1 ... 11 12 13
e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/8/18 8:32 p.m.

I want to give a shout out to Air, he ran a heck of a race.  He stayed right on me for the first couple laps and even after a small gap opened up and he barely had draft he didn't let me pull away.  It was an intense game of trying to pressure each other into a mistake, me trying to set an unsustainably high pace and him showing that that wasn't enough.  Eventually something happened on lap 9 and I finally got away from him, but he gave me a heck of a run until then.  To put into perspective how hard I was pushing, every one of the 7 flying laps he was on me was between 1:03.5 and 1:03.8, and even in the draft that's a difficult pace to hit much less sustain especially with a full fuel load. 

I hadn't counted on the initial sprint to break the draft taking nearly as long as it did, and after lap 5 or 6 was starting to get worried that I was wearing out my front left tire too fast and would have trouble in the second half of the race.   Fortunately after I had some space and slowed down a bit the temps got back in range the the wear slowed down, but having had some issues with tire wear in the last race I was well aware that I was taking a risk.

And like Brad I'll post a couple of my graphs

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/8/18 9:11 p.m.

Brad, is there any way to review telemetry after the fact or is it only during the session?  Real time telemetry is nice, but the real value is in looking at it later and comparing lines and inputs.  The app has some neat features but if it doesn't do that then it's missing the most important piece.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/18 9:23 p.m.

I've only seen it in the real time.  It's just displaying what PC2 is streaming.  That's a lot more data than just lap times, you'd have to build out the infrastructure to support it... it would likely cost more than $5 then.

On a related note... anyone want to build an app?  :)

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/8/18 9:41 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

The thing is, they've done the hard part.  They're already reading the data and have a display, it's literally just a matter of actually recording it and making it available.  I'll submit a comment, see what comes back.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/8/18 9:53 p.m.

Yeah, it was an interesting race.  In a desperate attempt to get a bit more speed through T1, I got rid of a bit of rear toe and doubled the rear bar... right before the start.  It worked out though, I was surprised to be able to stay with Sauce for a number of laps.  I would be interesting to see a diagram of everone's lines though a couple of those corners.  Sauce and I had very different ones though the big looping turn.

Strangely, my attempts to intimidate Sauce came to no avail.  I got very close to him at some points (good thing there where no heavy braking zones) but the only minor opportunities to pass from a mistake on his part resulted in me dong the same mistake.  He slowly pulled way, and I set in for the duration.  At some point I notes that sneaky Brad closing the gap and realized he wanted my point!!  I had to step it up a bit to keep him out of reach, but never had any real issues with tires.

I have to say, a fun car to drive once you get used to them.  I really enjoyed letting off the gas a bit to get a nice drift turn into T1. Maybe it was the update, but I really didn't have any control issues with the car in the last few races.  Grass is clearly something to be avoided, but even that or a huge slide, just required neutral throttle and very little steering input.

I played around with some of the vintage touring cars (911, Jag).  The Jag is a bit of a monster, clearly more powerful than the other cars.  They both sound GREAT though.

For next week, we really need to expose Dean to the Clio (it proves that we WERE tuning the FWD cars in GT6 properly).  The vintage touring are on deck also.  I am thinking of the Megan Trophy cars and the Ausi V8 super cars as some high power options.  I have not even tried the NASCAR cars in PC2 yet and I am a bit curious.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/11/18 9:31 p.m.

I finally got a chance to go back and look at the replay of the dustup with brad and it was not what I expected. Brad if you have the replay take a look. From my car you ran in to my rear wheel with your front wheel.  What it proves is the peripheral vision in this game is not good at all. 

Is there an adjustment in the game for the field of view?  

I spent a good part of today racing bots and there is absolutely no peripheral vision in these cars. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/12/18 1:20 a.m.

You can adjust field of view and I did increase mine a bit. I do find the look left and right only looking 45 degrees a bit irritating. Why not 90 deg? It makes it almost impossible to look at a car next to you.

BradLTL
3/12/18 6:16 a.m.

I have my field of view bumped up to like 85, that helps. I also have the proximity indicator turned on. That usually points arrows to where other cars are around you. I know I didn’t see or expect you there, and it’s possible that I missed the proximity indicator while focusing my attention on keeping up with Sauce and Air. I’m traveling and won’t have time to watch the replay, I’ll take you word for it Dean Rossi. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/18 8:35 a.m.

I was surprised when I watched it as I thaught we were side by side because I never saw you. I had no clue where you were. I was actually worried that I did something dumb (remember the tangerine torpedo? smiley)  

I am not running proximity warnings. At least I don’t think I am. I learned to ignore those in GT6 as they were only correct about 25 percent of the time. 

I am going to have to play with the field of view as it will change my perception of distance if I make the FOV wider. 

I ran about ten races at willow springs with 30 cars and started in the back every time. It is great practice for passing and getting an understanding of the AI. 

BradLTL
3/12/18 8:47 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I may very well have turned in on you, I certainly didn’t expect you to be there. 

I will say the spotter and proximity indicator are actually very useful in this game... if you pay attention to them. Both are turned on in the gameplay options. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/12/18 8:09 p.m.

Dean, the proximity indicators work differently in this game.  It shows an arrow in the direction and changes color based on how close you are, green meaning they're there, orange if they're close enough to challenge, and red if you're really close.  They definitely work better than GT6 indicators did.

1 ... 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZJgpdf5lEBiwnUt0kNUJ9ccFy7G5Ypa1FliWkbHJBs9TLGIAVLR5EgczNBNYXR3E