1 2 3 4 5
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/19 6:29 p.m.

Dang Air.  We are in trouble. TJ is getting serious. New parts for his rig. I thing he really wants to get a win from Sauce. laugh

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/3/19 7:28 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Lol. I really want a Fanatec setup, but just can't bring myself to spend the $ on it. Ricmotech sells a load cell brake mod for logitech pedals for a little over a hundred. Figured I'd give that a shot. 

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/3/19 11:20 p.m.

Honestly, I haven't seen that much difference with the Fanatec load cell.  Fanatec, in general, hasn't improved my driving talent.  I think that you get used to what you have.

We ran this track before.  Don't remember what series.  I enjoy the track.  Understeer at this track is death to lap times.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/4/19 10:03 a.m.

More oversteer needed you say?  Sounds like a challenge I am up to laugh

Considering my wheel dropped dead in the middle of the race last race, I might be in the line for a new one at some point.  I am curious how TJ likes the load cell, because that is one improvement I would like. The no-feedback brake pedal makes it very difficult to practice heal toe. The pedal is just too mushy.  It's kind of like the real cars I drive.  I can easily heal toe in the Ghia and Corvair, but in the wifes MS3, unless I want to end up through the window (brakes way too sensitive), it's almost impossible. I could probably do it if I was being really aggressive but with an MS3 and being on the street, that could get out of hand really quick.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/4/19 10:10 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I'm not sure these cars understeer very much no matter what you do to them. If you induce understeer with suspension settings, your right foot should be able to overcome that (at least on the slower corners).

I'm mostly interested in getting the brake pedal to feel more realistic, whether or not that helps with laptimes I don't know, but if it feels more like driving, I will like it better. I'll let you know once I get and get it installed.

https://www.ricmotech.com/Load_Cell_Upgrade_Kit_for_Logitech_Pedals_p/rmt-lc27.htm

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/4/19 12:29 p.m.

Oh, looks like those work with the earlier pedals also, so I might be interested if it's good.

The car clearly tends toward oversteer, but it seems like the suspension is setup to try to suppress it which seems to have the effect of roasting the front tires in faster corners.

Argo1
3/4/19 2:35 p.m.

That's what I've seen. You can easily kick the tail out but if the overall balance isn't good front tire wear is an issue.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/4/19 3:33 p.m.

I'm going to be in MI for work and will miss both Oschersleben and Ruapuna Park races.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/5/19 9:42 p.m.

Good practice session tonight. Ended up with some tweaks to my setup that make it work a bit better thanks to the group tuning effort.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/5/19 10:48 p.m.

I was doing some laps also.  Much better track for this car. I am pretty sure a bit of sliding is faster (doesn’t hurt tires since it mostly affects the rears).  I need a bit more turn in though.

Strange car. Just a weird combination of oversteering and understeering.

dean1484
3/6/19 10:23 p.m.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/19 10:23 p.m.

Racing setup walk of shame....

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/6/19 10:24 p.m.

dean1484
3/6/19 10:27 p.m.

dean1484
3/6/19 10:28 p.m.

dean1484
3/6/19 10:29 p.m.

dean1484
3/6/19 10:31 p.m.

Argo1
3/6/19 10:35 p.m.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/6/19 10:37 p.m.

Mine lives in the garage. 

Argo1
3/6/19 10:53 p.m.

I just want to point out that the bad news in this is that Dean has now figured out how to upload photos.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/7/19 10:47 a.m.

I had planned on running 5-6 laps in practice and then just coming back for Qualli because I think with the hour of practice I am worn out before the race starts, but the track was so much different feeling than what I practiced on, it was throwing me off, so I spent the whole practice time doing laps, trying to get a handle on things.

Not a good start, but managed to get up to P3 coming out of T1. After I got past Dean and managed to get a couple seconds gap on him, I was 3-4 seconds behind Sauce. The car felt way better than it did in practice and Quali, I don't know if the track warmed up or what, but it felt better to me. I decided to push to see if I could bridge up to Sauce and I got greedy and took too much curb at T2 on lap 7 (I think) and spun. Went from a solid P2 to a tenuous P4 not too far ahead of Brad and Argo.

I started trying to reel in Dean, but spun again two laps later between the last two corners and lost the ground I had made up. Started the chase again, this time eventually catching up. Pestered him for a lap or two and he decided to let me go. I was enjoying the fight of trying to get by him. Then I started trying to catch up to Air in P2. I was making progress but not fast enough when he had an off, and I caught up to him maybe on lap 29. I noticed he went a bit wide in T1 some laps, so on the last lap, I was able to get inside him and take P2. Then I turned in too late for that final turn and ended up with two wheels in the grass giving the place back to Air. I think he got me by maybe 3 tenths at the line.

EDIT: Somehow my RS Dash only recorded Qualli, but didn't capture the race. I'm sure it was operator error on my part, but I was hoping to be able to look at the data. I was a full 30 secs slower than my practice race.

EDIT EDIT: My data showed up in RS Dash 2 days later. I managed tire wear well (22% wear on left front), but other than that no high points from me. In my practice race, I managed to get every lap but three in the 56's (first lap, one lap was in the low 57's and one was in the high 55's). I did a lot of 57's this race.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/7/19 5:39 p.m.

Watch this to prepare for next week's race. Looks like a fun track other than T1. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/7/19 5:43 p.m.

That crash video needs more orange cars.

dean1484
3/8/19 7:38 a.m.

laugh

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/8/19 2:08 p.m.

The Mugello track temps were 20F cooler(93F vs 113F) than what I practiced for (ambient temps were 10F lower, 77F vs 87F). It is interesting that it made such a big difference in how the car felt. I like that it was a bit different because in real life you'd never have the luxury of knowing the exact temps before a race and we all have to race on the same track with the same conditions.

I tried some laps at that track with the date set to winter....that was tough. The tires really do not like the cold. I wonder if at some temperature track tires or one of the other tire choices would actually be faster than the semi-slicks. RS dash indicates that 147F or so is the point above which the tires are no longer cold. Only my left front got above that for any significant time. Not sure if RS Dash changes the 'cold' line based on the tire you are running or if it just a generic line.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0dkpEM4Go7l90MbtrbaILk136bhxvlV2XgjeSr8erArD95jhaL5sYJvCLcGlJYKc