models are used.  There also of course is the future.  New sims will likely still come out that take advantage of the precision and these wheels seem to be super durable and supported, so you will be unlikely to need to buy another one.

P.S. this post is in no way motivated by my want of a cheap wheel upgrade laugh

To add to the P.S.  Your wheel is not a huge upgrade for me since mine already has the better sensor wheel in it.  The only improvement is the better buttons.  Heck, I would need to buy a new shifter (using the shifter in the sim games adds a LOT to the driving fun)

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/28/20 1:53 p.m.

Come a long way since Hard Drivin

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7P1HxyJ6ZGZyKQOQOpAMtaGT1GFIFZAJzApsAVwQ4aLbpeneEEz0BAb8aXZzoxYp