1 2 3 ... 8
e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
6/29/15 11:21 p.m.

The current series thread was getting crowded and somewhat diluted with testing ideas/results mixed in with regular series talk so I figured it was time this had its own thread.

So far the proposed series are:

1. 90's Japanese (full tuner, 450pp, SM tires)
  2. Peugeot 908 SSS series
  3. Spec Miata (425pp, all modifications allowed, SS tires)
  4. $20M car challenge (fun, but not feasible)
  5. Ferrari 430 Scuderia SSS series (550pp, SS tires)
  6. Max Tune GTR Black series (full tuner, any tires, fuel/tire wear)
  7. Shelby Cobra Spec
  8. NASCAR
  9. Honda type-r FF (90's-00's, FWD, car claims for winners)
  10. Ferrari F40 spec
  11. x-bow spec
  12. light car spec
  13. motorsport elise all mods except power allowed
  14. DTM (1990?-2007? 4dr non-race cars, 500pp, race tires, all mods)
  15. 106 rallye spec (300pp?)
  16. tuscan speed 6 touring car spec
  17. Tune what is stock on the car Spec Silvia.
  18. SSS Lotus Evora
  19. Full tuner GT86 Race Car Base Model. I think 500pp?
  20. SSS Scirocco R
  21. Stepped RUF series (start at low PP and work up)

From initial runs it seems like the Spec Miata and Japanese 90's series are popular, but a ton of these have yet to be tested. Please post any opinions, other proposals, testing results, etc.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
6/29/15 11:51 p.m.

Tune what is stock on the car Spec Silvia.

SSS Lotus Evora

Full tuner GT86 Race Car Base Model. I think 500pp?

SSS Scirocco R

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
6/30/15 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Advan046:

I like the Spec Silvia idea, I really liked that car when we ran that fuel and tire series. Do we know if those are paintable?

I don't think I've driven an Evora or the GT86 race car. I know I've driven the Scirocco R but don't really remember it. All around these seem like some viable options.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
6/30/15 10:08 a.m.

I did some more testing for the 90's Japanese cars last night. Right now there's nothing conclusive as to ringers/horribly uncompetitive cars (except the Cappuccino that NW tried the other night), but part of that is the tunes. I've been testing at Trial Mountain, but unfortunately the reason it's my test track is also the reason that the testing is yet inconclusive. It is a track that is very good for showing where suspension tunes are lacking, but when you have rough tunes in a lot of the cars you're almost guaranteed to be leaving time on the table with some.

As of now I have tested 10 cars, 9 of which fall into a ~2.5 second window (1:35's-1:37's). The two fastest cars were already tuned and pretty well dialed in before this testing started. The remaining 7 are within 1.1 seconds which is a pretty good grouping based on rough tunes, but off pace of the dialed in cars. The one outlier is the first car I tested that I knew had a bad tune, but having no baseline yet I left it as it was to get something in the books.

I'm going to keep playing with tunes and get cars dialed in to get a better comparison, and also pick another, higher speed track to see what that does. Also, there are still several cars I haven't gotten around to testing, notably the GTR, S2000, Evo IV, and FD.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/30/15 10:39 a.m.

As a consideration, we don't HAVE to run four different series. We could do a longer single one for one of the days, if that is desired.

Also as a reminder, I will not be around Wednesday so Dean will have to cover.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
6/30/15 12:56 p.m.

Updated the list with Espartan and Anth's suggestions. I think we're good on proposed series at this point...

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
7/1/15 2:19 p.m.

In my opinion I have pretty much finished testing of the 90's Japanese cars for ringers. I ran 18 different cars at Trial Mountain and then a select few at Tokyo for a track comparison. After being tuned and run at two different tracks I haven't found a car that is significantly faster than the rest. Case in point, the 3 cars I'm fastest with are all within 0.085 seconds combined across both tracks, with the top two separated by 0.015

The one catch is that I'm not particularly good with AWD cars, so if anyone wants to run some of those at TM feel free.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/15 4:56 p.m.

Add to your list stepped RUF

dean1484
7/1/15 4:58 p.m.

What 4WD ones do you want tested? I cane make sure to grab them

Do you have a list of the eligible cars toy could post up?

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
7/1/15 5:13 p.m.

Added the stepped RUF series. Below is the list of cars I tested in alphabetical order. There are other year or trim options for a lot of these cars, but seemed to be a good smattering of the available platforms. The only cars missing that probably will be competitive that I didn't test are an earlier NSX and earlier Silvias, but having driven them otherwise I don't really expect either to be ringers.

• 3000GT VR-4(J) '98
  • Civic SiR-II '92
  • Civic Type R '97
  • Fairlady Z 300ZX TT
  • Impreza Sedan STi Version II '95
  • Integra Type R (DC2) '99
  • Lancer Evo GSR '92
  • Lancer Evo IV GSR '96
  • MR2 GT-S '97
  • MX-5 Miata J-limited '91
  • NSX Type S Zero '99
  • RX-7 Type R-S '95
  • S2000 (US) '99
  • Sileighty '98
  • Silvia spec-R Aero '99
  • Skyline GT-R V-spec '94
  • Skyline GTS-t Type M '91
  • Stagea 25t RS Four S '98
e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
7/1/15 5:29 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: What 4WD ones do you want tested? I cane make sure to grab them

The best AWD cars to test will be the Evo (IV will probably be fastest, but the earlier model has a better p/w ratio), Impreza, and GTR (R32, R33, and R34 are all options). The 3000GT is a great driving car but to meet the PP requirement is stuck being almost 1500kg and I don't think any amount of tuning will make it overcome having the worst power to weight ratio of any of the cars I tested.

dean1484
7/1/15 6:20 p.m.

Ok I will see about getting some / all of those with the possible exception of the 3000.

Would a kg/ hp be a possible equalizer or does the tuning negate that and actually result in ringers?

dean1484
7/1/15 11:35 p.m.

A note on the awd cars. They don't seem to have an advantage that I thought they would. With the lower pp the ff and Fr cars get the power down fine with little if any wheel spin. The advantage to the awd cars has always been in the higher pp levels where they can get all the power to the wheels where as the ff and Fr cars were not able to. The down side to the awd cars at this lower pp is that they still have all the disadvantages in the handling.

dean1484
7/1/15 11:37 p.m.

In short awd so far does not seem to be the hot setup. The reverse of this is the ff cars. Mudd was smoking us in a 90s corolla. Go figure.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
7/2/15 12:16 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

I agree with your assessment. I thought it might have been be my tune/driving style that had the AWD cars off pace in my testing (they were all mid-pack at best), but after tonight I'm sure it's the cars. I ran 1:10's in 4 cars at GVE tonight: one was FF, 2 were FR, and 1 was MR, the only platform that is off pace is AWD. We may need to give them a small PP bump to compensate for the PP hit they take for being AWD.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
7/2/15 7:19 a.m.

I like the 90s Japanese cars. Plenty of cars to choose from and they all seem pretty comparable in times.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
7/2/15 9:59 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: I like the 90s Japanese cars. Plenty of cars to choose from and they all seem pretty comparable in times.

There are a ton of cars to choose from. I posted the list of cars I tested for ringers, which I thought was fairly comprehensive until at least 5 cars I didn't test got brought out last night and were turning decent lap times. Who knew a Corolla could be so fast?

The main result from my testing for ringers led me to one main conclusion: this is a series that will take some prep work and dialing in tunes. I do believe that there are a lot of different cars that can be competitive in this series, but the fastest cars for me were the ones I had spent the most time in and had already worked up tunes for.

Spool, I have a challenge for you. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get an AWD car at 425pp on SM tires around Trial Mountain at 1:35.700 or faster.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
7/2/15 1:15 p.m.

I'll take that challenge. It'll be a few days before I can get online though.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
7/2/15 1:47 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

No worries, we're not in a time crunch here, just seeing if someone can make the AWD cars work at this PP. Given that you were driving an Impreza the other night, TM is your favorite track, and your speed in general you make a good candidate

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
7/2/15 2:06 p.m.

Thanks Matt.

And 425pp? I thought we were testing them at 450?

dean1484
7/2/15 5:14 p.m.

For us mere driving mortals it is 450.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
7/2/15 11:27 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: For us mere driving mortals it is 450.

Exactly! If Spool can do it at 425 the rest of us should be able to at 450

dean1484
7/5/15 1:06 p.m.

I raced in a really fun room that I opened Friday night.

04 civic r type 500 pp full tune race tune race tires. I also had a minimum weight set. I will have to look that up but it was something like 1175 kg.

It was a boatload of fun. Got a full room and it was great racing.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
7/7/15 9:44 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: I'll take that challenge. It'll be a few days before I can get online though.

Well, I failed the challenge. Closest I could get was a 1.38.8 at 425pp.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
7/7/15 10:46 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

It was supposed to be 450, I just had a brain lapse when posting. Not sure if 25pp is making up 3 seconds though.

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
94hFbC7V32nyDx988VVAtwuYh0MYIqAVApkREoEohVziBrxk00SJ3QHdUs9KFIbS