Advan046 SuperDork
4/24/15 12:02 a.m.

photo Matterhorn Rotenboden_zpskzkrzvwu.jpg

photo Matterhorn Rotenboden_1_zpsqmijdefs.jpg

photo Matterhorn Rotenboden_2_zpsiag22b1n.jpg

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/24/15 10:01 a.m.

Ahhhh... so Spool wasn't the only one violating the "2 wheels on the track at all times" rule!

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
4/24/15 10:32 a.m.

LOL I wish I had saved that replay

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/24/15 10:47 a.m.

That's freeking great!!!!!!!!

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
4/24/15 10:58 a.m.

Not an Air amount of air, but still impressive! I'm going to have to watch the replay again to get the full effect.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/24/15 11:09 a.m.

You can see my car trying to get traction and starting to step out in that photo. I am starting to go opposite lock with the steering.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
4/24/15 3:22 p.m.

Yeah it was a pretty spectacular crash from the spin to avoid Comp to the air time to the long slide to a stop mid track.

I actually started laughing hard after the hairpin and thus spun two more times that lap!

mrmudd583
mrmudd583 New Reader
4/26/15 11:06 a.m.

What track we running tonight???

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/26/15 1:07 p.m.

Sounds like Dean is going to go with the Sierra track.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/26/15 1:09 p.m.

Here is a video of last Wed Vett race, 2nd race, last lap. I don't have the replay of the first race (the crazy one), so if anyone has that, I am hoping for some shots or videos of the craziness. (I also posted this in the thread in the main section)

https://youtu.be/AWWAltJLAWM

Things to note:

• The cars are twitchy, but you can see the desperation in both of them, Spool trying to catch up and pass on a track that it is super difficult to pass on, and Comp maybe getting a bit intimidated.

• Spool clearly has an extreme ability to recover from slides. This I think is a result of (other then talent) having his wheel set to 180 deg and likely little feed back.

• There is a point where Spool cannot brake and dives under Comp in a turn. He does exactly what you are supposed to do.

• The contact at the very end might be seen as iffy, but Comp messed up, Spool got a run and gave as much room as he could. I can't imagine it made much difference anyway, Spool was clearly going faster at that point (otherwise he never would have gotten next to him in the first place).

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/26/15 1:18 p.m.

Massively intimidated

CAMikaze
CAMikaze Reader
4/26/15 4:37 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Sounds like Dean is going to go with the Sierra track.

If that's the case, it looks like it'll be 1 lap long for each race.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
4/26/15 5:10 p.m.

Arg..... I should be doing yard work and cleaning up my garage but everyone is sucking me back into games.

May have to do updates and spectate tonight then grind some creds and join y'all.

CAMikaze
CAMikaze Reader
4/26/15 9:24 p.m.

UNOFFICIAL RESULTS

Round 10 - Circuito de la Sierra

Sunday Supra SSS

Race 1

1. Sauce
  2. air
  3. CAMi
  4. Mudd
  5. comp
  6. dean

Race 2

1. Sauce
  2. Mudd
  3. CAMi
  4. air
  5. comp
  6. dean

Sunday MR-2 Tuner

Race 1

1. Mudd
  2. Sauce
  3. comp
  4. CAMi
  5. dean
  6. air
  7. keith

Race 2

1. Sauce
  2. Mudd
  3. air
  4. dean
  5. comp
  6. CAMi
  7. keith
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/26/15 10:55 p.m.

That actually worked out better than I thought it would. I actually think the vets are going to be fun now that I have a bit of a clue as to where the track goes.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/26/15 10:58 p.m.

And welcome Keith

I hope you had a good time. That track is not the norm for what we do. Usually we run more normal tracks with more laps.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
4/27/15 8:11 a.m.

So how did qualifying work? I imagine it's too long of a track to do your outlap and a qualifying lap.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
4/27/15 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

We didn't qualify. First starting order was reverse grid based on season points standings, and after that it was the standard reverse grid based on previous race results.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
4/27/15 11:06 a.m.

Did anyone stay in sight of anyone else?

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
4/27/15 11:07 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: That actually worked out better than I thought it would. I actually think the vets are going to be fun now that I have a bit of a clue as to where the track goes.

Good you have been assimilated! Enjoy the track!

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/27/15 11:28 a.m.
Advan046 wrote: Did anyone stay in sight of anyone else?

Actually, yes. It got a little spread out at times but it wasn't too lonely. Boost may not be a terrible idea though.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
4/27/15 11:56 a.m.
Advan046 wrote: Did anyone stay in sight of anyone else?

The first race Air and I finished 0.5 seconds apart, and I think most of the races were decided by only a few seconds.

There can be some slightly lonely running, but the track is so long that I don't think anyone has it completely memorized. As such, everyone makes mistakes which allows gaps to come and go. Running solo isn't uninteresting either because the track is challenging, and you also know that a mistake by someone in front can help you catch up or a mistake by you can let you get caught. It's a tightrope of managing aggression and caution. Pushing too hard on an unfamiliar course can cause off course excursions, but being too cautious will put you behind pace.

I thought I was going to hate racing here but actually really enjoyed it for the reasons above. I think the challenge races being so frustrating due to the AI and phantom penalties never let me really enjoy the course, but running with you guys was a blast.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/27/15 12:40 p.m.

Yup, it was fun. I was chasing Sauce in the Supra race and the "newness" of the track helped. He was being a bit cautious since he didn't know the track entirely and I was just going for it in general. I ALMOST caught him. In the second race, my going for it did not work out so well...

It was a fun interesting change. Essentially the reason we did it. Surprisingly it did not really take that long. Since we didn't do qualifying, we ended up running two races for each class!

Not sure how much we will use the track in the future, but it was a good experiment.

I will try and get the final results up tonight.

CAMikaze
CAMikaze Reader
4/27/15 5:20 p.m.

The post-race Small Bore test session was interesting. Dean and I were running the same Alpine car model, but from different model years. I don't know if the different ways the cars were set up by the drivers can be a factor though. And at least I had a another go at racing the BMW '57 507. I think I might fare better compared to the last season I race with this if I were to go with this car.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/28/15 7:34 a.m.

I am wondering if the kg/hp actually skews things with the small bore cars. we may want to look at a PP limit. The Alpina was at something like 459pp where as my cosmo was only at 440. Both were at the prescribed 4.00kg/hp

1 ... 28 29 30 31 32
Our Preferred Partners
OyuUyK1yu4xqzK8S9tqxaWey2uHLzKzsVuZN6j48LTpwUYNXG8qWUQQvoGs4v0dN