SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
12/14/15 4:36 p.m.

In the vein of SyntheticBlinkerFluid's thread on the game Rage, I present to you: Singularity.

I'll be taking a look at the PS3 version, but it also came out for the 360 and the PC.

Here's the premise of the game: It's a story driven First Person Shooter based around a fictional island that was once the home of controversial Soviet experiments. On the island, a mineral called E99 was found, and it was found to be more powerful than uranium, but it was also a lot more volatile. There was an accident on the island back in the 1950's and it was abandoned. A US Marine detachment in the present day was sent to the island after energy bursts were detected from the vicinity, and your character is the leader of that patrol. As you investigate the island, things get really weird, whacko mutants start attacking you, and time shifts start happening, bringing you back to the time of the disaster. You end up messing up the timeline, and you are tasked with figuring out how to make things right again.

Still with me? Ok!

The game plays similarly to Bioshock, and you eventually obtain this time manipulation device that allows you to do all sorts of cool stuff.

You can restore broken objects, rapidly age enemies to death, and trace footsteps of characters through timelines to figure out new objectives. And you can pick stuff up and kill enemies with it like the image below!

The game is mostly single player and story driven, so no 10 year olds in multiplayer modes constantly insulting your mom in this one. I do think there may be multiplayer options, but there's probably like 3 people playing it online now.

Gameplay is top notch and polished, and it's a ton of fun. It looks pretty great, even for a game that's now over 5 years old. The story really drags you in, and you want to find out what happens next and gain more powers to mess enemies up. I still haven't finished the game, but it's quickly becoming one of my favorites in the genre. Only gripe I have is that some of the objectives can be convoluted sometimes. It took a few minutes extra on some of them to figure out what to do next. But other than that, I highly recommend this one, especially for the price. I paid $2.50 for it on sale, but it's usually less than $5. You can't go wrong here.

Rating: 4.5 Miatas.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
12/14/15 7:19 p.m.

I will have to check it out.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/14/15 7:40 p.m.

Same here.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
12/14/15 8:55 p.m.

Yeah, this one totally flew under the radar. I saw it on one of those "Hidden Gems" videos on Youtube and had to have it. I'm a sucker for time travel games.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4xGIWoaqhDGuGJnZqmFcIhmXIuffYIeRqzjRJ6UWJ3GijSnPEJxVuuZ6F1zVrq2y