Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/18 7:00 p.m.

Kicking off this thread for Brad.

Changeable weather, accelerated time progression, and maximum size field size (32?) would be givens as well as multi-class racing.

The car options may depend on the upcoming Le Mans DLC.   Without it, the best options may be LMP2 with GTE.  The humans in LMP2.

With the DLC a vintage event with Vintage Prototype A and Vintage Touring on the 1971 track might be a fun option.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/1/18 7:52 p.m.

Max field size is 16 on consoles, 32 on PC I think. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/18 7:54 p.m.

Only 16 cars are available on consoles. 

I was planning on LMP1 and GTE classes being available. 

Time change will be set to (as close as possible) make the 24 hour cycle for the 2.4 hours. 

Weather conditions TBD

As far as schedule, I’m leaning towards 6/23 with a early evening start.

Thoughts?

Argo1
6/1/18 7:55 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I was able to run a practice race at Le Mans with a field of 32.  Not sure if that changes online.

Argo1
6/1/18 8:05 p.m.

The only issue with LMP1 is that the 'fantasy' cars are faster and it is complex to drive the hybrids at the limit.  LMP2 cars are more equal.

What about a practice and test session on the 13th.  Then race on the 20th (no practice or qual).  Let the system grid the race.  9pm to 11:40pm EST race.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/1/18 8:21 p.m.

I think there is a time progrssion setting of 10x that should make a 24 hr cycle in 2.4 hr. 

LMP2 and GTE sounds good to me. 

BradLTL
6/2/18 7:52 a.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

Then drive a GTE car. 

I am waiting on the DLC to be fully official before committing. I want to drive a 919. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/2/18 12:18 p.m.

You might want to also consider setting up teams.  Depending on who can make it, match fastest with slowest then work to the middle.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/18 1:05 p.m.

Ok Air I will be on your team and you can drive the slow car wink

Argo1
6/2/18 8:20 p.m.

We need to recruit some of those who have been absent recently.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/6/18 12:08 a.m.

Both the vintage Le Mans cars and the 2016 cars are a lot of fun to drive.  We will see what Brad chooses.  Vintage Prototype A with Vintage Group B or LMP1 2016 with GTE.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/6/18 12:42 a.m.

I checked today and I am not seeing the DLC anywhere on the PS4,  Where did you find it?

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
6/6/18 6:43 a.m.

Ooh. I can be one of the Ferraris that kept crashing everyone out for a few years.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/6/18 8:53 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Search for it on the Playstation store.  If you have the season pass, it won't charge you.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/12/18 9:33 a.m.

Another timely video from Yorkie for those of us who have not played with the hybrid LMP1 cars yet.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/12/18 3:02 p.m.

Have we settled on which version of the track, what cars and the date/time?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/12/18 5:34 p.m.

I did a lap in the new Toyota LMP1 car and I liked it. Getting used to using the KERS will take some practice, but it makes a noticeable  difference under acceleration. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/12/18 5:35 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Lol. Yeah gentleman drivers in Ferraris....

Hope you can make it. We are going to start a new season shortly as well if you are interested. 

BradLTL
6/13/18 11:23 a.m.

Ok, we're going back to 2016... here's what I have:

• Timed race, 2:25
  • Time progression 10x
  • Date: 6/17/2016
  • Start Time: 12:00
  • Weather (4 slots): Heavy Clouds, Light Rain, Medium Clouds, Light Clouds
  • Allowable Car classes: LMP2016, GTE
  • Damage: Visual Only
  • (Modern) LeMans full track
  • No duplicate cars (so you'll need to register your choice)
  • 2 sessions: Extended Qualifying (~45 minutes) and Race.  
  • Tentatively thinking Sunday 6/24, starting at 7:45 ET... need thoughts on this one

I did a full sample race (bots only) to see what it would be like.  A few things I noticed: 

1. The Audi (LM) and 919 are very evenly matched and put on a great show
  2. The GTE cars don't really seem to get out of the way very well and looked pretty twitchy
  3. Even though there was only a short rain storm in 2016, because I only have 4 weather slots we will get about 37 minutes of light rain
  4. It took about 20 minutes before the LMP cars caught the GTE cars
  5. The 919 pitted first
  6. The LMP cars run about 3:29 laps at race pace (AI set to 90)
  7. The R18 is surprisingly frugal on gas, using ~4.5L per lap
  8. The rain is a lot more progressive.  It sprinkles for 10-15 minutes before the rain becomes any kind of factor.
  9. LMP lap times slowed about 35-45 seconds in the wet
  10. The game looks amazing in the wet at night with the lights reflecting off the road
  11. Wet tires on a dry track are a disadvantage
  12. The bots don't really use any strategy, they seem to pit based on triggers: low fuel, track conditions, or both.  Then based on that they leave on the next stint.  For example, about midway through a fuel stint, a car pitted to change tires only then pitted again in a few laps to add fuel.
  13. Sunrise is gorgeous
  14. The live track effects of the drying track are impressive, dry in the light and still a bit wet in the shadows.
  15. There is drafting on Mulsanne, you can make up about 1 sec between chicanes.
  16. If you choose a GTE... pay attention to blue flags
  17. Looking at about 37-39 laps for that time.
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/13/18 3:33 p.m.

By no duplicate cars, does that count the different liveries? Meaning can there be a #7 toyota and a #8 toyota? (I think those are their numbers, but you get the idea)

BatsonWorkshop
BatsonWorkshop New Reader
6/14/18 10:47 a.m.

I'd like to partake in this race (date dependent). Getting ready for my wedding in 2 weeks and have a ton of house work to finish before we have people over. 

If its at night I will likely be free. I will probably do terrible as a 30 minute race is to long for my terrible ADD attention span so over 2 hours might be disastrous but ill still try. 

Has a verdict been made on what class cars we will be running?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/14/18 11:26 a.m.

2016 LMP1 or GTE. See Brad's post above. 

BatsonWorkshop
6/14/18 11:38 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

yes the way the first sentence was worded wasnt sure if that was a previous race setup or the current that we are using. Now to pick a car indecision

BatsonWorkshop
6/14/18 11:45 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

I'd be in for 6/24 at 7:45 

BradLTL
6/14/18 4:50 p.m.

Started a new thread so the race info will be in the first post... please go to here:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/simulation-central/project-cars2-24-heures-du-mans-presented-by-grm/140566/page1/

/thread

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CchSjOQcdXqdPrQJaOfWr76g3kf9UQ9ndBQ3vcxzyXMhF97HnDMmQEfyi3I7DOfv