1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/8/18 7:03 a.m.

My race was a train wreck. When you start a race, you are given warm tires and brakes, which is great. In the colder environment and with this track, my rear tires run a bit below full operating temp (I should probably have tuned that out), so after a few laps my rear tires actually cooled down which changed the handling more than I expected... at least that’s the excuse I’m going to use. Once I was off, I was in a pile of traffic and 1 off bred another and another. Surprisingly easy at this track. Before long I was racing with Sauce and Air again.. although we weren’t on the same lap. Eventually things settled and I was able to turn some consistent laps, but by that point my race was over. Ended the night by getting punted by a bot. 

Points and replay are posted. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/8/18 11:35 a.m.

My race was pretty typical.  Practice and qualifying resulted in about a 50% spin chance on the first corner as I tried to take it as fast as possible.  The only way to do that seemed to involve a small amount of air time.  The race involved me following Sauce around for a about 15 min as he slowly pulled away (I finally decided that actually slowing down for the 1st corner was prudent idea).  Once Sauce disappeared from view, I notice Brad had disappeared from 3rd.  I eventually came up on him as a lap car and passed him.

Considering the absurdity of catching Sauce, and the chance of Brad un-lapping himself, I decided to slow down and see if I Brad and I could play around for the rest of the race.  Well... we got to talking, and taking (in this game) gets to spinning, and we both did that a few times.  Eventually the pack of suicidal collision happy AI cars started catching up and one spin too many put me in the middle of them.   Getting back on track resulted in a hardy shunt from one of them (which I think resulted in Sauce doing some lawn mowing).  I  worked my way through the AI cars a bit (not easy on this track) but ran out of time before getting back to my 2 spot.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/8/18 4:06 p.m.

Sorry that I missed the crash fest. The replay didn't look like a full grid of cars? The AI did seem to all stay in a clump during the race. Not a great track. Hopefully this week is better.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
2/8/18 6:36 p.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

We only had 10 cars total, which for this track was plenty.  

Air, if you hadn't waited for Brad you might have had a chance to catch me late in the race.  Granted my first wreck was plowing both you and the AI you tangled with, but the subsequent events like getting PIT maneuvered by AI in Clark's and some other mishaps cost me 20+ seconds to the 2nd place AI car.  Had you held your pace and kept your nose clean I think you probably would have had a shot at winning.

BradLTL
2/8/18 6:46 p.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

Yea, it’s like PC1. You have to reserve human driver slots, and then you get bots for the rest. In order to keep it fair, I don’t change the number of bots event to event. If a person doesn’t show, that’s more points they are potentially giving to the other drivers. 

Add you, spool, chadeux, rotary, dean and Paul and the grid is full. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/8/18 9:25 p.m.

I am going to add the links to the calculators here so I can find them.   Brad, this might be something to have as a standard info thing on the first post.

I still don't know what to do with the Suspension Calculator really.  Maybe Mr Argo can give us a bit of a hint.

--------------------------------------------------

A suspension calculator.  I guess the best summary here is that is makes tuning a bit more like GT.  I played with it a bit, and did see an improvement, but that just may have been the driver...

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?54023-Project-CARS-2-Suspension-Calculator-v0-96

And a diff calculator...

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52783-Magic-inside!-Need-Help-With-Differentials&p=1367069&viewfull=1#post1367069

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
2/8/18 10:45 p.m.

I've actually played with the suspension calculator quite a bit and have a mixed review.  It helped me initially and can point you in the right direction when tuning, but my final setups have deviated from the recommendations based on feel/personal preference.  I don't blame the sheet though, I think the problem is how bumpy the tracks have been.  According to the spreadsheet at my current spring rates it's impossible to get the rear within the lines on the graph, regardless of what bump and rebound settings are used, but for me softer springs make the car a LOT more drivable at the last two tracks.  Is it ideal?  Maybe not, but it works well enough for my purposes. That said, as a baseline I think the sheet really does help, but play with things a bit beyond that to suit the track and your style.  

Argo1
2/9/18 12:08 a.m.

I found the calculator to be really effective with the GT3.  That was mostly smoother, faster tracks.  I have not found it to be very useful with the FJ.  Maybe it's more tailored to GT cars.  Ive gone back to basic tuning by how the car behaves.  At least, unlike the GT series (4,5,6,S), the car will respond to adjustments how an actual car will respond.  I have an "OK" setup but it is far from good.  I won't get any practice time this week to try to improve it.  It will be like the last series and I will finally get it dialed in on the last race.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
2/10/18 11:44 p.m.
aircooled said:

Routers do need to be reset.  Have you done a restart of it (unplug and plug back in if needed).

The next track is actually pretty interesting 

Lots of elevation changes (the blue areas show the hills).. Some pretty tight corners and in general a nice flow.  Very narrow though.  It would be a great course to drive a small sports car around.

I ran a few laps tonight, it's not the easiest track in terms of visuals but is pretty fun.  There are a couple places where the brake point is before you can see the corner, which definitely makes things interesting.  It also seems to be a much easier track to tune for since it's nowhere near as bumpy as the last couple have been. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
2/11/18 2:16 p.m.

I ran a few more laps today and I rather like this track. It isn't always the easiest to stay clean (it doesn't take much to run wide at exit of the hairpin) but as Air said it flows well. Currently my laps are in the 1:36's with a one-off 1:35. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/18 3:40 p.m.

Ps4pro is in the house. Ordered a g29 and will order pc2. I also got a new 65” plasma tv to game with so now that the retooling of my gaming area is almost complete I can come back and see about whooping up on you all a bit. 

Speaking of things where is Spool?  Is he racing with you all?  I need to start some smack talking with him. I mean I am a couch racer where he is a real wheelman.  What could go wrong?  smiley

BradLTL
2/11/18 6:00 p.m.

Spool is too busy racing real cars on Wednesday nights at 9:30 to slum it with us. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
2/11/18 6:08 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Aw yeah, we're getting the band back together!

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
2/11/18 6:58 p.m.

Just placed an order for a G29, shifter and wheel stand. Now to come up with a new excuse for mowing so much grass.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
2/11/18 10:03 p.m.

Ran some more laps this evening, with a couple tuning tweaks and getting more used to the track I'm down to regular 35's and have hit 34's.  On an ideal lap (which would take a lot) 33's might be possible.  The baseline settings from Snetterton I posted earlier in this thread actually work really well here.  I'm using that setup with 3 very minor changes, and I think I'm pretty much done tuning.  

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
2/12/18 2:50 p.m.

Never mind, bit of a logistical screw up on my end, I get at least another week to think of an excuse.

dean1484
2/12/18 9:49 p.m.

Wheel shows up tomorrow. I played a little with pc2 with the controller and my first impressions just getting in to a car (kind of looked like a nsx) is I was driving Dump Truck That does not know the meaning of trail braking.  Unless these things are wildly tunable this is not reality. No one would baseline cars like this.  I need to let the balance of the car packs upload overnight and then I assume there will be some updates?

At that point I am going to need you all to give me the accelerated course in tuning.  

dean1484
2/12/18 9:50 p.m.

It was the fastest dump truck in a strait line. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/12/18 10:49 p.m.

Yes, the McLaren "demo" car is a horrible choice and is not reflective of most of the cars in the game.  My best suggestion for driving the Formula Junior is to drive it like a Yellowbird in GT6, then work your way up from there.  They a quite tail happy, but generally pretty stable under power.

The messing around we did with harder tires in GT6 will work to your advantage in PC2.  PC2 is FAR less forgiving handling wise, especially at the limit.  Much more rewarding when you get it though.

Do yourself a favor, when you get setup, turn your volume way up and drive the Lotus 49 from the cockpit view.... zowie!

Tune in early on Wednesday and we can talk you through some of the common best settings (there are a LOT of options).

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
2/12/18 10:55 p.m.

Dean, I will say two things.  First, on a controller I couldn't get the car to do what I wanted no matter what I tried.  Second, even on a wheel it's still a steep learning curve given how different this game is from GT.  

That said, most of the difference is in the physics, not the tuning.  Don't get me wrong, the tuning matters, probably even more so than in GT, but in transition learning the feel matters a lot more than the numbers in the setup.  You're good at this, but to reiterate what has been posted previously pace management is key in this game.  It's a lot more like real life, you have to warm up the tires and brakes before going full bore, and overdriving is punished heavily.  If you can run consistent 90%+ laps you'll be fine.

dean1484
2/13/18 6:36 a.m.

This is going to be interesting. 

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver Reader
2/13/18 4:46 p.m.

"Interesting" is such a mild word for this.  wink

OK, have changed up the networking for the PS4Pro, but haven't had a chance to test it yet (and haven't run Lap 1 on Caldwell).  This will be a bit of frantic  chaos to see if I can actually complete a session.

Argo1
2/13/18 5:18 p.m.

Got home and was able to run a few laps at Caldwell.  Nice flowing track but narrow for how fast some of the sections are.  I'm certainly not fast...running in the  37's.  Can't seem to wrap my head around Gooseneck.  I have mowed a lot of grass.

Glad to get you with us Dean.

BradLTL
2/13/18 5:30 p.m.

Ugh. I haven’t run a lap since last week. Hopefully will be able to get a little practice in tonight. I’ll open a session if I get on. Long practice, short race style. 

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver Reader
2/13/18 7:20 p.m.

Hmm.  Connected via totally different network (wired connection through a pseudo-Arris set top / router), managed to get in a race on the WGI Short Course, then some practice on Fuji GP in Ford GT40s ( default setup NOT recommended!  surprise ) with no network hiccups.

Ran laps on Caldwell GP in the 1.41 range, I find myself taking a liking to UK natural terrain tracks.  The blind jump after the left-right chicane reminds me of the backside of Lime Rock before the cutoff was introduced.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rWn4ObhKMGfgKbAUSnc7wxcgei8vLrfps77pOTAOwF5ufHqvclwaIJCCGSQ3srjN