1 2 3 ... 9
BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/20 11:17 a.m.

Welcome to the (un)official GRM - Project CARS2  series #9.

This is a 7 round Indy Car Endurance Championship series hosted on the PlayStation4. Although highly competitive the main focus of the racing is fun clean racing. Because of this, rough driving is highly discouraged and often mocked. The Stewards will be watching.

The series will be run on **Wednesday nights at 9:00ET**.

The first race will be on: **January 22nd, 2020**

PS+ is required to participate.

Rounds:

Cars: Indy Car (Chevy) - Identical competitors

• BradLTL - #20
  • Dean - 
  • Air - 
  • TJ - #6
  • Sauce - #9
  • Dark -
  • Argo - #3

Rules:

• Races will be based on time as follows: Practice 60 minutes / Qualification 10 minutes / Race 60 minutes
  • A bonus point will be awarded for the fastest lap for the finisher off the podium (4th and lower)
  • Realistic Driving Aids
  • Fuel usage is set to Yes
  • Tire usage will be set to "Accelerated"
  • Damage will be visual only
  • Flag will be ON
  • Standing starts
  • Track Limit Penalties will be ON
  • Drive Through Penalties will be OFF
  • Ghost cars will be ON
  • AI drivers will fill the field and be start at 120%.
  • AI drivers aggression will be set to 25%
  • Competitive Racing License will be ON
  • Time progression 2x

Championship Standings:

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
1/16/20 11:55 a.m.

I spent a couple hours in these cars this morning, they're a lot of fun.  I still need some more practice and to figure out tire pressures/strategy, but the default setup is fine for me.

And since we're claiming liveries dibs on #9

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/16/20 12:46 p.m.

Is the starting line at Texas Motor Speedway on banking like Daytona? If so, we may want a rolling start for that one. Daytona standing starts are tricky because any wheelspin results in the rear of the car sliding down the banking. I will miss rounds 2 and probably 6 due to work travel.

BradLTL
1/16/20 1:18 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

You have to do rolling starts on Ovals.  Should have noted that.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/16/20 4:02 p.m.

I'll take #6. 

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/16/20 10:57 p.m.

Put me down for #3.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/17/20 7:43 p.m.

I'll be on in a bit for some practice. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/18/20 1:13 p.m.

Played around with some setup changes today that made the car better for me at Long Beach. Getting closer to being happy with the car. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/20 2:15 p.m.

Not having fun with Long Beach in these cars. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/19/20 12:35 a.m.

That track may be local to me, but it sucks.

BradLTL
1/19/20 7:13 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

It was Argo's suggestion. 

We've run it a couple times, the races have been pretty good, which is surprising. We don't often run street courses, bit with damage off it shouldn't be too terrible. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/19/20 12:42 p.m.

I don't mind it on the schedule, but not sure I would've put it first. It does manage to get the least forgiving track out of the way right at the start though.

Instead of (or in addition to) the off-podium fastest lap point, how about a bonus point for finishing with both wings on the car? Not sure if they get replaced during pitstops or not. Also not sure if 60 min races will be too long to save the replays.

BradLTL
1/19/20 12:42 p.m.

I ran a few laps this morning and it was not terrible. I think the fast strategy is to run the fast tires slow. 

On reds I was running 1:09s

On blacks I was running 1:12s

Pit stop took about 40s

The AI was running 1:08s

Running the wheels off the car I was faster, but ran the reds off in 6 laps. Running them slow I was able to just about double the distance while only dropping 0.5s/lap. 

BradLTL
1/19/20 12:44 p.m.

Also, the bumps going into T5 are tricky on the black tires. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/19/20 1:10 p.m.

That bump is the toughest part of the track for me on either tire. My best lap time so far was a low 1:07's on the red tires. Seems like 1:10-1:12 would be a decent race pace, but I am not consistently there yet.

I haven't worked on any strategy yet. I do know that the black tires don't get much wear in a 30 minute race and that a full tank of fuel lasts something more than 30 minutes. I need to try a longer run on the red tires to see how they wear. Based on fuel, a no stopper is not an option and at least one stop will be needed. Maybe more if red tires are involved.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/20/20 11:10 a.m.

Looks like it may be possible to start with a full tank, run till halfway, then fill up and make it to the end, but it will be close. I figure the race will end up being ~50-51 laps.

I've been seeing around 2.7L/lap (round up to 2.8L/lap to provide some margin) and we get 70L tanks, so 25 laps should be about the longest sting before the first pit stop. That should take things just to about the halfway point in time. It may end up being really close where a splash and go will be needed at some point to get to the full 60 minutes. I need to do a long stint to really see how many laps I can get out of a full tank, but I'm planning on making a splash and go pit strategy to add 10-15L of fuel.

Not sure yet on tire choice. Also need to test out the red tires to see if I can mange to make them last for a decent amount of time. Perhaps a better strategy may be to run the red tires and plan for a two stopper essentially creating three 20 minutes stints.

BradLTL
1/20/20 11:15 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I did that on the test night and the two tortoises managed to keep ahead just enough. I caught them, got by air and was right on Dean when air distracted me and I had a small off. By then I had ran the tires so hard I wasn't able to catch back up. 

The fast 2 stop and the slow 1 stop were really pretty close in terms of total race time. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/20/20 11:56 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Oh yeah, I forgot you guys already ran a 60 min race. So, I guess one fuel stop is enough then.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
1/20/20 1:47 p.m.

Still taking drivers? I just got Ps+

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/20/20 2:52 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Definitely. Welcome. What is your PSN name?

Send BradLTL a friend request.

I am M10PSI on PSN.

BradLTL
1/20/20 3:52 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Yes, and I may even you as already. 

dean1484
1/20/20 4:19 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

Still taking drivers? I just got Ps+

Welcome to the party!!!!

dean1484
1/20/20 4:21 p.m.

I am so bad at this track that even thinking about a strategy for me is kind of silly. I am still working on the getting dumped by AI and not rage quitting stratigy at the moment. 

My lap times are so bad I am thinking of running one lap and putting an AI in the car. 

dean1484
1/20/20 4:24 p.m.
BradLTL said:

In reply to trigun7469 :

Was Beer involved with this reply?  laugh

BradLTL
1/20/20 4:40 p.m.
dean1484 said:
BradLTL said:

In reply to trigun7469 :

Was Beer involved with this reply?  laugh

No... But I did let my dog in while typing only to discover she had rolled in E36M3 and I had to immediately drop my phone and give her an impromptu bath in 30 degree weather. 

Beer would have been a better option. 

1 2 3 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CYx8sUIPUaOxpXahmdhdbS4BDHSN8zHn40Avl8HB6a5wCczsX66e7xr0Vmvp6iKc