1 ... 22 23 24
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/12/18 9:41 a.m.

I keep thinking I am missing something with my setup on this track. I gained a little time by taking out some down force the other day. Last night I tried to soften my roll bars a bit and messed with my TC setting. Not sure if it made things better or worse.

I may play around with setup some more tonight to see if there is some magic still to be had. My issues with this track just might be with the loose nut and not my setup.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/12/18 10:00 a.m.

I haven’t turned on the PS4 since the last race. Should be primed for a hard fought battle for last place. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/18 7:22 p.m.

Oh we also learned that you don’t need the AI to crash you in t1 at the start of the race.  Lol. 

This track demands your constant attention and as such I can see brain fade as a real issue during the race. 

BradLTL
6/12/18 10:22 p.m.

Was able to run a few laps practice, maybe or so. Managed a 1:49.7. Was faster than the bots, but no idea where that is compared to you people. 

Post-patch it seems like the HUD got an overhaul. There are significantly more colors for tire and brake temps. 

Also ran 2 laps in an LMP car at LeMans. The speed difference and responsiveness is incredible. I’ll put together the setup and schedule for that race later this week. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/13/18 10:07 a.m.

Brad, I think that puts you a little slower than Argo, Dean and me. Then we are all slow compared to Sauce.

I've gotten a few laps in the 1:45's, but seem to run a comfortable race pace more like 1:47-48 with a sprinkling of 1:46s once in a while.

BatsonWorkshop
BatsonWorkshop New Reader
6/13/18 11:40 a.m.

Ran some practice last night against AI set to 85/25 and managed to out pace them. Fairly consistent in the 1:50 range with an occasional 1:49 depending what corners I cut tight and how much focus my brain put on driving vs thinking about work tomorrow. 

By the pace numbers you guys are running I have little hope of placing high on the list even if I run perfectly clean laps, but I'd love to just finish above most of the AI in a full race for once.

Running softs I only get about 5-6 aggressive laps before they start to overheat even with track temps at 95°. I can hit most clean laps below 1:50 with softs. With hards I get the duration of the race, but just cant find the suspension setup to get a level of grip and turn in response that I am happy with. On hards I cant get below 1:50 without cutting the last few S's and getting a penalty.

dean1484
6/13/18 12:32 p.m.

I think my best was a 1:47 somthing and that was a one off lap.  Race pace is 1:49-1:51

The really funny part is that it was telling me that my potential lap if I got all the sectors correct was a 1:26 or something. Ya like that is going to happen.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/13/18 12:41 p.m.

I am out because I am out of town.

I did get a chance to try the vintage Le Mans cars.  They are a wild ride.  Super low ride hight makes for a big speed effect.  Very bumpy straight and 200 mph chicanes on the vintage track are interesting.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/13/18 1:16 p.m.

In reply to BatsonWorkshop :

Yorkie says that softs are good for track temps up to 86F and above that hards are better. He gives a max tire temp for the softs of 203F, so with a track temp of 95F (and then rising throughout the race as the clouds move out), I would think it is not worth messing with the softs for this race. I think at the end when the weather clears the track temp gets up close to 120F. I know I've seen it at 118F during practice.

I find this track is slippery no matter what tires I use. It just seems like there is low grip here.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/13/18 1:25 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I drove a couple of them as well, but on the modern version of the track. Try out the 2016 LMP1 cars - they accelerate like a rocket when you use the hybrid system.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/13/18 1:29 p.m.

This track is not one of the best for the AIs, so, if you stay on track and don't spin, staying ahead of the AIs is doable. They are not as bad as Zolder or Brands Hatch in that I don't end up catching the backmarkers and having the deal with lapped traffic, but they are way slower than they were at say Silverstone.

A steady consistent race pace is what I hope to run and just not worry about anyone else and just make sure to do well enough in quali to make it through turn 1 unscathed.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/13/18 10:48 p.m.

My worst result of the season, but maybe the most fun. I think I had more non AI wheel to wheel racing tonight than the rest of the series added together. 

I got a good start then pretty much ran Argo off into the grass. Sorry about that. Replay shows I had room to Sauce and shouldn't have came over so far on you. 

Had fun holding Sauce up for a few laps, then following him for a bit after he got me on the front straight. I ended up in a wall at T2 and then got to follow Argo for a bit. I couldn't pass, but just hoped for a mistake. Sauce had an of and Argo and I got by, then I lost it and hit another wall. So much for that. Eventually I had a few fun laps with Dean although I wrecked him twice. Lost touch after a spin coning onto the straight. Ended up behind Brad. He was nice and let me by after I caught up. I had an AI, Dean and Headshot in my sights and caught  up to the back of the train. Took myself out ramming the AI. Ended up recatching him and passed him with a couple minutes to go. Was closing in again on Dean, but time ran out before I could wreck him a 3rd time. 

I didn't realize headshot had a 20 sec penalty, so I was surprised to see that I picked up a place at the end. Good race headshot other than the start. 

dean1484
6/14/18 6:27 a.m.

Good fun last night. I think I finished one spot better than I anticipated even with the crashes. 

BatsonWorkshop
BatsonWorkshop New Reader
6/14/18 8:56 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Thanks, happy with the results. First one so far where I didnt f*** up so bad that I ended up in last lol. Finished 3rd on track thanks to your incident with dean and just worked to stay far enough ahead to not be passed. Had 3-4 spins or near spins that I lost a significant amount of time, Had I kept it clean every lap the 20 second penalty might not have mattered to my finishing position based on time. 

Never ran a full continuous half hour on that track and about 20 minutes in quickly realized I should have, The last 10 minutes I was battling the car for traction as my tires were a little more worn than anticipated. Probably could have tweaked the suspension setup to help that had I known. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/14/18 10:17 a.m.

I noticed when watching the replay that I was lifting my front inside tire on the faster corners. Now I know what the FFB was trying to tell me going around those turns. Guess I needed a little more work on my setup as well.

BradLTL
6/14/18 1:47 p.m.

My race went a bit better than expected. Meaning, I didn’t crash. I could have been more competitive with soft tires, but they were only good for 2 laps or so. Ben with the hards up to temp, my pace was still 2 full seconds slower. My plan was hoping for carnage and to try and keep my car on track. I haven’t watched the replay yet, so I don’t know exactly what happened, but after Baston/Headshot jumped the start and then got out of it, I had to go to the middle lane to not hit him. I was running in the middle of a few cars but we were all holding our lanes, and then I was spinning. I feel like I was hit a few times, but managed to stop pointing to right way and in give or take the same position. I was about 6-7 seconds behind the cars in front of me by T2, but just try to run clean the rest of the way hoping for others mistakes. I was a bit surprised to see TJ. When he caught back up to me, I just got out of the way. I could have held him up, but probably not for the remaining 15 minutes or whatever. So I let him go to focus on running clean. Towards the end of the race I tried to get within 20 seconds of Headshot, but came up 9 seconds short. I needed a mistake that never came. 

I’m hoping that next series I’ll be able to be more consistent in my preparation and won’t have the drop off I did this series. 

BradLTL
6/14/18 4:03 p.m.

Points updated, replay posted.  I'd like to dedicate my 2nd place finish in the series to.... "just showing up" 

Also, I'm very sorry to report on Argo's passing... it was spectacular:

1 ... 22 23 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HeDlds6s8InG4mKnXwo3qY0wMtbupNnG77xhcAQ6lzJMiQ3uA8AmRIfmjLKOKQwz