• Indianapolis Road Course
  • Full Motegi Road course
  • Laguna Seca
  • Ascari
  • Monza
  • Eiger Mountain
  • Circuit de la Sarthe
  • Tokyo

NOTE I am not promoting them just providing a list. I like the idea of running the following.

• Ascari
  • Spa
  • Deep Forest Reverse
  • Apricot Hill Reverse
  • Monza 80's
  • London or Cote d'Azur
  • Tokyo
  • Some Materhorn
  • Trial Mountain
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/27/15 11:37 a.m.

Also:

• High Speed Ring - reverse
  • Apricot Hill - reverse
  • Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s
  • Brands Hatch (80's)
  • Circuito de la Sierra(!)
  • Streets at Willow(!!!!!)
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/27/15 11:39 a.m.

Someone needs to see how long it takes to get the Bug or the Supra around Circuito de la Sierra.... no reason... just curious...

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
1/27/15 11:43 a.m.
aircooled wrote: Also: - High Speed Ring - reverse - Apricot Hill - reverse - Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s - Brands Hatch (80's) - Circuito de la Sierra(!) - Streets at Willow(!!!!!)

See my edited post

Yes I forgot about street at willow. I call it the suicide-ring. Hate it but keep trying to master it in futility.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
1/27/15 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Advan046:

My only concern with London or Monaco is how difficult it is to pass at those tracks. To have any sort of chance you need a mistake from the person in front of you and/or to shove your nose in. They are both fun and challenging, but I don't know if it will actually be good for racing.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/27/15 12:07 p.m.

Unloved tracks sounds like a great challenge.

• 1 lap of Sierra
  • 1-2 lapper at the ring
  • Ascari
  • Monaco
  • Le Sarthe
  • Rally/snow course of some kind
  • Cape ring
  • Matterhorn
  • Indy road course
  • Daytona road course or oval
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/27/15 3:14 p.m.

I am not really looking for bad tracks, just ones that we don't normally run and might be OK. We don't have to do ALL of them either. I am thinking Monaco might be the street course to run since it is so iconic. Horrible track for passing though. Probably actually be OK with the bugs. Combine the narrow track, with the walls... argh. An interesting thought though, with the mics, maybe try allowing out braking, just for that course (not mic people would have to use their horns?).

Throw in a rally / snow course... interesting. Not sure you can even equip an HSV or Corvette with rally or snow tires though.

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
1/27/15 5:00 p.m.

How many of you breezed right through the 24 min. of Daytona? How many of you found it to be difficult? The AI penalty system is NOT fair. I guess that's why the instructions tell us "do not make any mistakes". I had to run it about 7 times but finally got it a couple of hrs. ago.

I can't say I didn't enjoy the challenge though. What allowed me to win was finding a balance with TC and ABS to keep tires on the car long enough to make it a 2 stop race and at the same time didn't slow the car excessively. I bring this up because it inspired an idea. I think it might make a PC (prototype challenge) race feasible if we put a pp limit on the cars but allow any and all aids. The tuner series would be the 24 min. of ?? (Or however many minutes forces Air to make two stops.)I'd suggest run the races on as many tracks as possible that actually had 24 hr. races on them. Daytona, Lemans, Nurburgring, Monza, Spa, etc. The non tuner race of the series would be an eduro GT that can be painted and numbered that must be as delivered with the exception of trans. adjustment and brake balance.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
1/27/15 10:20 p.m.

I like the ideas Grae. However, I will defer to the group choices since I will only make some of the races.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
1/27/15 11:15 p.m.

My track choices would be (in no particular order):

• Ascari
  • Laguna Seca
  • Trial Mountain
  • Tokyo R246
  • SS Route 5
  • Spa
  • Monza (80s or otherwise)
  • Brands Hatch
  • Apricot Hill Reverse
  • Matterhorn
Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
1/28/15 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Graefin10:

Haven't tried the Daytona 24 minute race yet. I suspect with the combined fact that I have maybe driven a prototype car in maybe 3 races in the game and I am prone to big errors into Turn 1 that it would require a few hours to complete.

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
1/28/15 11:59 a.m.
Argo1 wrote: I like the ideas Grae. However, I will defer to the group choices since I will only make some of the races.

I like them as well. Couple things. you can only do 10, 20 or 30 min races The game does nto let you set them to the minute.

I am all in favor of doing some or all of your idears but we just did a bunch of timed races and I would like to get back to the normal format at least for now. The issue Is that I can not mix and match a times race with fixed distance races in the same room. To do that I would have to set up a new room between the races. Not a deal breaker but a PITA for the people racing.

mrmudd583
mrmudd583 New Reader
1/28/15 1:47 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Someone needs to see how long it takes to get the Bug or the Supra around Circuito de la Sierra.... no reason... just curious...

11.27.775 in the bug with a few mistakes/ spins 10.20.565 in the supra with minor mistakes 8.7.500 in the chaperel 2j , some serious airtime with it

mrmudd583
mrmudd583 New Reader
1/28/15 1:53 p.m.
Graefin10 wrote: How many of you breezed right through the 24 min. of Daytona? How many of you found it to be difficult? The AI penalty system is NOT fair. I guess that's why the instructions tell us "do not make any mistakes". I had to run it about 7 times but finally got it a couple of hrs. ago. I can't say I didn't enjoy the challenge though. What allowed me to win was finding a balance with TC and ABS to keep tires on the car long enough to make it a 2 stop race and at the same time didn't slow the car excessively. I bring this up because it inspired an idea. I think it might make a PC (prototype challenge) race feasible if we put a pp limit on the cars but allow any and all aids. The tuner series would be the 24 min. of ?? (Or however many minutes forces Air to make two stops.)I'd suggest run the races on as many tracks as possible that actually had 24 hr. races on them. Daytona, Lemans, Nurburgring, Monza, Spa, etc. The non tuner race of the series would be an eduro GT that can be painted and numbered that must be as delivered with the exception of trans. adjustment and brake balance.

Took me about 3 hrs to finnaly beat it using the chaperel 2j with 2 pit stops. One of the hardest challenges so far other than those dam go kart races in career mode, man I hate go karts

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
1/28/15 3:21 p.m.

I just don't do the go cart or the drifting challenges. They are just not fun. I got the game for fun not frustration.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
1/28/15 6:05 p.m.

So I did a quick s2k test earlier, and if we do a Spec s2k series there will need to be some tweaks. The AP1 is definitely quicker, and boasts a decent power/weight advantage. This definitely makes my showdown with Spool more challenging.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/28/15 6:21 p.m.

Are we doing an official series start tonight? Or just goofing off.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/28/15 6:42 p.m.

More testing, but we do want to run the run-offs and the s2000 showdown

CAMikaze
CAMikaze Reader
1/28/15 6:57 p.m.

Posting from my smartphone as there is a power outage at my house so I might not be able to make it online until maybe 11 pm EST at the earliest. To make matters worse, I have a 7 am shift scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
1/28/15 6:59 p.m.
Advan046 wrote: In reply to Graefin10: Haven't tried the Daytona 24 minute race yet. I suspect with the combined fact that I have maybe driven a prototype car in maybe 3 races in the game and I am prone to big errors into Turn 1 that it would require a few hours to complete.

For entry to T1 I aim straight for the entrance and let it coast for a very short time then since I use AT tap the brake to bring it down a gear, let up, then another gear and so on. With practice you're ready to turn in at exactly the right time.

To win, stay away from the other cars. The race is set up for them to ruin your attempt. Be extra careful making passes on the banking. They'll move over on you giving you a penalty.

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
1/28/15 7:26 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: I just don't do the go cart or the drifting challenges. They are just not fun. I got the game for fun not frustration.

If I feel decent I can do the karts fairly well but no matter how hard I've tried I can't drift. Grizz is one of the best I've seen.

BTW, I mentioned the idea of racing the PC challenge now so everyone will have time to think about it and perhaps try the idea of using the aids to best advantage to complete the current seasonal race. I'm sure some of you can do it without the aids and should be faster.

I don't know but it could be that PD picked the 691pp no. to allow for use of all Prototype and unlimited "sports cars" such as Can Am cars et. al. As Matt found out, the Chaparral 2J IS one of the fastest I found. The Delta Wing was way to slow. I ended up using my favorite, the Peugeot 905. That's the one I'd use if we ever decide to do the series.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
1/28/15 7:43 p.m.

Sorry guys, I have an interview in the morning and I'm very tired. Looks like Cam is going to miss too, well do the runoffs next time we both can get on.

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
1/28/15 11:39 p.m.

High Speed Ring Rev with the MR2 is a blast!!!!!!

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
1/29/15 10:37 a.m.

For those that missed it, the AP1/AP2 showdown happened last night at Trial Mountain. Though the AP2 was given pole position, it only managed to hold the lead for half a lap. The two remained close with about 1 second between them, but on the last lap in a heroic effort to close the gap the AP2 dropped a wheel off track and spun, which sealed the race for the AP1. In the end, the 5pp advantage of the AP1 in the hands of Spool (on his favorite track no less) proved too much for the AP2 to overcome.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/29/15 10:42 a.m.

Potential Track list:

• Tokyo R246
  • Apricot Hill (reverse)
  • Monza (80's)
  • High Speed Ring (reverse)
  • Ascari
  • Trial Mountain (reverse)
  • Laguna Seca
  • Spa
  • Matterhorn
  • Circuito de la Sierra

Potential variation (opinions needed):

• Sub either Grand Valley (Reverse) or Deep Forest (reverse) for Trial Mountain
  • Côte D'AZUR (Monico) for Matterhorn (more classic, but walls)
  • Which Matterhorn

I want to have one or two "pain in the butt" tracks, but I don't want to make the whole series on "bad" tracks.

I think we should just go with Tokyo for the first week either way (somewhat familiar, but not run a lot). I tried to mix up the less "passy" tracks (e.g. Laguna, Ascari) within the more pass friendly tracks. I think Sierra will be a fun challenge. The ring would be a possibility, but I think it might be silly in the bugs. A possibility is to swap out Matterhorn or Ascari for the ring if it tests to be OK.

Anyone want to try a bug around the ring? (Realistically, we probably should run it in it's homeland if we can).

We should also consider going with high speed / big tracks next time (e.g. Sarthe). We will want to tend towards faster cars of course.

Thoughts?

1 ... 70 71 72 73
Our Preferred Partners
JoYIoLLwCdMHYPOhpLcZybko7IpholGv2dVwnOAMmWGD3cxylOukUHUWtrcind80